Our Furkids

Lil

We had a bunch of stuff going on over on Parent's about our furry kids. I think I mentioned before about our kitty having kidney issues. So does Copa. So here we are.

Lil

My (uh oh I was going to write daughter) cat will not eat the wet kidney diet (KD.) Only will eat the dry chicken KD. The wet is better because of the moisture.

Ours still won't eat the dry, but she will eat the wet - kind of. She won't unless we mix it with the type she likes, and if we get more than say 66/33 blend of KD to cheapo, she fusses and won't eat.

Did you try mixing your kitty's food she did like with the KD. Darn cats are very resistant to change!

Copabanana

Lil. I don't remember knowing your baby had kidney disease. Gee. A support group. Tell me as much as you want to share. There is a great site called Tanya's, all about it. (Tanya was a kitty cat.) Just Google Tanya feline kidney disease.

Copabanana

Ours still won't eat the dry, but she will eat the wet - kind of. She won't unless we mix it with the type she likes, and if we get more than say 66/33 blend of KD to cheapo, she fusses and won't eat.

Did you try mixing your kitty's food she did like with the KD. Darn cats are very resistant to change!
No. She seems adamant. You know who wears the pants.

What wet food are you using? The Univ hospital recommended royal canin pate but my vet doesn't carry it.

My cat is only 12. I feel so bad.

Lil

Oh we're okay Copa. She's an old cat and has had a good life. Sadly, they just don't live as long as humans and we know that. We're doing our best to get her to eat and we love her but when her time comes, we'll be sad, but ready. It's kind of like knowing your grandparents or parents will go, you know? Not like a kid. You aren't supposed to outlive your offspring, but you know you're unlikely to have a pet outlive you. It's just something you have to accept when the time comes.

12 is young. We lost out little girl dog last December and she was just 12. Cancer. It was very sad when we finally had to take her to say goodbye. Her little body was just done fighting.

Again, all you can do is what you can do and then accept the outcome.

We use the same food you do, the Hills KD, but the wet. We order from Chewy.com, which is cheaper than getting it from the vet.

Copabanana

I feel it's my fault. If I had recognized her thyroid sooner maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Lil. Do you know what stage she's in? How old is she?

Lil

I feel it's my fault. If I had recognized her thyroid sooner maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Are you a veterinarian? No? Then stop that. She's a cat. It's not like she could speak to you and tell you how she felt. Animals cover their illnesses VERY well. We didn't know Mac was going blind until we could see the white in his eyes. Same with Suzie's cancer. She acted like she felt fine. We didn't know until we saw actual blood on the carpet!

Boo (our kitty) is probably 16, maybe older. We got her as an adult cat so we're not 100% certain. That's not ancient for a cat - but it's certainly senior citizen. We haven't had her back to the vet since trying to switch food. It's time we do.

Elsi

Copa It’s not your fault! Kitties are very prone to this, unfortunately.

Stellaluna lived a good 6 years past diagnosis - to almost 20. And she wouldn’t eat the canned either. She was a dry crunchy girl. She did drink a lot, especially after I got her a fountain. Not one of the pet ones, a pretty one. She was a high class girl.

In the last two years it was a constant balance between the thyroid and the kidneys. Let the thyroid get a little worse to balance out the kidneys, or work on thyroid knowing kidney values would suffer. I did the thyroid stuff you rub In their ears.

She drank a lot and peed a lot but seemed overall happy. Her biggest problem as she got older was arthritis. She stopped wanting to get in the litter box, or would get mostly in but leave her butt hanging out the back. So we started putting those bed pads they use in nursing homes beside the box. After a while she gave up on the box entirely and just used the pads. But we made it work. She was happy, pretty much right to the end.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I just got put on notice that it's time, now that Thomas (the cat in my avatar) is 15, that it's time to start keeping an eye on his kidneys. His last bloodwork, done 3 weeks ago, indicated a slight rise in SDMA (a tiny bit above normal) The other two numbers are well within normal range. My vet says he's remarkably healthy for his age...other than needing a new skeleton. (His arthritis isn't improving with-age. The wonky heart and lungs seemed to have cleared up now that he, who had a few crystals in his urine, and Squeaky, who is a crystal factory and has other her bladder issues, are on Royal Canine, urinary S/O.

Neither will eat wet food. Thomas doesn't eat wet food of any kind. Squeaky will small amounts of some commercial wet foods.

Squeaky is now 12, so I've got one senior and one geriatric cat, both on chronic medications.

Thomas for pain and constipation, and Squeaky on fluoxetine (Prozac) of all things. Laugh or not, but it does wonders for her anxiety and makes her much happier cat in general.

Lil

We've had potty problems too. Boo has never been a good squatter and she didn't really like enclosed boxes. Now that she's older, she's a bit arthritic and she'd started just using the floor for her #2's, though she was still weeing in the box. We took a plastic tote, cut it down so it's only about 3" on one side, but still tall on the other 3 sides, and then put it upstairs. She immediately started using it and can't go "over the side" as it were. She does sometimes miss the front, so we have a doggy pad in front.

Funny thing is, now she'll #2 in the box downstairs too! 2 boxes, one easy to get into, seems to have done the trick!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Soooo people of fur babies... all I can say is the Love and the capacity to share that love is so very apparent here.

We could Love our DCs to the ends of the earth. The issues they face are not from a deficit of loving parenting.

Copa
Not your fault. What if that little gem was with people who tossed her at the first sign of illness. She is in loving hands and that’s the important part.