Our Newest Stray

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It wasn't enough for Nichole to care for strays at our house. She's taken it up at boyfriend's house as well. :tongue:

Unfortunately though, this pup was not a stray in the beginning. It was brought home by one of boyfriend's neighbors in August as a tiny pup, tied outside and not paid attention to. Nichole has been admiring this sweet fella for months cuz he's so cute and sweet. And she felt sorry for him.

A few weeks ago, neighbors removed his collar and he's been loose every since. No food dishes are our for him. But he hasn't "run away" he stays in the neighborhood, the only place he's known. Nichole has caught him whoofing down cat food set out by residents for the stray cats over there. So she's been giving him dog food. My dog food of course. (can't even be boyfriend's dog food lol)

On nice days when she takes Aubrey out to play she says he appears out of nowhere to come and play too. He is enormous. He squishes her when he sits on her lap.......and being just still a pup......he of course things he's small enough to sit on her lap. lol

Last week she taught him the sit command. He showed her he remembered it this week for a buiscut. Nichole took pics of him this morning. Then when she tried to come home for dog food......he tried to get into the car. Then he tried to follow the car.:(

He is a very sweet gentle bumbly lovable character. He's stolen her heart. Nichole knows we probably can't even foster him due to Rowdy's defensiveness to other males. But she wants to find him a home before he gets hit by a car. boyfriend lives not far from a main highway.

I told Nichole she can't find this guy a home until she knocks on the door of the neighbor who once owned him and makes certain they don't want him anymore.

I'm wondering his possible breed. He's BIG, like a St. Bernard pup at about 6 mos which is how old he probably is. But doesn't really have the fur or body shape to necessarily be pure bred.

I guess if neighbors no longer want him I'll post him online and see if we can find him a new home. Poor guy. Look at that face! How can someone do that?? Nichole says he's so gentle with Aubrey, and that he loves the neighborhood cats and hangs out with the deer. lol

Here's what he looks like:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/049.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/057.jpg

Honestly, it's awful, but if it weren't for Rowdy, I'd probably snatch this one up myself. He's just a baby. And if he does have St Bernard in him....he'll be a baby for about another 18 months. Loads of time to turn him into the perfect dog.

I told you it was getting bad around here with strays. People aren't even bothering to haul them to the rural areas anymore. :(

I have avoided Nichole's boyfriend's house simply because I know I'll fall hook line and sinker for this guy. H*ll the pics alone are doing me in.:faint: And I keep telling myself....*think of the slobber* *think of the slobber* (I've got enough of that with Betsy) And I don't want another ouside dog.

That last one......he's attempting to *smile*. Nichole says he's big on grins. lol

Fran

Former desparate mom
If the owners are irresponsible and have abandoned the puppy call the animal rescue folks. At least they will be fed and offered up for adoption.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Daisy -

He's adorable. I don't see St. Bernard in him - I DO see Pitbull in him. My personal opinion is maybe Pit and Dane? Whatever he is he's adorable. Idiots here have started to breed LARGE dogs with pits and hope for huge monster sized pitbulls - (idiots know nothing of genetics or animal husbandry).

Try www.petfinder.com for a rescue somewhere that will house and feed him. And as far as the owner, Fran is right- you should probably get a paper from the owner stating that he surrendered the dog to Nicole. The look on our neighbors face when we did that was unreal. First he didn't want to sign - I said - It's just so I can get his shots and stuff like that - he's sick. The man finally understood that there was NO police involvement.

While Animal Planet - Animal cops is a horrible show - I think it's got people so scared to relenquish their animals that now people are sneaking them out to the country or like your neighbor - cutting the collar off and saying "good luck kid." - It INFURIATES me.

It infuriates me more when you call our TAXPAYER FUNDED animal control for the county and the ditz behind the desk says "Well, we can't come out and chase them - you have to have them tied up and secured in your yard." We had the dog in our yard but couldn't catch it - and the Animal control officer scared it so badly with that catch pole that the dog jumped the fence and ran off. (idiot) so now - they tell us they have to be TIED up for them to come get them. UGH......OR.....I can drive the 60 miles round trip to drop them off there, THEN I have to give my drivers license for copying and fill out a 3 page form. RIDICULOUS. I'm doing THEIR job and not getting paid for it.

Give your neighbor the evil eye from all of my crew.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fran, all our rescue folks are overwhelmed and have been for months. Our shelters are overfull, and the pound is putting any new strays to sleep immediately. The economy here is in the toilet. People are turning out pets in droves most likely because they can no longer afford them or have lost their own homes.

If I can be fairlly sure of his breed, I'd like to try the breed rescue groups. (maybe they aren't so swamped) Otherwise....no one will take him except to put him down. I discovered that with the last stray. His only hope at the moment is to be put online and that someone out of this general area will want him. This guy has tons of potential just begging (excuse the pun) to be tapped into if given the chance. I'd find a way to keep him in the back yard if I thought someone was going to put him down just because there is no room for him anywhere.

It's unbelievable here right now. Private citizens are caring for strays at an alarming rate out of necessity. I've never seen so many animals roaming the streets. Even puppies aren't being adopted out of the shelters. (when they used to be snatched up so fast) The cats coming to my front porch increase in numbers weekly. There are even breeders in the area now tryint to give away pure bred pups because they can't sell them and don't want stuck with them.

I can't even take him to surrounding county Human Societies or shelters because they're having the same issues. They can't get rid of the dogs/cats they have and don't want anymore. :(

I've never seen anything like it before. I've found homes for strays for years and never ran up against what I have been over the past months. And I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Pit........I wondered about that. You may be dead on Star. I think his size is throwing off my judgement. When he sits on Nichole he actually covers her. lol

I make her get them to sign a paper stating they turned the dog over to her. Good idea.

Breaks my heart. And then I get so furious.

Star, our dog warden won't even come out anymore. All stays have to be brought to him. Uh, no thanks. Not bringing a good dog to you to put down.....and certainly not going to bring a dog I have no knowledge of personality to you in my car, running the risk of getting bitten. That's what we pay HIM for. grrrr Of course, just getting the jerk to answer the phone is a challenge all it's own.

Pitt/dane. What a combo. lol But now I can search for some rescue groups and pray they aren't swamped and can take this lovable character in. He'd make someone a wonderful furbaby.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole talked to the stray's former owners. They swear they've never owned a dog.

Interesting since the stake and tie out are still there in the yard. ugh

But no matter how she tried to push it.......they never owned a dog and most especially that dog. She couldn't get them to sign anything because...of course....they've never owned a dog.

Nichole knows she has the right house because she's been admiring the pup for months. sigh

So......she's hunting down rescue groups. I really hate people like that and hope karma does one hellova number on them.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
What a sweet face. Animals are being abandoned around here also. I was trying to find homes for kittens and did for a few but not all. It is crazy right now. Hope you have some luck finding someone to care for him.

beth

susiestar

Roll With It
He sure is a cutie, seems to have a lot of personality. Nichole has a very sweet heart to try to care for all the strays she finds.

If he is part pit you will either need an individual or a rescue group. Our animal shelters are now required to kill any dog that is even PART pit bull. I think it is nuts. NO animal should be killed because he MIGHT turn mean. More careful choices in picking adoptive parents, yes, maybe. But just killing them with-NO CHANCE?? Very very scary.

I think those neighbors should be put out on that stake for a few days. Esp since they just turned him loose with- NO CARE.

mstang67chic

Going Green
If he is part pit you will either need an individual or a rescue group. Our animal shelters are now required to kill any dog that is even PART pit bull. I think it is nuts. NO animal should be killed because he MIGHT turn mean. More careful choices in picking adoptive parents, yes, maybe. But just killing them with-NO CHANCE?? Very very scary.

Exactly! Just because a dog is a certain breed doesn't automatically make them aggressive and dangerous. I've known dogs of "safe" breeds who are meaner than snot and so called mean breed dogs that are the sweetest, most compliant souls there are. Heck, my dog Cloe has a mother that was at least 1/2 pit and Cloe is also part Chow. She was treated badly by former owners, witnessed physical abuse in the family and was hit herself. She is one of the most loving and affectionate dogs around. Granted, she gets a bit upset if husband and I horse around physically but she doesn't bite. She just gets inbetween us and barks. Also, I wouldn't want to be the bad guy who actually did try to hurt one of her people.....they would have a new one ripped. But that stuff I completely attribute to her upbringing. She doesn't like seeing her people hit. Simple as that. Otherwise...she's sweet, loving, smart and an all around wonderful dog.

And Daisy.....

NO MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Why Stang??? Are you feeling weak? :rofl:

I hate the stigma with certain breeds too. Stupid if you ask me. I've seen many a safe breed turn as well. Due to the owners usually, but a mistreated dog of any breed will turn.

We had a rott that lived on the street behind us years ago. Sweetest darn dog on the planet. Mr. Rowdy sure thought so........they had enough litters together. ;) If she was in heat we most certainly couldn't keep those two apart. But she'd bring the pups to visit him when they were old enough every single time.

Had a basset turn on husband for no apparent reason. Though I still think something physical was wrong with her the vet just couldn't find. She went for his throat, was not a pretty sight. May have been bad breeding as well. I know I was MUCH more cautious of breeders after that for any breed.

Heck, even the pitt down the alley who attacked Rowdy is normally sweet as can be. He was just hungry that day (he's half starved most of the time) and Rowdy was not sharing. He's come to our front door numerous times just to get "lovies".

easy child would take this stray except for his size. She's moving to a much bigger house with a huge yard in a week or so.......But due to his size and being so bumbly cuz he has no clue how big he really is, she doesn't want him around the baby. Which is ok with me as I'm not sure sister in law is quite ready for a dog just yet. We're "training" him with our dogs right now. (long story)

crazymama30

Oh Daisy, he is the perfect dog for my difficult child. If you can get him to Oregon I would take him in a heartbeat. difficult child's dog was put down 3 years ago, and husband went and got a difficult child dog for difficult child. Does not work too well. It is not difficult child's dog, it is easy child's dog. difficult child needs a big gentle dog that is calm and mellow. We have a friend that got a lab/American bull dog cross for their son and it does pretty well with difficult child. The other boy is pretty calm, so sometimes difficult child startles the dog as difficult child is NEVER calm, but the pup deals with it well.

That is one adorable dog.

susiestar

Roll With It
Yeah, I HATE the idea that we can deal with canine aggression by wiping out certain breeds. makes as much sense to me as trying to get better people by wiping out the Jews does. Which is NONE.

I honestly think if we don't protest and stop this automatic killing of specific breeds then sooner or later it will be our golden retrievers or beagles or border collies or lhasa apsos. If it starts it won't stop at chows and rotties and pit bulls. It just won't.

And what havoc will it wreak on our ecosystem? I know we have too many animals with-o homes so we MUST spay and neuter, but to totally wipe out a type of dog (or any animal) may just well cause serious environmental problems. Just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

I really REALLY hope you can find a good home for this guy. What has Nichole named him??

rejectedmom

I saw Boxer the minute the picture opened because of his color and markings ear shape etc. . They are very sweet dogs and great with kids. -RM

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole has not named him yet. Thank God. If she names him, the odds of him ending up in my backyard intensify by 100 percent. lol

His coloring does remind me of boxer......especially since I just visited with sister in laws boxer. She's a mega sweety herself.

This guy is a real cutie pie, loads of personality, and evidently quite smart as well and eager to please. Nichole is trying rescue groups first. Hopefully she gets one to take him. My fear is they may be over full as well under the current conditions here.