Our RV! Lil? Anyone. Getting it ready

BusynMember

My bro in law and sis in law have it on their property because we were living in the apartment. Now hubby needs to get it running and bring it home. Needs charging.

Cant wait to travel.

Due to Jackson, rescue dog, needing surgery, we may put Texas off for a year and go closer and colder this one year. But dont care. Excited to use it, even in Wisconsin :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180805_135346.jpg
    IMG_20180805_135346.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

Copabanana

Swot. I love it.

I would want to stay closer to home anyway, because of your new home. It sounds so wonderful. The peace. The privacy. Nature around. Swot how far are you from your old apartment?

Can you use the same market. Bank, doctor, etc. Are you in a new town?

Is there a garage/shop for your husband to putter? I know he is handy and a mechanic.

So happy for you.

Swot. M and I looked at one for sale today parked on the street. It looked like yours. They wanted 80k. Wow.

I want to pay 5k. Lol. Swot.. You need to change your avatar to include Jackson.

BusynMember

Thanks Copa :)
We paid MUCH less than 80k! 80K is way out of our league lol.

I have seen RVs parked on streets in CA as a place to live! Rows of them on public streets. It fascinates me. I have never seen this in real time anyware. These were Youtube videos that I stumbled upon.

I cant tell my exact location or how close I am to where I was before. But our house is on a lovely quiet street and tonight we were outside with the dogs in our yard and we could hear crickets and the sky was very clear. My main happiness is that we are relatively close to the kids and they can visit often. The ones in Wisconsin, that is.

Thank you again for asking about things. I hope you are in a better place now and that your plan for your cat gives you some peace. I can feel that you worry about her as if she were a person...I am the same with my pets.

I think you would really enjoy some down home traveling. I know you have been abroad. You earned it. Why not try it? Some time with M. to get away and relax? Stress free? Wherever you want to go?

Because of Jacksons fragile neck, I sort of keep him from the other dogs. So there is no threesome picture yet. Maybe he deserves time as my avator :)

Love and light!

Last edited:

Copabanana

Where I live it is agricultural. People live in ratty old RVs and trailers. It is sad.

I heard about people stealth camping in silicon valley and the bay area there rents start at 2500 a Month. Like for a studio. What choice do people have but to live in their cars.

BusynMember

I saw San Francisco, if I recall correctly. This was YouTube. A Google exec was living in a nice RV and he said it was cheaper than an apartment, he made good money, and was stashing a fortune in the bank. But there were also some whole families living in RVs that no longer ran just for shelter. And they said the cops dont try to get anyone to move. There were blocks and blocks of RVs of every type. I have never ever seen anything like it. I knew about tent cities, but never knew of impoverished people living in groups of RVs. Very sad. Both.

Copabanana

Swot. I don't know of the place you speak. To my knowledge the city governments very aggressively try to prevent city camping. For example, San Francisco forbids camping and RVs entirely. People stealth camp. That is they sleep in vans or cars that do not call attention. But most people are afraid.

California has tremendous wealth. The economy they say is like 8th in the world. But there is great poverty here too. Where I live many thousands of families live on less than 20k a year, including some in m's family.

BusynMember

Copa, I believe you. This is Youtube. Could be pure fantasy. And I may have remembered the town wrong too.

I know little about California other than the weather is nice, some are very rich and i do know that others are very poor. And I believe you about the RVs. People put a lot of things on YouTube to hopefully get attention!

Lil

My bro in law and sis in law have it on their property because we were living in the apartment. Now hubby needs to get it running and bring it home. Needs charging.

Cant wait to travel.

Due to Jackson, rescue dog, needing surgery, we may put Texas off for a year and go closer and colder this one year. But dont care. Excited to use it, even in Wisconsin :)

It's a lovely RV - a home on wheels! Does it have a lot of slides? Jabber and I are always concerned about slides. From what we've read, those are the first places that might leak. Although that's more an issue if you plan to keep moving everyday and not park it for weeks at a time.

You've inspired us. LOL We spent half of last Saturday looking at travel trailers. We also looked at some class C's and small (30') class A's, but I think for the money we'll spend (I doubt we'll get as lucky as you and Jabber and I are not all that mechanically inclined) trailers are the way to go. If we got a motor home we'd have to sell both our vehicles and buy something smaller to tow. With a trailer, we already have the truck to pull it - as long as it's one of the light ones. We are, of course, assuming the truck we own lasts that long, but it's quite new - I think a 2016 - so it should. We're not hard on vehicles. But time-wise, it'll still be a fairly old truck by the time we are ready to travel. So the mode of transport may change.

You see, we have the makings of a plan. :) Call it, 33% of a plan. Having talked about it, we think when we finally retire from the state (6 years from now) we're going to sell our house and just travel. We'll have the hunting acreage and the shed/cabin, which we're going to turn into a real "shouse" - installing electric and water and sewer in the next 6 years and finishing out the inside. So that's "home base" but it's for when we just want to settle for a bit - and hunting season - lol. Otherwise, we'll be "transient". I figure we see the country for a bit - it's a big country after all. Up north in the summers, down south in the winters - works for me. We'll both have retirement income - even before we're old enough for Social Security. We'll also have a lump-sum "backdrop" we can get that'll pay off many of our bills. In 6 years I'll be 60 (61 in September) and Jabber will be 57/58. Still young enough to do stuff! Our pets and their health issues won't be an issue anymore, because (sadly) they simply won't live that long. It gives us enough time to pay down some of our bills, pay off our vehicles, and maybe get ourselves a bit thinner and healthier too...we need to do that regardless.

Unlike Jabber's parents, we'll never have the "family home" that the kids come visit at Christmas. There are no "kids" just the 1 and he's in another state! Heck, if we traveled for the holidays every year, it would be no big deal. We can still stop and see Jabber's family as much as ever and phones aren't going away. We'll be MORE likely to see our son and any grands that come along. There will always be direct deposit. ATM and credit cards work everywhere. Walgreens are never going out of business for any prescriptions we need.

I love the idea of being FREE. :jumphappy: No job, no house, no lawn and bushes to keep up...able to just come and go. I'm sure it's not that simple...but we'll work it out. :)

Swot. M and I looked at one for sale today parked on the street. It looked like yours. They wanted 80k. Wow.

Yeah...that's why we're looking at lightweight trailers. There are some very nice ones for under $20,000. They're small, many don't even have the slide-outs, although our favorite does, but for traveling we don't expect to spend a lot of time indoors anyway. I'm not going to rule anything out though. If we found the deal of a lifetime, well...maybe we'd change our tune.

Maybe in a few years, we'll all meet up in a campground at the grand canyon! :yes:

BusynMember

Soundslike a great plan!!

We will be cruising around Missouri, possibly rhis coming winter, so a meet up is possible. If we cant go to Texas until the year after, we can at least take shorter, closer trips where the weather is not as harsh. And of course we will eventually land in St. Louis but could roam a lot more of the state. It is a hidden treasure...Missouri is beautiful. Most people dont know its a great state.

We have two slide outs. I trust hub to fix anything really. He was in the RV fixing stuff yesterday, when I took the picture. Little stuff but he has the right instincts to know what to do and do it.

We are hauling our Trailblazer behind the motorhome, but the motorhome is big...34 ft. So we can do it.

I would have no problem living in the RV and traveling all over if not for Jumper and Sonic who still are very nearby. I would find it cool to have no address!

I see travel in your future :)

Last edited:

Jabberwockey

Something to remember SWOT, not all RV parks are set up to handle slide outs. Make sure before you actually use them. Glad you're having fun though!!

Honey, I hate to be a buzz kill but we do have a TON of stuff to do in order to get ready. If nothing else, we need to start seriously paring down how much junk we have. Not that I'm not looking forward to this as well! Just need to remain realistic about it but you did give a good time frame. We will need at least a couple of months after retiring to do a serious Clean Sweep kind of job on our house unless we're planning on putting a bunch of stuff in storage.

I even have a plan on how to keep venison without a large freezer! The joys of having many siblings who would be happy to either rent me some freezer space or allow me to put a freezer in their garage for a small venison fee!

BusynMember

You are both are lucky to be able torerire young!!

We arent travelung right away. We had to move, and that came first. Now we have the rescue dog. Then we need to have the RV inspected to make sure its good to go. First things first. But fun to look forward to it! 2019 we may not go to Texas yet, but we already have plans to travel closer by. Im happy!

Now we just need to get the boat out! We got a pontoon, mostly because Jumper asked us to please get a pontoon.

Lil

Now we just need to get the boat out! We got a pontoon, mostly because Jumper asked us to please get a pontoon.

Oh Jabber and I (but especially Jabber) would LOVE that. We have a canoe. It's been in the water once. lol It'll be in more in future I'm sure, we just got it in July.

BusynMember

Wont lie. A big part of getting it was to let Jumper have a boat. It was one of our special magic discounts and is beautiful and in great shape. Looking forward to many lazy days reading on the boat or maybe learning how to fish.

You will get there!

Confused

I love how you said"lil" rv! I think my Suburbans I like are huge, but not compared to your lil rv

How fun to travel! After your pup is better, more places to explore. Congrats!

Lil

:roflmao:
She wasn't calling her RV little ("lil") . She was talking to me - Lil! That gave me a good laugh this morning. Looking at it now, it sure looks like she was talking about the big, honkin' RV! :D