Outcome Study Results

Martie

Hello everyone,

I want to thank those of you who participated in the Adult Outcomes study. Attached to this message is a poster that will be presented next week at the National Association of School Psychologists. It is 36 X 54 in real life. Here it is a single PPT slide that can be viewed/read (half at a time) at 125%.

The full article has been submitted for publication in Behavioral Disorders which is the journal of the Council for Children with Behavior Disorders.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Martie

Estherfromjerusalem

Marty,

First of all, congratulations.

Second, I looked at it. It looks so learned, and I could hardly understand anything. But I am still proud to have taken part, and I wish you every success with your career.

Love, Esther

Martie

Thanks everyone. The poster was presented at NASP last week and it was well-received. This is an "obscure" area of research because, frankly, not many people in schools see a responsibility to provide transition planning to EBD students (as opposed to students with MR or severe disabilities.) The results of this study show that even with highly active and supportive parents (us), transition services are needed to improve successful adult outcomes. In a nutshell: expulsion is fatal to adult success, and continued education past high school is very important, regardless of the type--(college, associates degree, training program, etc) but wonder of wonders, something we all were told, "Education matters," turns out to be true for our kids, too.

Obviously, if the sample had been a cross-section of parents of all youth with EBD, the results would have been much more discouraging.

Thank you all for participating. We will have another paper coming out including the entire sample (N=98). This poster and print publication only compares the most and least successful sub-samples.

Martie