Ovarian cyst?

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child has been feeling bad since Thursday night. She missed Wed and Thurs of school because of anxiety, so I figured it was related.

She has been running a low grade fever off and on (not over 100), knife like pains in the lower abdomen, dull pain other times, loss of appetite, feeling nauseous after eating and diarrhea.

I took her to the doctor on Monday and GP thinks it's an ovarian cyst. Urine test was clean. We agreed that if she wasn't feeling better by Wednesday, we would have an ultrasound done.

She's not feeling better; she's feeling worse. She hasn't been to school since last Tuesday (although no school Tues and Wed this week because of weather). I've had ovarian cysts in the past and I've had them rupture and they were painful, but I didn't have all of the other symptoms.

Does anyone else have experience with this? If it's not an ovarian cyst and the symptoms don't go away, any ideas what else we should look at?

by the way, difficult child started BC 4 weeks ago for acne and is taking it so she does not have periods.

I know something is up when my kiddo isn't eating. I can't keep enough food in the house for this kid usually.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Did doctor palpate to feel for the cyst? She should have felt it. (not pleasant for the patient been there done that)

Only other thing I can thing of is her bowels.

Marguerite

If she's on the Pill then it's not likely to be Mittelschmertz (ovulation pain). It could have been a cyst developing over previous periods and only causing pain now. Why did she go on the Pill? Contraception? Or to try to ease back on period problems? If te latter, t hen this could be a cyst.

However, my money is on a grumbling appendix. It can cause all the symptoms you describe. The pain isn't necessarily over the appendix, either.

I had a grumbling appendix, so did two of my sisters and an aunt. So did easy child 2/difficult child 2 - she had hers for nearly six months. It took an ultrasound to come close to diagnosing it, and even then I had to feed back info on it to the doctor, because the radiologist missed it. I happened to be standing there when the sonographer passed the scope across the tummy where she was sore, and I saw easy child 2/difficult child 2's face as she cringed in pain. At the same time, I could see this round thing visualising on the screen. There was a direct correlation between the round thing on the screen (it looked like a bubble, that's what the radiologist called it) and her pain. The gastroenterologist believed me and referred her to a surgeon. He palpated plus took her history and declared it to be a grumbling appendix, then he took it out for her the following week. No urgency, although they can go acute.

If it's an ovarian cyst, ultrasound will show it clearly. It may not be so clear with appendicitis.

She's running a fever and has nausea after eating, plus the pain is localised and at times sharp - I'd be pushing for tests quickly rather than taking time. It could be acute and you don't want it rupturing. It's not quite the crisis it used to be but it does complicate recovery greatly. Get the doctor to order the u/s, then book it ASAP, tell them you are concerned it could be appendicitis. You should be able to get the u/s done within the next few days. Then get the results back to the doctor ASAP (jump the queue if you need to) and ask for a referral to a surgeon anyway, just in case.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 had her appendix removed with keyhole surgery. She wanted to get the thing out of her fast, so she could begin to feel better. The keyhole surgery left scars so tiny they're almost invisible. One is in her navel, it IS invisible. She was in hospital two nights, that's all.

But don't hang around. It might be something trivial, but frankly, this sounds potentially serious.

You're not over-reacting, not at all.

Re her anxiety - can you get some schoolwork sent home for her to do in bed? I used to find this helps difficult child 3 settle when he's anxious, it's something routine to work on. Even if it's just a textbook to read. Of course, if she's too sick to work on it and falls asleep, that is good for her too.

Marg

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I have to agree with Marg--

sounds more like appendicitis to me, too.

I have had overian cysts but they have NEVER been accompanied by fever. That is a sure sign of infection! Get her to a doctor ASAP!

--DaisyFace

(Hope she feels better soon!)

Star*

call 911........call 911
What are the symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?

Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms. These are some of the symptoms of PCOS:

• infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding
  • infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating
  • increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes—a condition called hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um)
  • ovarian cysts
  • acne, oily skin, or dandruff
  • weight gain or obesity, usually carrying extra weight around the waist
  • insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
  • high cholesterol
  • high blood pressure
  • male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
  • patches of thickened and dark brown or black skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs
  • skin tags, or tiny excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
  • pelvic pain
  • anxiety or depression due to appearance and/or infertility
  • sleep apnea—excessive snoring and times when breathing stops while asleep
If they thought it was an ovarian cyst I'm surprised they didn't:
Do an ultra sound - but then again the cysts can be the size of a pin head
Order a pelvic ultrasound to make sure it isn't a tumor or some other problem.
Do blood glucose tests for diabetes. PCOS is serious.

I think I'd be asking for a second opinion.

bby31288

my easy child suffers from cysts. In November she had similiar pain, after one day/night of pain we went to the ER. Of course they checked the appendix. She ended up have a large cyst on her right ovary that was twisting her ovary. She need emergency surgery to save the ovary. Please if the pain continues, don't wait to have it checked. PCs cyst was almost 6 inches around. The size of an orange. Extremely large considering your ovary is the size of a mans thumb.