Oven Roaster Question

meowbunny

Someone gave me a lovely, huge oven roaster last year. I'd love to use it for the turkey but I have a question -- will it brown the turkey and give me yummy turkey skin? Would hate an all-white fully cooked turkey on my table.

Thanks for the help!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I used one of these last year and the turkey was great, it also freed my oven for other goodies. I am not a crispy skin person, so mine didn't cook that way. There is a vent in the lid that I think you can open. This way the steam would vent and probably get a crispier skin. I used to be a cooking bag user, but after finding this roaster won't go back to the bag, just hate to wrestle those birds into the bag, although they do give you a moist cooked turkey.

meowbunny

Did you have the stuffing in the turkey or fix it separate? And thank you so much. I really do like the idea of (1) not having to bend to baste this year and (2) move oven space.

DammitJanet

Are you talking about the counter top roasters? If so, I adore mine! I use it all the time. It really saves on heating up a kitchen. I fix my stuff separate.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Love stuffing from the turkey, but just not worth the cup and a half you get from inside the turkey. I didn't put stuffing in last year and baked in the regular oven...was good. I heard on one of the tv cooking shows that having the stuffing in the turkey pulls the juices out of the turkey, so you may have good stuffing, but dry turkey....I'm cooking the stuffing out of the turkey this year.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG I LOVE my counter roaster appliance.

Yes, it browns my turkey nicely every single year. But pay attention to the directions in the book for it because those cooking times are no joke. My turkey is usually done in 2 1/2 to 3 hrs!

Anything you make in a normal oven you can make in your roaster oven. The directions are in the book that came with it.

I roast my turkey in it every year, and save my oven for several other dishes. Then use the roaster to keep those other dises warm during the dinner. (I bought the tray that goes with it for this)

I make my stuffing on the stove..... cooking it with half water/half turkey drippings. I swear it comes out tasting like you cooked it in the bird.

Hugs

meowbunny

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to use my roaster and it came with the serving dishes. Heck, it came with everything but the kitchen sink! And stuffing on the side it will be.