Overload

Wiped Out

Staff member
Feeling like I'm on overload tonight.

We started difficult child's iep after school tonight. Started out well but they want to take out the part where he can only be suspended for certain offenses-sigh-I understand what they are saying but at the same time his behavior is due to his disability. We are going to meet one more time to do the BIP-might be as soon as tomorrow.

Then on my way to pick up easy child/difficult child to then head over to visit difficult child, difficult child's psychiatrist at the hospital called. Apparently the insurance company is rushing difficult child out so he may be released as early as tomorrow! We are hoping for Friday at the earliest because at least then we would have a long weekend to continue going up on the medication because he still won't be at a therapeutic level when he comes out. Sigh...

Next I picked up easy child/difficult child who was griping at me about me going to visit difficult child and not taking her home instead.

Visited with difficult child who was very moody and then came home to cook dinner. There was a message on our machine saying easy child/difficult child skipped her Physics class today. Why? According to her she was too tired last night to prepare her presentation. Of course, she had all weekend to do nothing but watch tv-grrrr!

Now I'm too tired for my workout-and feeling a bit sorry for myself even though I shouldn't-mainly I'm just exhausted.

Thanks for listening!

Andy

I am sorry you are having a rough day! I hope you find a way to relax tonight and have a full night's rest.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sending a bucket o' strength for you to stick to your IEP guns so difficult child gets what he needs, ignore easy child's antics, and make it through to the weekend! I also hope difficult child isn't discharged too soon... I guess there's not much you can do but maybe appeal to insurance. Don't they realize that early release risks landing him back in there sooner? Ugh! :(

KTMom91

Hope the insurance company reconsiders, Sharon. Sending hugs and strength to deal with both easy child and difficult child.

busywend

Sometimes it is all just too much.

You have to take a break from it. Or it will overwhelm your entire being.

HUGS!

crazymama30

Insurance companies are such a pain. Such a necessary evil. I hope they keep difficult child long enough, and hope easy child pulls her out out of wherever she has hidden it.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

I certainly hope the insurance company reconsiders. difficult child needs more stability before release. Any way his psychiatrist can speak with the insurance company and let them know the gravity of his current situation?

Unfortunately, easy child/difficult child is acting like a typical teenage girl. Not wanting to go see her brother after school is typical - especially for a teenager - she wants to get home and get on the computer, or the phone, or nap, or watch tv..........Skipping class is another issue that is not a difficult child-maker. While my easy child never skipped a class in high school (she was too afraid of getting caught!), I don't think it's unusual in the least that it happen. It's the habitual skipping you will have to keep an eye out for. Set a consequence for this long weekend. She knows you and husband don't appreciate the skipping, being teachers and all! Tell her there will be no tv or computer use until she proves she has finished all school assignments on Saturday. Tell her that way she has two days to do what she wants if she gets the school work out of the way on Saturday. Don't leave her any wiggle room. In a perfect world she would understand the stress the family is in and be a little more accommodating.....but she is a teenager....

I am guessing here that as you complete that FBA and start tweaking the BIP, the suspension issues will be listed as the manifestations of his multiple disabilities and then the point is mute. Having a good BIP is the protection he needs.

Lots of hugs to you Sharon - here's a huge wish that you can have a relaxing three-day weekend!

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hugs, Sharon. Hope you spent a little time having a little downtime before you picked up all those baskets again this morning.

This existence can drain the very life out of anyone, I am convinced.

Hope the insurance company reconsiders. Obviously, the people who make those rules don't have difficult children...

Hugs. Hope today is better.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! Your support is much appreciated.

We did finish the IEP today and I think, overall, it is good. We went around in circles on the suspension thing and husband finally summarized things well. He said that while we completely trust them (principal and Special Education teacher-they really are great) the problem was what happened to difficult child in 4th grade when he got all those unfair suspensions. We know there are times when he should be suspended and that these two would only do it under those circumstances.

The principal apologized to us for what happened in the past. She can see why we are jaded. We did finally sign. She did assure her, and we do trust her, that with the Special Education teacher writing the iep next year they will word it very carefully so that what happened in 4th grade doesn't happen again.

As for discharge-they extended him til tomorrow. We had an awful visit tonight. difficult child was rude, disrespectful, posturing, name calling, and poking me. He also got upset with husband. I really hope they don't have him come home tomorrow-he's not ready.

Sharon-I agree about skipping not being gfgish but it has become habitual for her which is more gfgish. She had promised us no more skipping. Sigh...