Panic Attack this morning

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child missed Thurs, Fri, and Monday from school because she was sick. She was to go back today.

She had a major panic attack today - unlike any I've seen from her in quite a while.

Sigh.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Over all, she is doing much better. I just hate that this still sneaks up on her.

BusynMember

If the Prozac is new, I'd suspect that. Prozac and Celexa gave my daughter terrible panic attacks. She'd never had any before. In fact, she was kind of too fearless. She quit taking both of them.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
With N who has the worst Anxiety, when she has more than a few days off her anxiety over School tends to build up.
We have to walk her through it. She will keep asking, "Do I have School?, I don't want to go" The night before.
She starts getting anxious and says she wishes she could just stay home with me. Then at bedtime she wants to sleep with me and starts whining.
She just gets into an over all anxious state.

I wonder if this is what happened. A break and because she is so new back to School it may have triggered the anxiety to going back?
She fell back into her comfort zone at home.

crazymama30

Wow, I am sorry. That is a lot of school to miss, and it would be scary to go back. Hope it gets better soon. I don't have much experience with school anxiety or refusal, my difficult child has always gone willingly. Thank god, I have to get him out of the house and get a break!

Hope she can conquer this and head back to school soon.

Andy

I hope she gets a great night's sleep tonight and makes it through tomorrow.

Panic attacks are so hard to watch as a parent. It is heart wrenching to see our kids in that state. Another thing that try as we might, the kid has to do much of the self calming techniques alone to get back control. We can only remain a calm bystander and hope they follow the advise we give. I am sure you did a great job and I know how hard that is to do.

I have Alprazolam as a PRN for my difficult child when he is feeling overly anxious or has a panic attack. We would use it every school morning last Spring to help him get to school. Last Thursday was very hard for him to return to school after being cooped up in a hospital room for 3 days (48 hr video EEG).

Good luck in the morning to both you and difficult child.

flutterby

Fly away!
Thanks all. She was much better this evening and prepared for school tomorrow.

MWM - The prozac was rx'd *because* of her panic attacks. It's not causing them. It just hasn't had time to start to work yet; and she's on a low dose. Prozac is supposed to be good at helping with panic attacks.

Andy

How did difficult child do today? I thought about her this morning and sent good thoughts in your direction.

flutterby

Fly away!
Thank you for thinking of her, Andy. She was a trooper today and got all of her makeup work. They have a 4 day weekend, so hopefully she won't get too overwhelmed by all the work.