Panic attack

gcvmom

Here we go again!
HaoZi is right -- it doesn't matter about the situation at all. They can come on over something seemingly inocuous. I had one a week or so after my dad died... we were just sitting in a restaurant having dinner, and I don't even remember what I was talking about, but out of the blue I felt the room closing in on me and it felt as if I couldn't breathe and I thought I was going to DIE right then and there. I've had it happen to me in line at an airport, and riding in a motorboat (although it was husband's fault for that one, LOL!)

The key is whether they get LESS or MORE frequent over time. Hopefully, less. And if not, ask for help. But considering what you've been through, I wouldn't be suprised if you had them occasionally for a while. Anniversary dates of traumatic events can be triggers, too, so don't be suprised.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star........

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's why our instructors told us that they don't give the advice out often..........too much potential for tormenting the user. But it does work.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Zyrtec and claritin don't do diddly for me...so I just take Benadryl.

Same here. It's the only allergy medication that has any effect on my allergies - and doesn't knock me out.

When I have panic attacks - and honestly, it's been quite a while, thank heavens - I try deep breathing. I never thought about an antihistamine. I just push through them. Concentrating on the absurdity of the thoughts I have during the panic attacks helps too - laughter.

BusynMember

I've had panic attacks so bad since I've been a child. Thank God the clonazapan/Paroxotene combo has stopped them because I was close to become too afraid to leave the house.

My attacks would come on very suddenly, often with no warning. I would feel as if I was in a dream.and then I would panic that I was losing touch with reality (I wasn't, but I didn't know that). The rest is the same as the others...body racing everywhere...I have been known to run out of stores leaving full carts of food because I needed to get to my "safe" place (the car) then home (sometimes blowing red lights while I drove). I have also had tingling in my arms and legs.

I have a GREAT book to recommend. On top of the medications, which were a lifesaver for me, this book is GREAT. It takes apart a panic attack and actually explains what it is and how to stop it. I have found that if I even start to feel panciky, using their methods takes it right out. The book is old, but you can still buy it. And it's the best one I'ver ever read on the disorder: "Don't Panic" by Wilson and Reid (sorry I don't remember their first names).

Caffeine was a big panic attack trigger for me.

Hugs!!! Hoping you learn that deep breathing and start doing it before the panic attack takes over if it happens again.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Concentrating on the absurdity of the thoughts I have during the panic attacks helps too - laughter.

Yeah, well, since the accident, the thoughts I had/have aren't all that absurd. lol Mostly its just "this could happen again"...in a car, when its been that fleeting, barely a moment long feeling; but it was the same on the horse...only the horse was a lot longer in duration.

I think this is the same "root cause" driving my unwillingness to tolerate husband's lack of doing anymore, too. He let me down big-time, and I worry about what would have happened if I had not been as ok as I was, and what happens if something happens to me in the future. What if I hadn't been able to be clear headed laying there on that road and tell him all the things that needed to be done? I shudder to think. He thinks he did what he needed to do because he fed me, but there is oh so much more to it. Maybe if we can resolve some of those things, it will help with this, too. Or maybe I just need to make an emergency manual - who to contact at work, insurance info to contact, bills and due dates, Wee's teachers, their roles, doctors, medications, and pharmacy info...

I just hope it doesn't happen again. husband took the old wagon out last night and I rode horseback again. I rode in front of him for a good ways, and was cautious to keep room between us, but no real fear. Perhaps the "new" pony, wagon, and driver was part of it, too. But last night, for the 2 hours we were out, things were just fine (and my pony *rocked* - he was such a good boy last night. He got an extra scoop of sweet feed.)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, and PS - I can certainly see why this can drive people to just stay home. So far I have been able to push myself thru my fears and make myself continue and get over it, but its hard...I understand how debilitating that could be much more now.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shari I understand where you're coming from as far as husband, the reason behind it. With mine........well he failed me miserably when I needed him most. Our marriage has never been the same. I've never been the same. I won't put up with his crud for nothing since then. He doesn't like it? There is the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.

And yeah, my anxiety trapped me in the house for some time..............it's trying to do so again. But lucky for me my girls give me so long........then it's Mom let's go do this, I really need to you come along ect. They'll push me until I'm out the door, which never lets it get so bad I never leave. I still think it's a tad dirty pool to use the grands against me though lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
SHARI -

SPOTS ON HIS -----------ROFLM MULE OFF..........HAHAHA.....OMW WHATS WORSE/ IT TOOK ME A MINUTE. hahaha.......hahaha.....oh........ohhhhhhhhhhh......ahem.

Star*

call 911........call 911
So .........(devious mind at work) ........what would happen, and what would the comment be if your neigbors donkey was BORN black?

((((((((Echos of Steve Martin))))))))))))