Parade Disaster In Oklahoma

susiestar

Roll With It
Now that this is huge national news, I thought I would post about it. http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...reported-crash-oklahoma-state-parade-34703548

This was in my town, 2 miles from my home. We were not harmed but know many of the victims. husband and J were at the stadium working and thank you was on the other side of town parking cars to earn money for his upcoming choir trip. I was able to keep him from seeing the area where it all happened.

The entire town is in shock. My husband is esp shook up because he knows more of the victims than the rest of us and is esp tender-hearted and empathetic. I am so thankful for how our town is responding, esp the way the schools and most businesses are offering free counseling.

I just thought I would let you all know we were not hurt.

lovemysons

Sending up prayers for those affected by this terrible tragedy.
I'm so glad that you and your family are safe!

Hugs and love to you Susie,
LMS

TerryJ2

Susie, it is an awful tragedy. I am so sorry for everyone involved. One minute you're there, having a great time, and the next, you're not. Shocking and beyond upsetting.
I read that the young lady supposedly suffers from mental illness and that she may have had a blackout or dissociative event. We'll wait and see. The family seemed to be in the dark about the whole thing.
I'm holding you and your family, and especially your husband, in my heart and in my thoughts.

Calamity Jane

What a bizarre event. Life is so precious, we just never know. I'm so glad you're safe, and so sorry for everyone in the area, esp. those at the event. I saw on TV in the spot where it happened, the camera panned across the street to what looked like a large bookstore, and the marquee on the store said that Ree Drummond was going to be signing books there. It is just amazing how "normal" things contrast with such horror. I'm so sorry.

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks to all of you! It has been very surreal here. The bookstore is the only real book & music store in town, at least for new books. It is a real Wiz now works in a store just across the street from that store.

We did get good news - the grandma of Jessi's friend is now awake and off the ventilator. She wanted to know if her grandsons won the football game that was held that day.

The way the community has rallied to support our town is wonderful. Right away the response & support for everyone was great. I have heard a little about the young woman who drove the car. Sentiments in town are more directed at helping the victims rather than at rage toward the young woman. This type of overall reaction to a tragedy like this is one of the reasons that I truly love the town I live in - and the rest of my state. I even overheard one woman saying that today's heavy rains are God's way of washing the blood off of the street so that the survivors don't have to see it every time they go to the grocery or the bookstore. I thought it was a very sweet way of looking at the rain.

TerryJ2

I read that she is being charged. More will come out at the trial.
Rough times.
Nice note about the rain. Interesting and sweet.