Parenthood

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I watched the move "Parenthood" on Encore last night.
I haven't seen it since shortly after it came out in the late 80's/early 90's. I thought it was a great movie, then. After my experiences of the past 20 years, its not only funny, it is so very real and perceptive!
Steve Martin plays Gil, who's son has some sort of yet to be discovered emotional or mental issue. Gil himself struggles to come to terms with it, balancing work and life and the usual curves it throws. Gil's brother, who is an adult difficult child, is still giving their parents a rough way to go, so Gil is also involved with his own parents and their parenting troubles as Gil's wayward brother disappears and leaves their parents to raise his young son. Gil's sister is divorced from a complete deadbeat, her kids are odd, her teen daughter is pregnant, the boyfriend is a tad strange...Gil's other sister is married to something just short of a rocket scientist, their only child is groomed to be an Einstein and is the bar by which the rest of the family measures itself, even though, really, they are no happier than any of the rest of them.
20 years ago, the show was funny. Watching it last night, it is nothing short of brilliant.

klmno

Funny you should mention that- difficult child and I love to watch funny movies about quirky families. (I can't imagine why. LOL!) We like Parenthood, RV (I think that was the name) and there was another one that I can't think of right now (Meet the ???). We also liked Pursuit of Happiness, although not a comedy.

I bought difficult child's TG card today and was thinking about how we normally cook, eat, and watch movies together through Thanksgiving. Anyway- we have to keep a sense of humor through this, as pointed out in another thread, or we would surely be as bad as these characters!!

DazedandConfused

I thought Parenthood was a good movie before I had kids. I remember seeing it some years later after I had kids and finding myself "getting it". LOL

Remember the abandoned grandson's name was "Cool"? When I first saw the movie, I was like, "Huh??". Now, after working at a school and interacting with literally thousands of students over the years, I just shrug.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I reference that movie ALL THE TIME. It was 'telling' then what normal is for some people and it's 'telling' now! I am going to buy that, come to think of it, because it makes me laugh loud belly laughs and I could use all the laughs I can get.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I jsut kept thing of this board as I watched it, and while it was still funny, it hit home! Holy cow, that's us on the tv!!!!

I thought the same thing, Jo. When I first saw that movie, it wasa good movie, I liked it, it was funny, etc, but never thought to buy a copy. Seeing it again, tho, I think its one I could watch repeatedly, and I am also going to order it.