Paris is back in jail...

witzend

I guess it's not always easy being a roll model, is it?

:rofl:

And what exactly was that health condition, anyway?

:doctor:

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #6633FF"> they reported she had been crying the entire time she was there so maybe it was a royal case of spoiled brat syndrome. they probably put it off as an anxiety attack. everybody else gets sent to the infirmary but we all know just how special paris tho, don't we?

GAH!

kris
</span> </span> </span>

DazedandConfused

Had Paris been some unknown heiress, nobody would have noticed and she would have been home in the lap of luxury admiring her cute new ankle bracelet.

I'm amusingly apalled by, not only Paris', but her family and friends, complete and utter cluelessness regarding how the world works for the average person. Her enabling Mother and her idiotic comments through this whole thing illuminates her in a not very flattering light through the eyes of this common citizen.

I admit I let out a low snide snicker when it was revealed that instead of appearing in court, Paris "offered" to speak to the judge by phone.

Someone is calling alright, and it's not the Judge. It's Earth calling Paris and it's time to LAND and put her feet on the ground like the rest of us. Seems it's been one very hard landing at this point.

I suppose this would be a resounding wake-up call to those "idle rich" who also crave celebrity. Better keep it on the straight and narrow because the fame blade is sharp on both sides.

F

flutterbee

OK. Let me start off by saying I have NEVER been a fan of Paris Hilton. I find it disgusting that she is even considered a celebrity. For what? She's famous for no reason.

Having said that, this is a huge shock for someone in her world - in her sheltered existence. I mean sheltered from any real world experience. And that doesn't come from being born into money. That comes from parents not giving her real world experiences and keeping her sheltered in their world.

She is an adult and responsible for her own actions and choices (and to read her letters from court and police). However, this is such completely unfamiliar territory for her. Serious culture shock. I imagine it is very hard to deal with.

That doesn't mean I think she should receive any special treatment. Not at all. I think she is a spoiled brat and that this is a really good lesson for her. I hope that it's a lesson she takes seriously and doesn't use as a "woe is me" experience.

I'm not excusing her. As an adult she could have taken it upon herself to expand herself as a person. She chose not to. She chose to live it up on the family money. She's so out of touch with reality. It's kind of sad, actually.

witzend

I agree with all of you, strange as that may sound. I'm sure it is a shock for her. And it's very bemusing that she thought that the judge should just talk to her on the phone. I agree that it's not necessarily the money - but the spoiledness that puts her so out of touch with reality. I think that if she had been any other person, they might have medicated her or maybe told her to put on her big girl panties and get over it. I also doubt that she would have gotten more than a couple of weeks at most if she had not made a spectacle of herself. I guess it's the price of being known as one of the most spoiled out of touch with reality people in the world that makes a county judge decide that they are going to make an example of you.

It's amazing how interminably slowly time passes when you won't accept that you have no other choice than to be where you are and make the best of it. I'm sure she was miserable. Sometimes life just sucks. That's when you need to get out of your head. Someone should have bought her a book to read. It would have been good for her. I suspect that instead she will feel sorry for herself.

meowbunny

I once met a member of the Hilton family, it may have been her father in Hawaii many, many, MANY years ago. It was interesting. The man had no clue how the world lived. He was "slumming" and staying "incognito" at a hotel other than one of his family's. Of course, he came with a full entourage (maid, butler and who knows what else) and told everyone who he was. There was no question that he expected everyone -- staff and guests -- to kowtow to him.

Is there any wonder Paris behaves the way she does? These are not people who deal with reality, at least not the reality known to most people in this world. I think she could no more live in our world than we could live as an untouchable in India in the '60s. There just isn't a frame of reference.

I do feel she deserves to be punished for her DUI, as I do anyone who drinks and drives and there's no question a $1,000 fine would do nothing. However, few are actually jailed for DUIs. Why should she be any different? Because she's rich and arrogant and spoiled and stupid? I wish she had gotten some community service and was truly forced to do it herself with no cameras, no family, no friends, no help. That might have given her the dose of reality she so dearly needs.

As it is, I just feel sorry for her.

Stella Johnson

:rofl: I watched her going back to jail today on CourtTV. It was great. Kicking, screaming, crying. I loved it. :smile:

Her medical condition was that her psychiatrist talked to the sherriff and told him she was about to have a "breakdown" and suggested house arrest. The jail she was in had a mental ward. Normal ppl would have been thrown in there. Let her have her "breakdown" there and see how the rest of the world who drives drunk lives.

I still think it's hilarious.

Steph

F

flutterbee

meowbunny -

Initially, she was given 36 months probation, ordered to take an alcohol education class and pay a piddly fine. However, she continued to drive on a suspended license (was caught) and never took the alcohol education class. She is in jail for probation violation, not DUI.

meowbunny

Thanks. Hadn't really followed Paris and her trials and tribulations. But I still don't fully agree with the jail time. Too many have done worse -- including getting in accidents while DUI and on probation for DUI -- and still have not gotten jail time. I honestly wonder how much of her sentence isn't because of who she is rather than what she did. And I do feel sorry for her. She really is a lost child in a harsh world.

mom_in_training

Lost child? I heard that she is a 26 year old woman. I thought she was in her early 20s like 22 or 23. Hmmmm, Although harsh I will say that I do not feel sorry for someone that continues to break the law, Celebrity or not. Whats worse is that she was caught drunk driving twice and caught driving on a suspended lic and broke her probation twice. Word has it she blamed her manager for driving on a suspended. That tells me that she does not take responsibility for her own actions and puts that blame on everyone else. Her mother needs to stop enabling her and let her darling Paris experience the natural consequences that happen when you make stupid choices. If anything I would hope that she learns from her bad choices and consequences for them and starts acting like a mature adult woman. She could have killed someone or ended up seriously injured or killed herself when she was drunk driving! Gee I wonder what her mothers reaction to a bad scenarial like that would have been. Do you all know that she is a paid party girl? My understanding (Heard on MSNBC)is that she gets 100,000.00 for showing up. This of course is on top of her inheritance. :crazy: Now I just wonder what her brilliant lawyers next move will be. Lol!! I could be wrong but geeze, You don't think they screwed up somewhere in this case do ya?

donna723

I think that was why the judge was so adament that she do the actual jail time and not be allowed any kind of alternative like house arrest or further probation. It's a badly needed dose of reality that she wouldn't get any other way. She'll live! She won't like it, but that's the whole idea, and maybe she'll learn something!
:sad:
Not all wealthy people raise their children to be useless irresponsible decorative objects who think that they are above the rules that everybody else has to live by. But in this case, the parents seem to be totally clueless and completely out of touch with the "real world" that the rest of us live in! If they have not attempted to teach their child to be a mature, responsible, law abiding citizen, then the law has to step in and try to do it for them, just like they would with anybody else. Tough!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt saw this on the news. Her day treatment group spent time discussing it - pointing out that even "rich, pretty" people have consequences. kt spent a bit of time telling me what "bad" choices Paris made.

Whether we like it or not, celebrities contribute to our children's ideas on the "real" world.

Justice has gotten so skewed when it comes to celebrities & their sense of entitlement. My life won't end if Paris, Britney or Lindsey drop off the scene.

Apparently, they feel they are doing us a favor by being a celebrity. Not so much.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Being rich doesn't mean being smart....She could have easily hired a driver to drive her to these places to avoid being caught with suspended license, or a DUI.....

rejectedmom

This is Paris' second probation violation. It has been estimated that she will do about 40 days max. It seems she will get a day off for every 4 days she is a good little girl. I don't know of anyone in the real world that gets that. In the real world a second probation violation will land you in jail for anywhere from 1-15 years depending on the infraction. I have zero sympathy for her. -RM

SRL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: witzend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what exactly was that health condition, anyway?

:doctor: </div></div>

Split ends, no doubt.

What a useless human being. Think what could be done with all that money for good.

donna723

RM, it is common practice in the State prisons to give behavior and other kinds of credits that actually take time off their sentence. Some of the larger county jails may do this too because of overcrowding, but I didn't know they did it on such short sentences.

Our inmates in the State system get behavior (good time) credits and they also get sentence credits for working. These credits aren't automatic and they can be withheld for disciplinary reasons or if they refuse to work. It's supposed to be an incentive for them to follow the rules and stay out of trouble. Disciplinary Boards can also TAKE some of these credits away in extreme cases - something I have only had the pleasure of doing twice in 21 years, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #6600CC"> a judge can pretty much structure a sentence any way he/she pleases.

she got the judge's knickers in a twist because she placed the blame on her manager for not knowing her license was suspended ~~~ apparently she didn't pay attention when the judge sentenced her the first time ~~~ she didn't take the class she was required to either. she was also pretty flip about the whole thing.

what i find so interesting is that we rarely hear anything about the sister who keeps a fairly low profile & seems to be a designer of some sort. she doesn't drive drunk & most of her publicity seems to occur when she's in the company of the *charming* paris.

our local news played an interview of a mom who's son was sentenced to ten days for getting caught smoking pot. first offense....he was a quadriplegic with-many, many health issues. they begged the judge to allow house arrest. it was denied. the man died five days into his sentence.

somehow i suspect paris will learn nothing from all this. mommy & daddy will coddle her & tell her it's all the mean ole judge's fault she had to *suffer such indignities*.

she's exactly where she should be. i only wish the judge had tacked on some nasty community service too.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

donna723

Well, I think "fair" would be treating her just like anybody else, not fair by "Hilton standards"!

I think the judge gave her EXACTLY the right sentence! And from her reaction, it has made a huge impact on her where nothing else had! I believe that was the judges intent all along. It has finally shown her that she IS accountable to the same rules that everybody else is, and that mommy and daddy maybe can't "buy" her out of this one! I hope not anyway. Mommy and daddy can't PAY someone else to go to jail for her! And now that she has found out that there are serious consequences TO HER for her stupid, irresponsible behavior, maybe she'll be more careful next time! And maybe she won't kill some innocent person some day because she decided to drive while partying.

A lot of her problem was that she thought she was "bullet-proof" because of all the money. Losing a drivers license is a huge problem to a lot of people who have to get to work everyday. To her, it should have been no more problem than spending a few bucks to hire a driver, but she didn't do that. She flaunted the law and it came back and bit her in the b*typical teen! The "blame the manager" thing came up when they asked her if she had read the many letters they sent her and she gave the snotty reply that she "had people to do that for her"! There's a lot of people more deserving of my sympathy ... I'm not wasting any of it on her.

DDD

Kris, I read about the dead young man yesterday. Was he in Florida when the Judge decided to ignore the warnings?? DDD