Part 2: Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Son Going to Prom (more of a problem here)

BusynMember

His girlfriend called me to ask me to beg L. to go to the after party, which is at a water park about an hour from the high school. My son does NOT want to go (actually, prom is becoming a big burden to him :D). If it was up to him, he'd just stay home. Every day he makes a comment such as, "But I'm NOT dancing." (He will because he always gives in to what his girlfriend wants to do...lol).

The waterpark is until 5am. He keeps saying, "I don't think I can stay up all night."

I don't know if he can either! He never has! He feels he has to go for his girlfriend, and is pretty much resigned to go. There is no way in hello that we can pick him up if he gets tired in the middle of the night. It's two hours away, hub and I ain't spring chickens anymore and neither of us are night people or like to drive in the dark. He's going to HAVE to stay there until the bus brings the kids back to the school at 5am.

Since he's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and so quiet (although they say he's not quiet in school) I want him to go--it's great this his girlfriend pushes him to do things he'd never do on his own. But all night?

I'm worried.

SRL

If I were in your shoes I'd step in and play the Mean Mom and tell them no after party, especially if he's only 14. That will take the decision and the burden off of him. He's part of this couple and his feelings should be taken into consideration.

A lot more kids are doing homecoming and prom without dates so if she wants to do after prom, she may be able to go alone or with friends without any problem.