Partial Hospitalization Suggested...

jannie

trying to survive....
Hi--

I know this is hard, but I agree with everyone that it is a good decision. I'm so pleased that the two doctors are talking and coordinating. A partial hospitalization will allow doctors to get a full picture of the day as well as to stabilize with medication. Although it can be scary, the programs are usually structured and somewhat entertaining for the kids. Sometimes it's even harder for the parents. Wishing you well--sending positive thoughts during this stressful time.

mattsmum

After the advice of difficult child's therapist, we voluntarily had difficult child admitted to a local Children's Center...inpatient.

I expected the worse and I am shocked, today on Day 2, that my son LOVES it! He even cuts our visits short because he wants to get back to the activities and the kids.

Today they made tye-dye T-shirts and watched a movie sitting on bean bag chairs. The weekends are more casual. Starting on Monday, a team of doctors. that includes a psychiatrist, psychologist and social worker will meet with him. Then he will go to "school" from 9-12 where they work on academics.

In the afternoon he will be attending activities including music therapy, art therapy, gym, etc.

The goal is short-term, and I have been given a rough estimate of a 7-10 day stay.

Hope this helps relieve some of your fears...from someone who is living it now.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thanks again...
I talked to them and we are waiting for insurance to give the go ahead! I asked if we could wait until after K's birthday? The intake coordinator called me and said well there will be one problem! She was serious when she said this and I was thinking OH NO! She said "You will have to wish her a Happy Birthday from us" Isn't that sweet???

So it looks likes she will be going in on the 9th. After the family and friends come to visit for her Birthday... things are horrible right now I don't even know if she can make it 3 weeks... :frown:

I don't know if it is the medications or what. We figure they will be getting her in full K mode!!! With all of the bonuses. She will be so over the top with the visits and just with how she is doing anyway... I guess it is good timing.

I have bruises on my arms from her biting me... she has been cycling up and down so much, with such an increase in anger... I swear it is like the kid is on nothing! She is miserable, we all are. I am actually looking forward to this. husband I think is going to take N with him to Chicago, mother in law... He will be with her every night. I wll be at the hotel next door to the hospital to spend the night with K. They think 1-3 weeks, most likely more than 1... The psychiatrist is going to personally change up the program for us, since it usually works with schools and she is not in "school" yet. He said it will be like a bit more intense than the 5 week partial that do, because of her severity, and where we live. And to avoid full hospitalization, I am happy he is even saying these things...
So besides how horrible things are and family coming, I am looking forward to getting her some help, just nervous.
The hotel has internet also!!!

busywend

Phew/whew to the hotel having internet. We will be there for you while you are there.

I am truly impressed by the professionals and that they are truly considering difficult children age in this. It is wonderful that they did not just say 'too young'. and send you on your way. It has happened - many times in fact.

I am crossing every part of my body that this partial hospitalization is the beginning of truly getting your difficult child happy and able to be like other kids.

Andrea Danielle

Poor you Totoro!! I am so sorry that you are going through all of this but happy you are getting support. What an emotional time this must be ' :crying:
I am thinking about you and will be checking for updates.

Hang in there, sending you some big hugs!
Andrea

Alisonlg

I hope you guys can make it the 3 weeks! It sounds like you have a great plan in place and I'm so happy that you have found this great staff of professionals to work with!!!!!

And I'm so happy that the hotel has internet so we can be there to support you through this! :::hugs:::

smallworld

T, sounds like a plan -- and a good one at that. I'm very impressed that this new psychiatrist is really listening to you and taking steps to make a difference in K's life. I sure hope everything goes as planned. Sending gentle hugs your way tonight.

G

guest3

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry.

I can relate to the feeling of dispair. But difficult child II has been in hospital for a week now, and I won't say I am not worried or missing him, but I will say I recognize I and my family needed the break. And difficult child II is fine there, he now is ready to come home, but over all he likes it there.

You can always come here for unlimited cyber hugs!

pepperidge

Totoro,

I think it will be a much needed break for you, particularly if your husband has your youngest. Please try during the day to take a break from the hospital and do something just for you. This is so stressful day in and day out. Think of it as a partial hospitalization for you too so that you de stress and recharge yourself. Tell the hospital that that's part of the family care plan! Don't know how much time they expect you to spend there, but please find the time for you. As much as possible (lol!!)

hugs
pepperidge