Patriotic Sugar Cookies

On_Call

easy child brought home a book from the school library with cute stories and recipes for a different cookie for each month of the year. The one she wanted me to photocopy was a patriotic red, white & blue sugar cookie recipe for the month of July.

I was asked to make some cookies for a MOMs club bake sale to benefit our local Breast Cancer Foundation and easy child suggested we make the sugar cookies.

Basically, it's the same old same old recipe, but you split the dough in three parts, dying one part red and one part blue. Then you push all three sections together, with white in the middle of course, and make a log. After chilling in the fridge overnight, I sliced them this morning and baked them up before she got on the bus.

The funny part is, while they are very cute and smell delicious - they look surprisingly similar to the Pepsi 'ball' logo - curve and all - it was hysterical. I pointed it out to easy child and she said 'hmm, yeah, you're right'. Hee hee.

Could be that I'm just hooked on Diet Pepsi!! :smile:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>I'm a diet coke fan, so I'm sure the cookies would look patriotic to me....hah. Are they hard or soft sugar cookies? I'm looking for an easy, delicious, SOFT recipe..... </span>

:salute:

On_Call

WhyMe,

Yeah, I don't turn down a Diet Coke, either, but I guess Pepsi would be my first choice.

This particular recipe turned out a bit on the crunchier side. Maybe if you cut the cookies a little thicker they might come out a bit softer. I prefer a chewier cookie myself. It was easy, though.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Why me, I have a WONDERFUL old soft sugar cookie recipe at home, be glad to send it on tomorrow if you want it. Actually, I have 2, one is very old (great grandma's) and not real reliable with "modern" ingredients (when the barometric pressure and temperature is right, they are WONDERFUL tho, or if you can get real cream (not pasuraized, etc) they are wonderful), the other have turned out great every time.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Shari, YES I do want your recipe. You can post for all or send me a message. My mother-in-law used to make the big old soft sugar cookies and I was going to try to master the recipe she gave me, but I happened to misplace it. I hate to ask her for it since it means she will end up baking them and I still won't know how.....please send yours, I bet its very similar!</span>

:thumb:

donna723

WMM - Have you tried the sugar cookie recipe inside the wrapper on the Butter-Flavor Crisco packages?

Those are REALLY good cookie recipes and they all come out soft.

SRL

I sometimes take the sugar cookie recipe from Betty Crocker and add more flour to stiffen it. Then I divide it and color it into three colors. Then I give each kid a glob of each color for them to roll or shape as they want. Once I had blue, yellow, and green and made the Earth--very cool!

We call them Playdough cookies. Great fun when friends are here! I've seen an actual Playdough cookie recipe but it was a more grownup dough for artisan baking.

On_Call

SRL,

Funny you should mention playdough cookie dough. That's exactly what this dough looks like when you get done dying it. I thought that as I was mixing the color in.

easy child wants to make some more this weekend. I think I will double the batch and make all sorts of colors for her. She would definitely enjoy all the creations she can come up with!