Paxil info and experiences

EastCoastChris

paroxetine

Pronunciation: pa ROCK sah teen
Brand: Paxil, Paxil CR

What is the most important information I should know about paroxetine?
• Do not stop taking paroxetine without first talking to your doctor. It may take 4 weeks or more for you to start feeling better and you may experience unpleasant side effects if you stop taking paroxetine suddenly.

What is paroxetine?
• Paroxetine is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Paroxetine affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression, panic or anxiety, or obsessive or compulsive symptoms.
• Paroxetine is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder (social phobia).
• Paroxetine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Who should not take paroxetine?
• Do not take paroxetine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) during the last 2 weeks. Serious, and sometimes fatal, reactions have occurred when these medicines have been used together. Also, do not take paroxetine if you are taking thioridazine (Mellaril). Dangerous, even fatal irregular heartbeats may occur if these medicines are taken together. You must wait 5 weeks after stopping paroxetine before taking thioridazine (Mellaril).
• Before taking paroxetine, tell your doctor if you
· have liver disease,
· have kidney disease,
· suffer from seizures, or
· suffer from mania or have suicidal thoughts.
• You may not be able to take paroxetine, or you may need a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• Paroxetine is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether it will harm an unborn baby. Do not take paroxetine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
• Paroxetine passes into breast milk and may affect a nursing baby. Do not take paroxetine without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take paroxetine?
• Take paroxetine exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with water.
• Swallow the controlled-release tablets (Paxil CR) whole, without crushing or chewing. They are specially formulated to release the medication slowly in your body.
• Shake the suspension well before measuring a dose. To ensure that you get the correct dose, measure the suspension with a dose-measuring cup or spoon, not with a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
• Paroxetine may be taken with or without food.
• Try to take paroxetine at the same time each day.
• Do not stop taking paroxetine without first talking to your doctor. It may take 4 weeks or more for you to start feeling better and you may experience unpleasant side effects if you stop taking paroxetine suddenly.
• Store paroxetine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not take a double dose of this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of a paroxetine overdose include nausea, vomiting, tremor, seizures, agitation, drowsiness, hyperactivity, and enlarged pupils.

What should I avoid while taking paroxetine?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Paroxetine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
• Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness or dizziness while you are taking paroxetine.

What are the possible side effects of paroxetine?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking paroxetine and call your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· an irregular heartbeat or pulse;
· low blood pressure (dizziness, weakness);
· high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision);
· unusual bleeding or bruising; or
· fever or chills.
• Less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take paroxetine and talk to your doctor if you experience
· headache;
· tremor, nervousness, or anxiety;
· nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, or changes in appetite or weight;
· sleepiness or insomnia; or
· decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect paroxetine?
• Do not take paroxetine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) during the last 2 weeks. Serious, and sometimes fatal, reactions have occurred when these medicines have been used together. Also, do not take paroxetine if you are taking thioridazine (Mellaril). Dangerous, even fatal irregular heartbeats may occur if these medicines are taken together. You must wait 5 weeks after stopping paroxetine before taking thioridazine (Mellaril).
• Before taking paroxetine, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
· a benzodiazepine including diazepam (Valium), alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clorazepate (Tranxene), temazepam (Restoril), triazolam (Halcion), and others;
· a tricyclic antidepressant including amitriptyline (Elavil), imipramine (Tofranil), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), and others;
· a phenothiazine including chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), mesoridazine (Serentil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine), and others;
· sumatriptan (Imitrex), naratriptan (Amerge), rizatriptan (Maxalt), or zolmitriptan (Zomig);
· carbamazepine (Tegretol) or phenytoin (Dilantin);
· lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith, others);
· theophylline (Theobid, Theolair, Theochron, Elixophyllin, and others);
· warfarin (Coumadin);
· digoxin (Lanoxin); or
· cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB).
• You may not be able to take paroxetine, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with paroxetine. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Where can I get more information?
• Your pharmacist has additional information about paroxetine written for health professionals that you may read.

gary s

When I was first diagnosis with Generalized Anxiety Disorder I was prescribed 20 mg. Paxil daily.

It wasn't a problem while I was out on disability, but, once I returned to work, I noticed I was very groggy & sleepy during the day, very hard to get myself going. When I saw psychiatrist for the first time, he changed me to Celexa & I've had no further problems with grogginess.

I think this was the only problem I experienced with Paxil.

The_Arc

I was misdiagnosed with Anxiety and give 10mg of Paxil daily. Taken at night, for a while it seemed to help me sleep. (I'm 37 with a difficult child in Residential Treatment Center (RTC))

When the panic attacks, labored breathing, and heart flutters continued we discontinued the Paxil gradually over a weeks time.

Currently being tested for Endocrine system related diseases.

difficult child has been on paxil for about 6 months and we really can't tell if it is having any effect--he has become much more affectionate over this time, but its hard to say if its the paxil. I think it has helped with his tics-but doctor says it is tic neutral-so while difficult child has tried it-I really can't say much good or bad.

JulieD

Paxil was prescribed for my 15 year old easy child for anxiety. She takes 30 mg a day and has been on it for a year now. It has made a huge difference in how she feels. Before the Paxil she had a lot of anxiety associated with adolescent type issues. She began to crawl into a shell and worry about everything. After she began taking Paxil I can truly say she became the outgoing, fun-loving daughter she had always been. She has had no side effects from this drug.

Nancy

ck1992

I'm glad that Nancy has positive things to say about Paxil. I know that some people think it's a wonder drug.

I tried it quite a while ago and it felt like I was on hallucinogens. :eek: I had double vision, balance problems (probably due to the double vision), terrible dizziness, increased anxiety and felt like creepy-crawlies were all over my body. I know that some of these side effects go away over time but I couldn't take it for longer than 3 days before I said ENOUGH.

Suz

Gabriela

I take Paxil for menopause symptoms and it has worked wonders for me. I am no longer on HRT, no longer have the sweats, irritability, extreme tiredness, etc. It has also made me more outgoing and self confident.

However, I have tried twice to slowly withdraw myself since Paxil is supposed to be a short-term treatment. Both times I have gone through serotonin syndrome and have had to start it again (there is no way I can be incapicated for weeks). So I am still taking it after two years. My goal is to more slowly wean myself. I have been taking 10 mg one day and 5 mg the next for two months with no problems. The trick is to go EXTREMELY slowly. But if I do wean myself and go back to the Menopausal Meanie I will start taking it again.

A lot of the SSRIs are chemically different, and just because one does not work is no reason to not try another. It can be a godsend when you hit on the correct one.

GrandPa

I took Paxil about 6 years ago for depression. It made me outgoing to an extreme. Heck I talked to everybody. On the street, in elevators, delivery boys at my office. It didn't matter, I was chatty.

I felt much better on it, but after being on it for about 4 months, I developed terrible, terrible dizziness. I was pretty much confined to bed for two weeks with the dizziness. My doctor took me off of the Paxil cold turkey, which made me very physically sick, also emotionally sick. I cried all the time and felt awful.

My recommendation would be to not take it, but to try other medications first.

anotherday

difficult child was given a trial of Paxil for anxiety. At 5 mg we could see no benefit. At 10 mg he had trouble sleeping and was up before 5 am 2 to 3 times a week.

Several other SSRI medications were tried all with poor results. Perhaps this is just the wrong category of medications for difficult child.

Elise

#1 has been on paxil for about 12 weeks and was taking zoloft before that. I've noticed less of the anxious pacing he does and he seems to be getting to sleep a little quicker at night. The insignificant worries that he had before the medications have returned like asking me over and over not to forget the house keys so were not locked out for eg. It seems to me like we will have to see which medication targets the most bothersome, perseverative symptoms and go with it.

Jolie

My difficult child#4 has been on Paxil for about 2 years now. It has greatly reduced his anxiety, which was terrible. He would fall apart over the smallest things, like a broken shoelace. His psychiatrist is weaning him off the 40mg dose he was on because he feels that he has no inhibitions. (he's down to 5mg a day) But, I have only positive things to say about it's effect on my guy.
Chava

The Leslie

husband was on paxil for about 5 years. he had no terrible side effects, but he had started at 10mgs, then was increased to 20 mgs a day. just before he was taken off it, he was up to 40 mgs a day. I think the effectiveness wore off over time and the medication had to be increased. as for side effects, I do think he slept better, but he did experience difficulty in maintaining an erection/achieving orgasm. he has now been switched to remeron.