Pediatrician agreed inatt add is likely

Anxworrier

So we are going to try vyvanse. He is going on school trip wednesday to Friday so we will start on saturday so I can see ow he does, feels. I'm praying this help him!

InsaneCdn

I'm wary of a diagnosis by pediatrician for add... there may be much more going on, and the pediatrician will NOT have done a comprehensive evaluation, and may not even be aware of some of the other possibilities.

Anxworrier

This is just the first step for us. But I am really happy to be able to try something to help difficult child. All his teachers at school filled out the forms and I did as well, and gave a thorough history regarding his past school challenges and work performance. I am not saying he has no LDs but my next step is to get school on board with some evaluating.

InsaneCdn

Assuming he really does have ADD, the most frequent co-morbid issues are:
1) motor skills - fine and/or gross (can be one without the other). This would be an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, and the school's level of evaluation is not detailed.
2) LDs - very common, and yes, school "should" be able to test for these. Accuracy/validity depends on the qualifications of the tester and the attitude of the school/SD. If they are honestly wanting to deal with LDs (and some school systems DO take LDs seriously), school testing will be useful.
3) might not hurt to rule out Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), especially the lessor known ones like "auditory figure ground" (problems filtering out background noise). APDs can look like ADD... or it can be both.

T

TeDo

You're right, it's a good first step but I would still get neuropsychologist testing done. If nothing else, find a GOOD child psychiatrist, one that doesn't "specialize" in anything. Hope the medication works.