People Are Idiots

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was just looking at pics of the Ike hurricane..........

And I lost count of how many out of 200 or so had people standing nearby while these waves that are taller than they are by far are headed straight for them. One was of a kid holding onto a sign....legs straight out......in the wind! Other were of people determined to wait it out in already flooded houses.

Now I'm not afraid of tornadoes. I'll watch the sky until I see it coming. But then I get my fanny where it's safe. You'd think after Katrina people would listen when told to GET OUT.

Evidently not.:mad:

One lady feels "confident" to ride out the storm in her 15th floor apartment. Gee, reports I've read indicate the high winds are gonna be really hard on sky scrapers. duh

I'm not normally one to follow such things. I avoid the news. But this thing looks massive, and weather people are saying it is..........So what the heck are you gonna stick around for??

I supposed there are some in every lot, but it still just amazes me.

And after seeing all those pics........praying hard all in the path are safe and stay that way!

F

flutterbee

I saw those pictures and was thinking the same exact thing. Those are the people that don't heed the evacuation orders, then they end up having to be rescued.

If you don't leave when ordered, then you're SOL as far as I'm concerned.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Everytime something like this happens there are those who say "I"m not leaving my house". Afterwards they are sniveling and crying saying they will never do that again. It's the same over and over.

To put their own children through this is atrocious. To put paramedics, police and firemen at risk is atrocious.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Doesn't make it any better to see news people standing around in the pounding rain and electrical cords to their microphones with water sloshing all around...... if they can be there why can't homeowners stick it out? Yeah, just enough dumb to go around.... I'm with you on the tornadoes, at least with them if you go to a basement you are somewhat protected......in a hurricane you can't go up because of wind and you can't go down because of water........ where do you go? Inland I guess......

donna723

It's because they ARE idiots! Especially people who have never been through a bad hurricane before, or if it's been a while since the last bad storm they tend to forget. We saw it when we lived in Florida ... with every bad storm there'd be at least one moron standing out on the end of the Daytona pier hanging on for dear life! They had one such idiot on "Good Morning America" a few weeks ago. When the storm hit he was trying to wind-surf with a giant kite attached to him - he blew into the side of a building or a sign or something. Can't feel too sorry for him - too bad - s**ks to be him!

But the ones who choose to stay when told to evacuate are a mystery to me! If they tell you to get out, you take your kids and your pets and whatever valuables you can take with you and you GET OUT! I think they had the right idea this time when the storm was heading for New Orleans. They called for a mandatory evacuation and told them that if they chose to stay, they would be on their own. I agree with Fran that police and paramedics shouldn't be expected to risk their own lives for these fools. Fran, do you still own your beach house in Texas? Any word yet?

People have this thing where they have to prove that they are better.

So HOUSTON...where a good portion of NO's residents relocated to after Katrina...is full of people who are out to show that they are stronger, more resilient than those from NO.

I also think it is a Texas thing, and nothing against Texans. They are a proud bunch down there.

But yeah. Anyone who decides that they will ride out a category 4 hurricane is as dumb as a box of hair.

Andy

I think that everyone who refuses to obey the evacuation notice should be given a $500 fine per person in their household that didn't get out. We get fined for disobeying other authority rules. So, before allowing people back, police go through neighborhoods and hand these out.

meowbunny

I agree that those standing near the water with waves crashing that are taller than they are are complete and total idiots. Have always thought that.

However, I also understand not being willing to evacuate. Many did evacuate before Tourette's Syndrome Fay. They spent hundreds of dollars to say in hotels and motels further inland. They inconvenienced themselves and friends and families to get out of Fay's path. Fay gave them a lot of water, some flooding but nothing really major. People again were told to leave the Florida Keys for Ike. Again, nothing major happened. So, Ike is now in Texas and has just been downgraded to a Category 1.

It is hard to take hurricane warnings time after time when the damage is minimal time after time. Yes, we know the next one could be another Andrew or Katrina but it could be a Fay or even less. It is hard to leave your home and spend tremendous amounts of money for no reason and that is how many see it. So, I do understand why people don't leave. Honestly, would you leave every time they told you to just in case things got bad?

muttmeister

I feel sorry for the kids and pets of those adults who choose to stay as for the adults themselves: maybe it's a way to weed out some of the idiots. If they get killed at least they won't be able to reproduce.
OK, I'm sort of joking, but not really.

DammitJanet

The news people have a job to do...so do the rescue folks. I dont know what I would have watched all last night if I hadnt been able to be glued to the tv watching in abstract fascination almost wanting Geroldo Rivera to go crashing into the Gulf! Yes Im joking but if he clung on to that palm tree any tighter I thought I was gonna die laughing at him. I really dont like that man a whole lot. But seriously...the other news reporters do go out there to keep us all informed. They risk their lives so we know what is going on. Doesnt matter if it is national disasters, wars, or whatever.

I think folks are stupid to stay if told to evacuate and they live in a place that is likely to be in harms way. I have lived through too many hurricanes but I have seen dumb folks for years. Im one that has evacuated and I have worked shelters. It would take an awful huge storm to make me evacuate from my home where I live now. But I dont live on the coast nor in a flood zone.

Fran...please let us know how your place fared when you find out. I have been worried about it. I keep watching the footage and thinking of all the places I saw when I was in Houston and Galveston. Guess I am really glad I got to see it when I did.

tiredmommy

Adrianne- I live in the Buffalo area and occasionally some fool will get themselves in trouble with Niagara Falls, the Niagara River, one of the lakes, etc. These folks may be subject to a hefty fine plus the cost of the rescue. Maybe something like that would help bring down the estimated $8 billion cost of Ike and help keep first responders out of harms way in the future?