Perturbed about this....

Sheila

A follow up to my depression, anxiety or moodiness? thread a couple of weeks ago.

Email sent to Principal:

Hi Ms. Principal,

We’ve got a problem that I hope you can help us resolve involving alleviating difficult child’s anxiety.

As you know, difficult child had a rough 2nd semester. With school being out, he is not recovering as he typically does with-these episodes. Further, he is now having very atypical crying spells and sleep problems due to anxiety.

I’ve recently learned that on the last day that difficult child was in ISS (last week of school), reportedly an ISS teacher told difficult child that, “You will probably be in DAEP next year” -- the straw that broke the camel’s back so to speak.

I explained that she may have been just frustrated; and that he must make a good effort to control his behavior so as not to have to worry about ISS or DAEP. It’s not enough.

He needs you or Mr. AP’s reassurance that he has not been assigned to DAEP next year. However, with the way he misinterprets information, care must be taken to not giving him a “green light” to misbehave.

I’m sorry to bother you with this during the summer, but we have to get him stabilized as soon as possible. Any suggestions?

Hope the summer is off to a good start.

Sheila

slsh

member since 1999
Oh Sheila - I'm so sorry to hear that difficult child isn't springing back. It's remarkable how careless some folks can be with- comments to/near our kiddos.... in spite of their prickly exteriors, they really are very vulnerable.

Hopefully someone will respond and reassure difficult child - without giving him a blank check (you are *such* a wise woman!!).

Sending good thoughts his way.

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #006600"> oh, the problems unconsidered words can cause! what kind of class is DAEP? hope things settle down soon.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry he is struggling. I hope Principal or AP can help alleviate his anxiety. I too am wondering what is DAEP?

Sheila

DAEP = Discipline Alternative Education Program

It's where major behavior problem students are warehoused for 45 days+; One step down from being expelled.

F

flutterbee

Oh, for crying out loud. I'd be way beyond perturbed.

Keep us posted with how the principal responds. I hope they can ease difficult child's fears about this.

busywend

Wow, I hope Mr. Principal responds quickly and understands the seriousness of getting difficult child stabilized for summer break.