Pet Food Recall: Iams & Eukanuba

SRL

P&G Pet Care Announces Voluntary Participation in Menu Foods' Nationwide U.S. and Canadian Recall of Specific Canned and Small Foil Pouch 'Wet' Cat and Dog Foods
Kurt Weingand, D.V.M., Ph.D.
937-264-7676

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Dayton, OH -- March 16, 2007 -- In response to the recent Menu Foods, Inc. nationwide recall of wet pet foods, P&G Pet Care has announced a voluntary recall in the United States and Canada on specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch "wet" cat and dog food products manufactured by Menu Foods Inc. Emporia, Kansas plant with the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197. This voluntary recall is part of a larger product recall by Menu Foods Inc., a contract manufacturer that makes a small portion of canned and foil pouch 'wet' cat foods for Iams and Eukanuba as well as other non-P&G brands. There have been a small number of reported cases of cats from the US (none in Canada) becoming sick and developing signs of kidney failure. The signs of kidney failure include loss of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy. P&G Pet Care has received no case reports involving dogs.

This voluntary product recall involves discontinuation of all retail sales and product retrieval from consumers. Consumers should stop using the affected products immediately, and consult with a veterinarian if any symptoms are present in their pet. All Iams and Eukanuba products carry a 100 percent guarantee, and consumers can receive a refund for recalled products. For more information, consumers can contact the company at 1-800-882-1591 or visit http://www.Iams.com and http://www.Eukanuba.com for details.

To read can product codes, refer to the bottom of the can. The first four numbers of the second line of numbers are the date code, and the following four numbers indicate the plant code. For example, if the second line begins with four numbers from 6339 to 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, then the can should be recalled. For foil pouches, the code numbers are located at the lower left hand corner on the back of the pouch. The date and plant codes appear in the third group of numbers, beginning an 11-digit sequence. See http://www.Iams.com and http://www.Eukanuba.com for illustrated details.

P&G Pet Care is taking this proactive step out of an abundance of caution, because the health and well-being of pets is paramount in the mission of Iams and Eukanuba. Tests of some affected product have not revealed the cause of sickness, and testing will continue until a better understanding of the facts has been achieved. All other canned and small foil wet pouch products produced at other plants are not affected by this issue. Iams and Eukanuba "dry" products are not manufactured at Menu Foods and not affected by this issue. Iams and Eukanuba biscuits, treats and sauces are not affected by this issue.

P&G Pet Care has informed the Food and Drug Administration and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency on this issue. The company regrets any inconvenience to its consumers and retail customers.

Lothlorien

Thanks. I don't buy the wet Iams, but do buy the dry. I'm glad the dry isn't affected. That's scary for animal owners.

donna723

I've watched this on TV and gone to the websites, and the more I see, the more confused I get.

:faint:

I buy both wet and dry food for mine and I don't THINK that the ones I buy are any of the affected brands. They're only talking about the wet versions of those brands, right? And each different grocery chain has it's own name for their store brands.

:faint:

The list of brands they gave was really long, everything from the expensive brands you buy at the Vet's office to the cheapest store brands. Does this mean they're all made in the same place? Makes me wonder. I know someone who once worked in a huge grocery warehouse who told me that all their canned vegetables remained unlabeled until an order was placed for them. Then they would be labeled according to where they were going, some under more expensive brand names, some as cheaper store brands. Exactly the same cans, same contents ... different labels! Hmmmmm!!

skeeter

while the products may be made at the same factory, it doesn't mean they are made out of the same ingredients, or combination of ingredients. Menu Foods is what is known as a "contract" producer. Companies such as P&G furnish the raw materials, containers, and formula cards to Menu Foods, and they make the product and pack it (there are contract packers, that take a product made somewhere else, and just pack it).
A contract producer often runs Brand X on Monday, Brand Y on Tuesday, etc.
Contract producers are nothing new - Coca Cola has used local bottlers forever.

dreamer

This is sort of creepy- but me and oldest difficult child were in 3 grocery stores today (2 are very small mom and pop local stores, right next to each other, both relatively new) and also super walmart (also brand new) and not a single one of these stores has ANY peanut butter BUT they still have ALL the cat and dog foods out on the shelves! They have not even begun to pull any.....not even the named affected brands!

Our school here teaches our children about food safety, expiration dates etc from k-garten- (drives me nuts) and my oldest difficult child can get quite obsessed with it all.........well, she still remembers the spinach (partly cuz we LOVE spinach here) and the lettuce (and taco bell) and the..........finger in chili at wendys.LOL...........and now the peanut butter and now so close after peanut butter is the pet food..and 2 of our kitties have been a little ill...........so-difficult child has been absolutely freaking out over all of it, now, and was awake all nite telling me thats it, she is DONE>she is NOT eating anymore. Aw yeesh. It is kinda funny. I said well gosh, then you will die anyway so might as well just take your chances and eat anyway....cuz then maybe you will luck out and NOT get "bad" food. LOL.

SRL

My cat isn't too keen on canned and pouch stuff--especially the slices variety that's the main problem (he licks up the grazy and leaves the rest) so I gave all of it to my mother's cat! Nice gift, I know...

It was pretty enlightening to see that huge list made all by the same manufacturer. I know there's a lot of that going on but it's probably a lot huger than we think.