Pet Food recall

Nancy

We feed our dog Nutro Max and Nutro Ultra along with Natural Choice pouch. All of these are among those recalled although it was difficult to find out since Menu Foods is nowhere on the label.

Only a couple of the cans and pouches had the dates recalled. The others appear to be from different expiration dates but I'm still afraid to use them.

Does anyone know what the reason for the orriginal recall was? Is it contaminated food or what? And how do we know only those dates are affected?

I tried calling the company but of course you can't get through and when you do get through to their website they give very little information. I'm thinking of just throwing out all 20 cans and 8 pouches but I dont; know if I trust them anymore. My dog has eaten that brand all her life and I'm afraid to switch.

What are others doing?

Nancy

Lothlorien

Isn't it for the same reason as Iams and the other brand (can't thin of it at the moment) Dreamer posted about it. Animals were getting very sick, some with kidney failure. They still haven't figured out the cause.

I give my dog Alpo and Pedigree. She has been fine, until today when she lost control and went on the floor. What a mess! I wonder if they are going to recall any others.

Nancy

There are a lot of brands being recalled, not just the ones I listed. And it's very difficult to find a complete list of all the brands. Evidently Menu Foods makes dog food for a lot of different pet food companies under their own brand so there are quite a few affected.

Nancy

OMGoodness, this is the first I have read of this. We feed Iams small bites, anyone know if that was affected? It is a dry kibble.

Also, are there any cat foods involved in this? We have a 2 yo Bengal and a brand new Bengal kitten and would HATE to lose either of them! Feed them Max Kitten kibble and canned!

How do you find out which brands have been recalled?

Panicking,
Vickie

Nancy

Vickie,

IAMS is one of the brands recalled, however just the can or pouch food, not the dry food. And there are a lot of cat foods affected also. If you go to the website for Menu Foods you can get the list, it's very extensive.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks! I just realized we switched a while back to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul dry kibble for the dogs. The cats are on Max Kitten dry and canned. I only see Nutro Max pouches on the list, not the dry or canned, but I am planning on visiting the Nutro site next. Chicken soup site has a disclaimer across the top stating that their foods are in no way affected by the recall. Whew/phew!

Just what we all need, to worry about our 4 legged family members!!!

Thanks and hugs,
Vickie

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't think you need to worry if you use dry food. It is only the kind with a gravy added.

~Kathy

Lothlorien

I just got this off of the CNN website

Recalled cat foods
Americas Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Best Choice; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Good n Meaty; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Nutriplan; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Paws; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; Total Pet; My True Friend; Wegmans; Western Family; White Rose; and Winn Dixie.

Recalled dog foods
America's Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Bruiser; Cadillac; Companion; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat; Shep Dog; Food Lion; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Natural Choice; Nutro; Ol'Roy; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride; President's Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Publix; Roche Bros; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Springsfield Pride; Sprout; Stater Bros; Total Pet; My True Friend; Western Family; White Rose; Winn Dixie and Your Pet.

dreamer

Well, the grocery and department stores here did NOT remove the affected foods until Monday PM!
Our local paper did not carry coverage at all of the recall until TODAY!
Our local news channel finally discussed this yesterday--------there are at least 3 people here who have lost their cats due to kidney failure and they did use products off the affected list. Turns out I know 2 of those people.

I did not know until yesterday that some Purina brands and some Friskies brands had also been pulled. ACK!
Our littlest kitten, the one who had been sick, the vet had originally told us maybe part of her becoming sick was related to me changing her off a brand of canned food the "birth" family fed her to the dry Purina I prefferred my pets to eat. SO vet had us switch back to the canned food they previously ate and to mix it with dry food and to transition slowly over months.
Several times my oldest difficult child commented Mom, whenever the kitties eat the cut food in gravy, they get sick, throw up and get the runs and cry. We called the vet and the vet assumed, as I did, that maybe the kittens were not chewing that kind of food good enough. We then tried to stick to the fully ground types, but, then our stores ran out of the fully ground ones 2 weeks ago and I had little choice if I were to stay with vets advice and stay with the same brand, but to buy cuts in gravy.
My dog also had 2 kinds of food he would eat..and one is also a recalled kind.
Now my dog has been lethargic and the kitties throw up and have the runs, BUT I DID stop giving them the foods on the recall list.......last week...but then they were getting the Purina and Friskies.........which now has also been recalled.

Becuz we had 4 jears of recalled peanut butter, and several brands of recalled spinach, my oldest difficult child who has always had serious food phobias is totally panic struck. Truth told, I am also afraid for our kittens and my dog.
And now I have read that unless you HAVE remnants of the food and the original can it came out of.and have kept it in a ziplock and held on to it, you may not get any compensation or relief if your pet got sick or died. (partly becuz they said many cats DO suffer kidney problems anyway)

I am SO frustrated.
ANd I am absolutely furious that in our area these recalls were handled so casually. I find it unconscionable that the recall first hit media last Thurs and our stores left the food out for purchase until 10 PM Monday nite.and that our local paper did not even mention it at all until today.

I am also frustrated and annoyed becuz I have tried in my email to notify my personal friends and family members, but the recall info has been so slow forthcoming and so confusing, I cannot even tell you how many people I know who were still using the affected brands as late as yesterday. It makes me very sad and more than a little disturbed.

Nancy

I'm disgusted about the way this was handled also. It wasn't until Monday evening that there was even anything on the website from the dog food company that we use which was recalled, and to find that you had to click on a tiny link titled "press release".

Yesterday I took my pooch to the vet because she was throwing up. For the past month she has been asking to go out every 15 minutes and acting very strange by hiding behind furniture and going up to bed hours before we go up. The vet checked her urine and sd it was clear so we are assuming the vomitting is not from the food.

However I did bring back 30 cans and 8 pouches of the food to PetsMart and they took it back no questions asked. Their shelves were filled with the recalled food, I assume they checked the dates. But I will not use it again ever.

I'm also disgusted that I have been paying a premium for food they claim was premium and now I find out the same company made it along with 50 other brands and probably just slap a different label on it.

I found a pet food store in our area that deals only in natural foods, no fillers, no cereal, no wheat. I bought several different ones to see which she will like but it's going to probably throw off her digestive track.

Our vet told me that until they find out what really caused the problem he wouldn't use any of the brands affected.

Nancy

donna723

Usually mine get the canned Alpo, and so far, I haven't seen it on any of the lists. If I can't get the Alpo, I usually buy them Pedigree, and so far, I haven't seen that one either. It scares me though because I keep hearing of more and more brands that are affected and I don't trust the stores to have kept up with all of it and pulled the questionable brands off the shelves. If anything were to happen to any of my girls, I would never forgive myself!

So far, it IS just the wet varieties though, isn't it?

But would they not have used the same wheat products in the dry foods?

I think I found the perfect solution this morning! In the mornings, mine get dry food mixed with the canned. I thought I had two cans of Alpo in the cabinet, but there were none. So there I was, standing in my kitchen at 6:00 a.m. today making scrambled eggs for my dogs for breakfast! They were very appreciative!

Nancy

LOL Donna, the vet actually suggested I make people food and mix it with the dry, but then he acknowledged that it may spoil her more than she is already.

Yes,they say it's only the wet food, but I have the same question, don't they use the same wheat in the dry? They aren't giving us enough information. And I'm still using the dry food from Nutro so I don't know what to do but I don't want to change all her food at the same time.

Nancy