Phenibut: New Drug

Crayola13

Phenibut isn't really a new drug. It is an old one making a comeback. A girl in my class was absent today with vomiting and dizziness. Phenibut is legal and doesn't require a prescription. It has a long half-life and can take days to get out of the system. It is highly addictive. At first, the side effects are wonderful--sleep, relaxation, no more social anxiety, more pleasant attitude, energy, enhanced concentration, aphrodisiac, headache reliever, fibromyalgia reliever, and appetite suppressant. Sounds great, right? Then comes the vomiting, dizziness, and diarrhea for the next few days. It is like a hangover times a billion that won't go away.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I did a little research on this stuff. It's one of many "nootropics" on the market that target specific brain chemicals and their reactions.

I found some of its effects intriguing as described, but wouldn't take it for fear of addiction as it acts on some of the same pathways benzos do and apparently has an equally miserable withdrawal.

Like all nootropics, there are also drug interaction issues. From the sounds of things, phenibut is unikely to be available without RX for much longer.

Meanwhile, it's cheap, it provides both a benzo like high for a few hours, then a sense of euphoria, cessation of social anxiety, and a feeling of being "on top of the world".

Recommendations currently are not to take it more than once or twice a week. If nothing else, it can cause profound and possibly permanent (or at least long-term) sleep disturbances.