Phone call from surgeon's office

flutterby

Fly away!
My doctor insisted on sending me to a GI doctor after the ultrasound came back ok.

So, today I get a message from a surgeon's office? I guess for a colonoscopy? I tried to call my doctor's office, but it just rang and rang (guess they were really busy) and then I had to lie down because I wasn't feeling well.

I'm just confused. I don't know if this is the right way to go. I would think I should see a GI doctor first to determine if the colonoscopy and/or endoscopy is necessary. I really don't want to go through tests like that if I don't need to.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather..........a gastroenterologist is who you should be seeing, and they would be the one to decide/do the colonoscopy if it is necessary. Unfortunately mother in law went thru several of these.......always done by the gastroenterologist (GI doctor).

I don't know what the hades she has a surgeon calling you for???

Dang I was so hoping you'd having at least some answers to the problem by now.

((hugs))

DammitJanet

A surgeon doesnt do the colonoscopy, a GI doctor does. At least, that is who did Jamie's 2 and his endoscopy. A surgeon might do a laproscropromy (sp) to see if they can see anything in there.

Have you considered that girlfriend diet before going through all these invasive procedures? I hate invasive stuff so I would try the diet before all this stuff.

graceupongrace

A little warning from your doctor before the surgeon's call would have been nice! No wonder you're confused! :anxious:

Heather, why don't you write out a list of your questions about the colonoscopy/endoscopy (and whatever else) for the surgeon and for your doctor. It's easy to forget to ask when you're in the moment, especially if they're telling you something worrisome. I have a friend who always does that, and it has really helped her make sure she gets the information she needs.

Hope you feel better!

(((hugs)))

flutterby

Fly away!
I checked out their website and they do colonoscopies and endoscopies.

I'm going to try the girlfriend diet. But I really think I do need to check this out, too. The pain got better - not gone, but better - and it started back up again today. It feels like my insides are ripping apart.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just a point of clarification... colo-rectal surgeons do conduct colonoscopies! I had my first one with a surgeon... mainly because I didn't have a GI and my 49-year old cousin had just died from colon cancer and I wanted a screening, so my gyno referred me to this guy.

Josie

I think it is a good idea to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy just to make sure there isn't something else going on that will show up on this test. I would ask them to test for celiac disease with the endoscopy. I am not sure if that is standard or not, but while they are there, they might as well do it.

I would still encourage you to try the girlfriend diet even if they say you don't have celiac disease based on the endoscopy. My mom had the endoscopy to look for celiac and even though hers was negative, she eats girlfriend because she feels better.

If you want some help figuring out what to eat when you try it, let me know.