Phone Call

pasajes4

I was getting ready to go to the hodpital to see my son. They found him in a janitorial closet smoking weed.

I just dont even know what to say. He has to be some kind of special stupid.

dstc_99

Damn! The kid gets your sympathys because he was treated so poorly then turns around and breaks the law. Doesn't he realize if they call the cops he could wind right back up in another hell hole. I'm going to guess that job isn't going to work out.

Sorry Pasa!

InsaneCdn

I just hope they get the hospital social worker involved. There is more to this story... this is just one tiny piece of the picture. He needs HELP.
'
Sending Hugs.

Lil

Oh Pasa I'm just speechless. I really hope they consider getting him help. A hospital should be equipped for it.

nerfherder

I'm going to think outside the box here for a minute.

If he is more functional when high, or at least more emotionally stable, he may be self-medicating. It may be worth thinking about him moving to a state where medical marijuana laws are compatible with his current condition. He may never be a fully functional adult, but if that gives him a shot at better self control when under treatment it may be a preferable state of affairs.

Copabanana

They found him in a janitorial closet smoking weed.
PASA where do you think he got the weed? A relative? A staff member? There is more to the story here. Is somebody selling drugs at the hospital? Did your son have money? Was the pot given to him? By whom?
I just hope they get the hospital social worker involved.
I agree with IC.

He had a possible brain injury. A concussion. This kind of behavior could compromise his recovery. It should be addressed in any discharge plan.

This may be an opportunity to get a comprehensive discharge treatment plan to address some of his psychosocial issues and needs.

What about school for him? Has he graduated? If not, have you thought about an IEP? Now.

Look at the other side of the coin. He was caught, still not at home. Use the leverage you have now to think about your conditions, what you need to have in place before he comes home.

Have they made a police report? I assume in your state this is illegal...but I do not know.

How stupid. It is beyond stupid. Bye bye job.

More than that, he as if betrayed the people who have cared for him there at the hospital. I am sure he did not think about that. Especially you.

What has been his reaction? Any shame?

I am sorry PASA. How disappointing.

PS The hospital may have responsibility here. Where in the world did he get the pot???? He is a juvenile still. While he is there, are they not responsible?

Last edited:

DoneDad

He wants to apply for a custodial job then is smoking weed in the janitorial closet - sounds like he made a friend. You're being let down at every turn by institutions and the people in them. Sorry about this.

pasajes4

He called a friend. He was honest about it. He loved the pain medication and being high on it. They stoppef giving it to him and had switched to regular stuff and he just wanted to be high.

They did not call the police. I can only guess why. Right now i don't know how i feel about that.

I am so mad right now that I told the staff I need to calm down before i talk to them about the next step. He won't be leaving his room or having any visitors while he is still in their care.

comatheart

Wow, i just don't even know what to say. Im shocked this was allowed to happen.

I totally understand you being so mad you dont want to say anything right this moment. Hugs!!!!!!

pasajes4

I do not blame the hospital at all. They had no idea thst he would do something so stupid and dangerous.

The only reason that they did not call the police was because he was in such bad shape.

He has the sense of a turnip.

His attitude right now is totally obnoxious.

toughlovin

I am so sorry you are going through this....I so understand the special kind of stupid...my son has done many of those things. It does show to some extent where your son is at which is disappointing and extremely frustrating. It is very upsetting he was able to get his hands on some weed....but I think this kind of thing happens often unfortunately. I definitely would ask the hospital how this happened and hope they use it to tighten up their protocols because something obviously fell through the cracks. I am curious what the hospital is saying and what their approach is now?

Childofmine

one day at a time
I'm so sorry pas. Don't try to understand it. It is what it is. Work to let go of what he did and just wait and see what happens next. He is on a path and maybe, just maybe, something new will happen. When a lot of change is occurring, sometimes the whole path moves in a new direction. That is what I am hoping for you and for him tonight. {{{{hugs}}}}

allusedup

I am a little lost...except if the job is at the hospital he is in, there are privacy laws that should protect him. He would have failed a drug test anyway so I am assuming he wasn't going to have to do one. I guess there is no figuring it out. My son started smoking pot after his father died and I feel he was self medicating as well. He quickly became a heavy smoker and there was nothing I could do about it. He got a wake up call when he passed out and went to the hospital in an ambulance. Maybe if his doctor had a brutally honest talk with him about the side effects it could cause, especially right now. Like a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), pneumonia. Either of which could land him on a ventilator. There are others related to the head injury. It took the fear of dying for my son to quit. I would talk to his doctor and see if he will BE brutally honest with him and lay all the worst case scenarios out for him. The nurses can call him for you from the nurses station so he knows (the doctor) ahead of time and your son doesn't know you were involved. I know it's a little underhanded but he Is a minor child and in my opinion if it works...whatever it takes. His attitude is the pot. They are often nasty because they don't give a damn about anything and while they are still using but don't have any, they are nasty then too. My son is a different person clean (a year now thank God).
I am so sorry for this set back but know that you both are in my heart and prayers.

allusedup

Iknow...I have been following this from the start but I read...there goes his job ( I dont know how to quote) and I was confused about what job...I wish I could give you the answer to 'fix 'everything but if I could none of us would be here. I just want you to know I care about you both and am keeping you in my prayers.

nlj

I was getting ready to go to the hodpital to see my son. They found him in a janitorial closet smoking weed.

I just dont even know what to say. He has to be some kind of special stupid.

Sorry Pas

I know it's not funny, not really. But something about your account of it made me laugh out loud. So I'd have to rate it as :D even though it's actually :mad:.

It's like being in some bonkers Monty Python sketch.

Maybe the credits will roll soon and we'll all get squashed by a giant foot descending from the sky and then that'll be the end of all our woes.

(apologies to those who have no idea what I'm rambling on about - it's a brit thing)

Last edited: