Pinched nerve...how long does healing take?

BusynMember

Must have happened during a workout and I can't work out much at all now. Doctor said it's in my lower back, but pain radiates all the way to my right heel...lol. I can't even walk slow for forty-five minutes without backlash now, and I'm used to a much brisker workout than that. I have to go to PT Wednesday, but I want to work out before then. Is swimming my only option? Don't like the water, especially when it's winter. Yes, the pool is indoors, but I'm coming in from the cold and don't feel like swimming. Anyone know how long it takes to heal? Any lay doctors here who maybe have had a pinched nerve and know the routine?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

InsaneCdn

You have to wait until Wed for PT??? or was that originally for something else?

Meanwhile, I'd be looking for a good RMT, podiatrist, chiro, accupuncturist or SOMETHING.

BusynMember

Yep. They're all filled up until Wed. But then I go three times a week. I don't know what a RMT is and I'm not sure a chrio could help me if it's a pinched nerve. I don't want it to feel artificially better and then work out on it and it gets worse, Know what I mean??

BusynMember

Thanks. Really, all I do is walk and slow at that right now, but my normal workout is much more vigorous.

I won't swim unless told I have to.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It depends on which nerve you pinched. A couple years ago I got my sciatic nerve pretty good (left lower back all the way down my leg). The pain and almost not being able to walk lasted about 4 days, heating pad on my desk chair and at home whenever I could for 2 weeks... And then random tingling for almost a year. Was completely fine while I was pregnant, then about 2 months ago the tingling came back, much milder and only when I sit a lot. Probably 4-10 min episodes in 2 months.

InsaneCdn

RMT = registered massage therapist.

And yes, for a pinched nerve... either from my own experience or from people I know well... some of us have had various pinched nerves released by RMT, Chiro and/or other alternative medicine approaches. Including one who spent the previous 30 years of his life making fun of alternative medicine - but standard medicine said he'd be down for 4 weeks, and alternative medicine had him active in 24 hours (not fully fixed, but active).

Last edited:

witzend

RMT = Heaven...

husband has a problem with his sciatic nerve. It's set off by the silliest things. Tying his shoe, sweeping, any twisting/bending can cause him to walk and stand like a "Z". He'll go white in the face with the pain. He has gotten relief from a chiropractor. When he gets a really bad one, he'll have to make more than one trip, so he has learned to listen to his body and get to the chiropractor before it gets bad instead of pushing it.

BusynMember

I'm kind of shy about alternative medicine because I've heard it can also make thngs worse. I'll think about a chiropractor. If my insurance doesn't cover it, however, it's a no-go. There is no way for me to afford that. I'm pretty sure a massage therapist wouldn't be covered, but it sounds heavenly just in case it is :) I'll check. Thanks!

witzend

I'm kind of shy about alternative medicine because I've heard it can also make thngs worse. I'll think about a chiropractor. If my insurance doesn't cover it, however, it's a no-go. There is no way for me to afford that. I'm pretty sure a massage therapist wouldn't be covered, but it sounds heavenly just in case it is :) I'll check. Thanks!

I do understand your apprehension about alternative medicines. I know that often when people talk about a bad/injured back they say that they tried a chiropractor "and it made it worse" and they'll never go again. I suspect that in some of those cases that there may have been further damage by chiropractors who weren't thorough in their pre-exam, and that others may just not have been helped and another physician bad-mouthed the Chiro. I'd never go to one that I wasn't comfortable with.

Insofar as insurance and LMT/RMT or Chiro's go, here is how it generally works: They won't cover it for a chronic condition. ie: I have chronic pain from Muscular Dystrophy and I have 20 LMT visits a year covered. I can't use it for my MD because my MD is not going to be cured by it. Same with Chiro. Now, if I injure my back and the doctor rx's LMT or Chiro to correct or repair an injury, they'll pay for that because it isn't eternal. You have injured your back, so these things are likely covered. In fact, you can ask your PT about massage therapy if you'd like. They generally go by what the Dr tells them, but a good one will community with the MD and they'll work it out.

InsaneCdn

Other than if you have broken bones... I've never heard of RMT making things worse. It either helps, or it doesn't. And for most of us, if it doesn't help what we came for, then it helps something else (like stress level in general).

TerryJ2

Ouch. I'm sorry!

I feel your pain ... particularly since I've had a pulled hamstring and sciatica for 3 yrs.

I agree about the chiro and massage therapist; do it right away. Interestingly, the massage therapist found the exact spot on my rear where I was convinced my piriformis syndrome was coming from, and when I showed my husband/chiro, he said, "That's not your piriformis, it's the origin of your hamstring." (IOW, where it attaches to the bone.)

You need to find out whether you pulled a muscle and caused the nerve to go wiggy, or whether you have an SI joint issue or something. It can make a huge difference in the type of therapy you get.

Also, I would ice for the few couple of weeks, and use heat later, when it's chronic. Not to scare you, just saying "if" it gets chronic.

I can't tell you how many times I asked husband "Is it okay if I do this/that/the other exercize?" and he said, "If it hurts, don't do it."
Grrr. I wanted to know BEFORE I hurt.

Good luck.

TerryJ2

Oh, by the way, the therapies we did were the same for piriformis syndrome and a pulled hamstring.

And eventually, you'll want to stretch your calf and hamstring, but don't do it if it's too painful right now. Go sloooowwwwwlly.

Umberlee168

Nerve pain is the absolute worst. I had sciatica when I was pregnant and it is the worst thing I have ever experienced. I remember working (I was a CNA when I had it worst) and I would be in the middle of giving a shower or something and all of a sudden it would be like someone STABBED me in the back of my leg. I would collapse screaming and then a minute or two later I'd be able to shake it off and get back to work. Ugh, so glad those days are over.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Acupuncture can work exceptionally well on sciatica or pinched nerves. I had one session when I had sciatica and it was gone within 2 days. Same with my mother (2 sessions) and quite a number of 'seniors' I've recommended to go to my acupuncturist over the years. I hope you feel better MWM.

TerryJ2

Yaaaay, MWM!!! I'm so glad you're better!
I just re-injured my hamstring and piriformis, walking with-a friend. Turns out she's a speed walker. Didn't know that until 3 miles into it. :(. I shouldn't be sitting right now. :(
So glad your workouts are going well. Bravo.