Pink Champagne

klmno

I need to get a couple of bottles of pink champagne for Christmas gifts. They don't need to be extra nice but I wouldn't want them to be cheapos, you know- anything that would make someone sick or nice taste decent. What kind of price range am I looking at and what would be decent brands?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Uh...pink?

I usually get a bottle of Asti. Price range of around $15-$25 is probably reasonable... But... I don't know about pink... I'll look when I am out tomorrow, see if I see anything reasonable.

klmno

I got myself a bottle at walmart last year- it was good! I don't know that it was 'fancy' enough to give as a gift though- I mean that particular brand and price range. It was on sale and I think I spent about 10 for it. LOL! I didn't care.

But to give as a gift, I don't want to embaress myself or the receiving party. The place where I work- well, I'll call him the owner's rep for lack of better term- he and his wife are giving an open house at their home next weekend, I think it is, and he doesn't drink because he's diabetic but apparently, she likes rose wines. I thought I'd get them pink champagne so she won't feel pressured to open it that day and can save it for new year's. It's not the same as a rose wine but they have grown kids so if she doesn't like it, they can crack it open at new years. That's my plan anyway- and I'm going to get him a gift certificate to the movie theater, for both he and his wife to go. He likes movies.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL... OK, I can understand. However, I'd go for "normal" champagne.

Rose wines are a strange animal, you have to be super careful... So I can see your point about the pink. We got some peach champagne last New Year's - quite good! Wal Mart again... LOL...

jal

klmno, I understand where you are coming from in terms of how you want them to utilize the gift...but please do not gift them pink champange. Probably sound like a snob, but great easy child brother was in the wine business & there's so much better inventory out there & at a decent price, especially if you want to make an impression. I applaud your movie gc idea too, as my dad is diabetic & cannot have alcohol, but loves a good movie!

klmno

OK- I'm seeing that pink champagne must be viewed as a less than desirable thing- far beknownst to me. LOL! I can drop it off the list and just stick with the GC to the movies. thank you all for letting me know!

LittleDudesMom

Sparkling burgundy would be another option - it's kinda old fashioned, but it's good and doesn't have the negative connotation that pink champagne does.

Sharon

klmno

That's a good idea, Sharon! So, is someone going to let me in on what exactly the negative connotation for pink champagne actually is??

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Errrm. Well, it's sort-of a cliche that "lower-income" people get it to celebrate (things like Junior made it through 4th grade at age 21, etc.)...

There's a similar connotation to MadDog 20/20, and Boone's Farm wine... But honestly, they're not bad... I just don't let anyone know I bought it. Ever. <giggle>

klmno

Uhmm...well it was fitting for me last new year's then. LOL! Now I can see the mad Dog and Booones Farm connotations and I knew about them- YUK! But I didn't know pink champagne fell into that category and don't quite get why this would have the same- but if it does, I sure wouldn't want to give it as a gift.

TerryJ2

Well, I was going to suggest Barefoot, especially because the bottle is so cute--black with pink, and donations to a breast cancer foundation--but I'll skip that.
Personally, I like Korbel brut. Not pink. But then, you don't have to get me a Christmas gift. ;)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Actually, I rather like some "cheap" wines - Alice White is pretty inexpensive, and darn good!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yup! It is an Aussie wine, very inexpensive. I like their Lexia, which is sweet, their Zinfandel, their Chardonnay, their Merlot and their Cabernet Sauvignon.

Before... I was strictly a Zinfandel person...

S

Signorina

I don't know about negative connotations... There are fine sparking roses out there...

I love Sofia Blanc de Blanc by the Coppola winery. It comes wrapped in pretty pink cellophane with a ribbon and is my "go to" hostess gift for ladies only parties. It's not sweet-very good and around $20 on sale.
It's also available in a 4 pack of silvery pink CANS with pink straws-adorable.