Pizza ideas? Got any?

klmno

Occasionally, one of the kids will add some pepperoni to part of the pie, but they are careful as they know the story of how I once threw an entire pizza into a wall because my then boyfriend (an uber-difficult child) ordered the pie with pepperoni even though he knows I hate that. I won't hesitate to throw it again if pep stuff gets on my slice.

Uhhhhh......and who did you say was the difficult child??? LOL!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I make Alfredo sauce from Greek yogurt, and use it instead of red sauce... broccoli and chicken with mozzarella and parmesan, sometimes romano. I use Italian spice on top of the cheese.

Or spinach and portabellas (which are nothing more than overgrown normal mushrooms according to the History Channel LOL).

I like "white pizza" better. Of course, that could be because it doesn't require Tums or Rolaids afterward... (cooked tomatoes and my tummy don't get along!)

You could use zucchini or asparagus too, now that I think about it...

SRL

Hawaiian pizza is our favorite when we go out to eat or carry out, but I never seem to get it as good at home. It's usually made with Canadian bacon and pineapple here.

I usually make a big pizze one the weekend, plus extra crust for breadsticks. My usual pizza is Nick Stellino's Sicilian style crust (linked below). On half I put on mild Italian sausage and on the other half I do yellow pepper, sweet onion and black olives. I usually have enough veggie left over for me for breakfast or lunch the next day.

When I'm in the mood for something more "grown up", I make this Palermo Pizza recipe with carmelized onions. The recipe calls for marsala or port but I prefer white wine with a pinch of sugar tossed in if it's dry.

I didn't see his recipe for Italian Bread Crumbs so here it is. The store bought ones aren't at all the same. I usually used dried herbs as that's what I have on hand most of the time.

1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, or 1 tsp dried
1 T finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 T freshley grated romano or parmesan cheese.

In a nonstick saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat for one minute. Add the bread crums and cook, stirring until brown, about 2 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl and add the remainint ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container. Can be frozen for up to 2 months.

Jena

I made pizza one nite and cut up zucchini and used sun dried tomatoes and red peppers. it was sooo good. i just put alot of cheese to hide the healthy junk and some of the kids ate it. lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Freschetta - I'm sorry - we're so over this - and Df makes a wonderful hand tossed pizza - but he goes overboard on ingredients and the calories have GOT to be near 1000 a slice by the time he's done. So we did Dijorno, until we tried Freschetta plain cheese and now we're happpy with that. Plain, old, boring and no where near decent Italian cuisine - but for $6.00 what do you want?