Plane crash lands in Hudson River out of La Guardia!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I hope everyone is o.k. and that none of us has any friends or family on that flight. I believe it was a US Airways Airbus en route to Charlotte.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Hadn't seen this. So scary and sad. They fly out of our airport, too.

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned a plane has crashed into the Hudson River.
The plane is a US Airways flight 1549 from LaGuardia to Charlotte. There were 146 passengers on board the flight, along with 5 crew members. There is no report on their conditions.
The plane went down near 57th street. The plane took off from LaGuardia at 3:11 p.m.
Ferries are rescuing passengers, some who are seen standing on the wings of the plane.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It happened about an hour ago. They think the plane hit a flock of geese. No word on how many passengers have been rescued. The fusilage is submerged now and the water in that area is deep. :praying:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh how scary. I to hope everyone is OK, though I haven't read any of the details yet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh my! I knew there was a reason I don't like geese! I hope they can get everyone rescued. Saying prayers and crossing body parts. And going to see if I can find this on the news somewhere.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
They think they got everyone out. One of the passengers said they got the emergency doors open and the inflatable chutes/rafts out within one minute of landing. Sounds like the crew handled things beautifully.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Scary. My middle sister was flying from Dallas through Charlotte to Pittsburgh at this very time. Whew. Hope they all made it out in good shape.

Lothlorien

all okay here, as far as I know. I'm going to go turn the tv on in a minute and watch the news.

Fran, I hope sis didn't get delayed with all of that.

Last edited:

Jena

everyones' safe everyones out. no deaths. it's amazing actually. response here in new york was great. i guess we or they have had alot of experience in emergencies.

Nancy

I had to call husband to make sure he was in town. My sister called to see if he was flying today and I wasn't sure. He was in NYC earlier this week and I have to admit I had a few anxious moments until I reached him.

I was glad to see everyone was OK. Although my sister and I said that if my easy child had been on that plane she would have been hysterical and they would have reported that all the passengers were calm except for one, that would have been her. She has severe flight anxiety.

I am so impressed by the pilot quick actions and whoever got that door opened so quickly.

Nancy

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Way To Go, pilots! Great landing in bad circumstances.

And I had a wonderful moment with-my difficult child. We were watching CNN, and reporters were interviewing one of the survivors. He was not wearing a coat, was visibly shivering, and was doing his best, when someone asked his name, and he got flustered and turned away. difficult child actually empathized and said, "They are so rude, shoving microphones in his face and asking him all those questions. He just had a plane crash!"
Way To Go, empathetic difficult child!!!!! Woo hoo!

Marguerite

It was all over our news here in Australia, too. In fact, it was the top story all day, it even bumped the story about the first Australian VC being awarded, ever, the first VC to an Aussie in 30 years.

Back to the plane - that captain was absolutely brilliant, I hope he gets a medal. The cabin crew as well, keeping everybody calm, making sure the evac was orderly and not panicked.

Mind you, once we all knew everyone was OK, it was the talk of the town. Donw at the pharmacy today, there were puns flying thick and fast; puns about diced goose, pate de foie gras, and even a quote from a Scandinavian folk tale, "Captain - your goose is cooked!"

It could have been so nasty. By the time our evening news came on, Australian airlines had already loaded this scenario into the flight simulators, to see how the captain in this case had managed it. The general comments were, "How he brought it down on water ANYWHERE without the plane cartwheeling, is a miracle. But to do it in a crowded metropolis, let alone New York, and in water that is dangerously cold - the guy's a genius!"

By tomorrow we'll be getting the technical boys with their take on it all.

And difficult child 3's response - "will they be able to fix up the plane?"

We told him, "Unlikely. Not after that take it apart, trying to find samples of fried goose." But we didn't say too much because then he would have been upset about the geese getting killed.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's been such a dismal year in the news. Now we have a story that gives us a smile. Things can come out well.
My sister was unaware fortunately. No delays.
Nancy glad your husband was out of harm's way. Your easy child and mine would both be in a state. Pretty funny.(not really but you know what I mean).

I love when things work. All the simulation practice and experience came together and the procedure for safety worked. There are a lot of heroes and stand up people who worked together. The tug boat captains and the circle line boats, helicopters and divers were in that frigid weather.
Makes me grateful for all those safety drills we all have to practice and complain about. Sometimes things work. :beautifulthing:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The ferry captains also did a great job helping to transport the victims. This morning on the radio they're saying that all the passengers now believe in ferries! (snarf!) :rofl:

TerryJ2

Aw, they believe in ferries! I like that.

Love the pate de foie gras, Marg! I haven't heard any jokes yet. I think we're still recovering, emotionally. Maybe tomorrow ...