Plans for New Years Eve?

New Leaf

Hi Everyone, What are you all up to for the New Year celebration?
Any plans?
I will be going to a friends for a potluck barbecue. They live on a mountainside, so we will have a view of fireworks from their balcony.
Hope everyone has a wonderful time.
New Year, new day, new beginnings......

(((HUGS)))
leafy

New Leaf

Meh, witzend, not boring, smart....that is what I would normally do, but I have this need to get out of my recent hermit mode.....so to the barbecue I go. ;)

Have a relaxing New Year!
leafy

New Leaf

No not boring, smart, I will come home early, same here, do not want to be out there driving!
Hawaii has put a clamp down on drunk driving, road blocks everywhere. But there are still horror stories......

In the old days, there was so much celebration, fireworks are big, big over here. At midnight, the sound used to be deafening, the air, full of smoke and that smell. It got so bad that the city and state created strict permitting.
Lots of people still get illegal fireworks, aerials and such. It can get crazy.

Okay, maybe I will have to stay in........shudder

Ouch!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We were invited to go to an overnight thing at a hotel with some good friends but are going to stay home with the kids and eat our usual pizza and watch the Twilight Zone marathon like we do every year. It may sound boring but we love it!

KTMom91

Hubby and I will celebrate at home. Don't know what's on the menu yet. At midnight, we watch the ball drop, then open the front door to let the New Year in.

When Miss KT was little, I would give her a pan and a wooden spoon, and she ran around the front yard screaming "Happy New Year!" and pounding on the pan with her spoon.

New Leaf

I have never heard of opening the front door to let the New Year in, how clever and symbolic. KT, if you don't mind my asking, where does this originate from?

PatriotsGirl

I love that idea, too! Only hubs and I barely make it awake to midnight anymore...lol. We stay home and do nothing. We are not drinkers and we definitely don't like being out with potential drunk drivers so we will stay home and possibly rent some movies. :)

InsaneCdn

At midnight, we watch the ball drop, then open the front door to let the New Year in.
It might be from more than one culture... but the neighborhood I grew up in had a strong Celtic presence, and it became tradition that at midnight New Year's Eve, the Dad of each home would open the front door and yell "Happy New Year"... and from inside the house, we heard all the other Dads doing the same thing. It pretty much echoed through the neighborhood.

KTMom91

Leafy, I believe it's an English tradition. I read about it years ago in one of the Anne of Green Gables books. 2015 was not an awful year, but it wasn't one of the best, either. I'll be glad to let 2016 in.

New Leaf

I will either stay home to comfort my dog through the fireworks or we will both go to my daughter's.
We have had a few fireworks go off already and my dogs get crazy nervous and start barking.
I might have to stay home after all, hubs doesn't want to budge from his hermit status.....Have a great New Years Pas.
We stay home and do nothing. We are not drinkers and we definitely don't like being out with potential drunk drivers so we will stay home and possibly rent some movies.
Yup, the driving is the scary part. Enjoy the peace at home PG. Happy New Year to you and yours. 2015 has ended so well with your daughter and grand.

It might be from more than one culture... but the neighborhood I grew up in had a strong Celtic presence, and it became tradition that at midnight New Year's Eve, the Dad of each home would open the front door and yell "Happy New Year"... and from inside the house, we heard all the other Dads doing the same thing. It pretty much echoed through the neighborhood.
What a nice memory, IC. It is interesting, the tradition of different cultures. Looking forward to a better 2016. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Leafy, I believe it's an English tradition. I read about it years ago in one of the Anne of Green Gables books. 2015 was not an awful year, but it wasn't one of the best, either. I'll be glad to let 2016 in.
I will be glad to see in 2016 as well. It's nice to have a tradition to make your own like opening the door to let the New Year in. I loved the old series Anne of Green Gables. Thank you KT. Have a great time with the home fires burning with your hubby! Have a Happy New Year!

leafy

cubsgirl

About 50% of the time we make it to midnight, otherwise we just go to bed. We don't go out because husband and I are not into crowds and we would rather stay home and watch Netflix. I'm looking forward to 2016.

New Leaf

About 50% of the time we make it to midnight, otherwise we just go to bed. We don't go out because husband and I are not into crowds and we would rather stay home and watch Netflix. I'm looking forward to 2016.
Not into crowds either, we usually stay home too, but got invited to a bbq. However, I just found out they are going to play poker, not my thing so now what?
Looking forward to 2016, anything would be an improvement from 2015! Happy New Year CG!

Nomad

Staff member
So far, black eyed peas and a small glass of wine with hubby.
Will make a resolution (goal) list on the first.
I do like this time of year. :)
Happy New Year!

What great words rhyme with 16? Anything?

New Leaf

So far, black eyed peas and a small glass of wine with hubby.
Will make a resolution (goal) list on the first.
I do like this time of year. :)
Happy New Year!

What great words rhyme with 16? Anything?
Black eyed peas and wine, I like the simplicity of this.....
Happy New Year Nomad.

Foreseen
convene
beauty queen
sea green
Sunset's sheen
pleasant dream