Planting trees in honor....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My niece k & my difficult child kt mowed the lawn this morning & have helped me with some weeding. Now we're about to head out to the nursery to get 3 lilac bushes to plant...

In honor of my husband, in honor of my mom & in honor of k's dad (my ex-brother in law) who died 2 weeks after husband. We're all kind of weepy this weekend & I'm pushing the girls to do something that will bring life back to this old yard.

My mom painted bird baths & the top part broke. My dad is creating a new dish & will bring it up & glue it to my birdbath so I can place it in front of the bush honoring Mom.

I just feel the need to do something that is about life & gives the 3 of us something to gaze upon with a smile not a tear.

skeeter

My dad always hated funerals. He would make the comment "If you want to plant something in the ground when I die, plant a tree".

He donated his body to the local medical center, so that's exactly what we did. It's now a beautiful 20+ year old oak tree.

tiredmommy

Linda- I just passed the 4 year anniversary of my father's death. We planted a lilac bush in the yard for him too... it's in full bloom right now.

You'll appreciate those bushes so much in the years to come. {{{Hugs}}}

Lothlorien

Lilac bushes are so pretty. What a nice way of remembering them. Every year when they bloom and fill your yard with the scent, you'll think of them at that day you planted them with k and kt.

Penta

Perfect! Long ago, I donated a bench in my daughter's memory to the lovely Audubon Park in New Orleans in a spot under the pine trees beside a lagoon where my daughter loved to study. Your lilac bushes will always remind you of your love for your family members.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
We chose the Mt. Baker white lilac bushes - they're gorgeous & will be huge when full grown. I'm planting them today (we got a late start yesterday) in the areas I lost trees when my old oak fell during a storm a couple of years back.

I will have a lilac fence of privacy in my front yard.

Thank you ladies ~ I like the idea of planting a tree for my husband. It was just for me; but I included the girls because they were so blue yesterday. And then I threw one in for my mom ~ if it weren't for her I would never have been able to handle the tweedles & all their antics.

I'm out to play in my yard a bit again today (as much as I can with my walker); I cleaned & filled my bird feeders & I have my cardinals back. k, kt & I sat around the firepit last night & made s'mores & joked around. Life is returning for the 3 of us.