Platform Bed Base...anyone?

DDD

husband and I have a king box spring/mattress set that is supported by a plain metal frame. As of now we have carpeting on the floor and I'm convinced that I am getting sick because of the combo of hard to clean carpet and the dog sharing our room. Getting laminate on the floor is on my agenda but the dust and dog hair will still be there.

Does anyone have a solid base with both box springs and mattress. When I look up platform beds it seems most are just supporting a mattress. I'm not the sharpest pin in the pack when it comes to interior decorating. :redface: Is there a reason (like weight ?) that the box springs don't seem to be compatible?

Yep, I'm at work and letting my mind travel away from the store. ;) DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL the only reason for no box springs is that with a platform/solid base, the box spring isn't necessary. The box spring exists only to support the mattress. Sure, it is "springy" and has some give... But it's not really necessary.

The bed in my "study" has a plywood board between the mattress and the frame. No box spring. Love it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Our camper has a platform base with both the box springs and mattress on it. I'm sure there is a "weight factor" in the layout of an RV, but the mattress and box springs are standard household type items. The platform base has drawers in it.

Seems to be just fine.

KTMom91

Miss KT built a box out of 2x4's to hold her mattress and box springs. It's held up just fine for over a year. I was concerned, you know, difficult child construction skills...

klmno

Along the lines of what Step said, used to true box springs (with coils in them) were common. Now we have these thicker mattresses that comes in all forms and it is rare to find an old fashioned (true) box spring for a typical household bed. If you want to keep and use what you have over a huilt platform, nothing is lost or gained. If you don't, nothing is lost or gained- unless of course you do have a true box spring, then you might find it more comfortable. You can tell by looking at the underside and seeing if there truly are coils or just a frame built of wood and covered up.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My brother in law gave us a platform bed with a tempurpedic mattress, it is very, very nice! It is for the guest room.
But saying that we had our old queen box spring and top mattress on it and it was fine also. Just taller.

For most true platform beds, you would purchase a top mattress that does not require a boxspring. I don't know if they "say" you "can't" have one due to weight limit or some other reason?

They don't take up as much space height wise when used as just a top mattress. Our head board isn't shorter on ours so with both mattresses it doesn't take up the whole thing.

scent of cedar

Hi, DDD

And if you are thinking of a platform bed, we saw one where they carved the bottom and had a night light under the bed to shine through the carved spaces. It was beautiful!

Barbara

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ikea is a good idea, but watch quality on their stuff.

Actually, the metal bed frame is sort of a north American thing: European mattresses are supported by either a platform, or a wooden frame with lathes (strips of wood) to take the weight of the mattress. You won't see a "box spring" on a bed made for the European market.

maxeygirls

Have you seen how tall a king sized bed and boxspring is with a 'decorative' frame? I'm 5'9" and I thought I needed a ladder! It did stop difficult child from climbing into bed at 2am though. As far as allergy concerns go, think about this: A platform bed eliminates one more allergy catcher. It can rest directly on the floor and leave no space for dander/hair/mites/yucks to get under or it can be high enough to clean underneath.
I am very allergic to cats...thus I have four. The other day I decided to test my house to see where my hidden triggers were. I used a tape with the most opposite color from my cats (they're black, tape was white), and stuck the tape everywhere. The top 3 places actually surprised me. I know I have a cat allergy so I clean pretty well a few times a week to minimize the effect.
In order the three places with the most hair/dander were: Box springs on my bed, bath mats, aaaand the inside of my canvas laundry hamper. Kinda strange if you ask me. It did make me decide that the boxsprings have to go and the bath mats need to be cleaned more often.
I'm sure my comforter should have had tons of hair on it but I washed it last week and supplied difficult child with a spray bottle filled with water and instructed her to shoot anything with fur that touches it. No more kitties on the bed! Yay difficult child!
PS When you give a difficult child a job like that, be sure not to leave electronics on the bed and also instruct difficult child not to place anything other than water in the spray bottle. Our comforter has now been washed twice in a week... still kitty free.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL maxey the inside of your hamper does not surprise me... because of the cat hair that gets on your clothing!

I am also allergic to cats, but as I have been around them my whole life it is an immunity thing. I was in training for 2 weeks in Difficult Child and when I came back I thought I was going to die. Eyes swelled shut, nose, hives. Lasted 4 days. Horrible.

Also allergic to dog slobber - but not my own dog for some reason. Weird, but again probably immunity...

Mattsmom277

I had a platform bed for myself and so did difficult child, once upon a time. I actually miss mine very much. Ours were very nice looking and they were made lower to the ground to accomodate a box spring and a mattress. I loved no dust bunnies lurking under the bed!

DDD

I'm convinced. That is on my list of things I need to get this year. Thanks for all the input. DDD