Please cross your fingers ~ Updated

Kathy813

Staff member
After difficult child's latest go round with strep throat and no medical insurance, she told husband that she knew she had to do something about it.

So she says she has an appointment today with the local technical college which she could attend free on the GA Hope grant. As a full time student, she would get back on our health insurance plan.

She also told husband it would give her something "constructive" to do with her time.

Of course, we have heard all of this before so please keep your fingers crossed that she follows through.

~Kathy

ScentofCedar

Good for difficult child!

However she justifies doing the right thing ~ at least, she is finally doing the right thing.

Or at least, moving in the right direction. :smile:

Barbara

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Kathy, do you know what classes she wants to take? Do you think it's a good enough match that she might stick with it?

I'm crossing my fingers, too.

Suz

Kathy813

Staff member
Wow, you guys are powerful. Your good vibes must have worked!

She actually went to the appointment and talked with the counselor. The counselor gave her a print out of the diploma options and set up an appointment for her with the financial aid people next week so she can apply for the Hope grant.

Even better, they talked about how some of the classes she will have to take will transfer to a degree program eventually and that she can use them to pull up her GPA.

So keep those fingers and toes crossed that she is getting her act together.

Suz ~ She says she isn't really interested in the diploma programs but plans to use it as a means to an end (health insurance and raise her GPA so she can transfer to a degree program). That worries me because if she isn't interested in what she is doing, I'm afraid she will drop out.

I'm hoping that she likes whatever program she picks after she starts. I keep pointing out that it could lead to a marketable skill. :smile:

~Kathy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
[ QUOTE ]
That worries me because if she isn't interested in what she is doing, I'm afraid she will drop out.

[/ QUOTE ]

With her history of quitting classes/jobs etc. your concern is certainly warranted, Kathy.

Does this counselor have access to those career computer programs where you can test interests with different careers? Taking one of those might be very helpful for your difficult child.

Suz

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
:bravo: [ QUOTE ]
She actually went to the appointment and talked with the counselor.

[/ QUOTE ] :bravo:

That's great! As for the rest....Baby Steps!! :warrior:

Peace

kris

<font color="brown">hopefully she will take this opportunity & put it to good use.

double check with-your insurance company about being allowed to put her back on your plan. not every plan will allow that. once they drop out they're not eligible anymore.

kris </font>

Kathy813

Staff member
Sunny ~ What makes it really impressive is that she did this all on her own without any prompting or pushing from us. In fact, she had already made the appointment before she even told us about it.

kris ~ Thanks for the heads up. I know that we were able to add her back once before but that was when we had insurance through my school district. We are on husband's policy now so I had better check on that.

~Kathy

KFld

Kathy that is great news. I think all of our difficult child's are capable of making good choices and turning their lives around, it's just all up to when and if they are ready to do it. I'm keeping her in my prayers that this is the beginning of some huge changes for her.

witzend

Well, it's a start, I guess. Hopefully she will begin to see further into the future than having health insurance the next time she has a case of strep throat. Fingers crossed!