Please Help I Feel Like I'm Going To Crack!!!

stressedmunmy

I dont know if its in the right chat room but I really need some help.

I have 4 very beautiful children aged 13, 7, 3 and 20 months.

My 3 year old is my issue shes actually nearly 4 (march), my problem is her sleeping she has never slept through the night and wont go to sleep on her own and some nights your sat up there for an hour waiting for her to sleep, if you leave her she will just scream so cant do this as my younger child goes to bed earlier and she has to share with 7 year old who needs to be up for school, we have been to GP to ask for help and I basically got shown the door and told to try this that and the other all of which we have done, me and my husband are starting to suffer as we havent shared a bed for so long because my daughter is always ending up in the bed and if you put her back to her bed she will just scream, I am getting close to just snapping also spending an hr getting her to sleep my elder ones are getting no time with me, my husband works long hrs so it is mainly me, I am going back to see HV and GP tomorrow as I have been told about Phenergan but need to get dosage from a Dr really, I am determined to make them listen to me as we cant go on like this much longer.

She is quite hyper from the minute she wakes to the minute she closes her eyes, she has big red bags under her eyes from lack of sleep.

Any advice appreciated hopefully someone can advise something we havent already tried.

Thanks in advanced from a stressed and tired mummy x

InsaneCdn

Hi, and welcome.

Can you tell us more about your daughter?
What was she like as a baby and toddler?
How is her behavior other than sleep?

buddy

Hi, That sounds miserable. You say she is hyper during the day. How is her play. Can she play with kids her age? Does she make up her own play or copy things she sees and hears? How is her speech and language?
Does she like to be touched? Is she sensitive to sounds or lights? What was her birth history like?

I know there are parents here who deal with food /chemical issues with their kids. Is she sensitive to certain foods? Caffeine? Dyes? Milk? Wheat? Sugar?

I used to need to have my son sit facing me and I sat on a large ball and bounced him to sleep. That morphed over the years to finally just tickling his feet till he relaxed and slept. We had a strict routine by the way....bath books then bounce or later bed/"tickles". The room had a very soft classical lullaby cd on repeat. We never varied. Luckily he was a good sleeper once out.

I don't have other kids but just thought I'd share in case any part might help. Many people use the natural sleep supplements but they made my son do the opposite.

Hope your doctor listens and can offer help but I'd expect they might not. If you're concerned about other areas as well including the hyperactivity (which can be from an issue itself like adhd or can be a symptom of many things like allergies or dietary reactions, sensory integration disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder or mental health conditions ....or???? So, some kind of developmental evaluation that looks at all early childhood areas including gross motor, fine motor, communication, play/social, cognitive development and sensory integration could be an option. Many kids on this site are hard wired differently and need different parenting methods from other typically developing children. She may just be in a phase and a challenge with sleep or she may have more going on

Welcome and hugs of sympathy!

dstc_99

Phenergan is for nausea and has a side effect of drowsiness. It is highly unlikely a doctor would prescribe it for her. Have you tried melatonin or benadryl?

aeroeng

Mom of Three
My son's problems were completely different, but I found the book, "Solve your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr. Richard Ferber to be very helpful. He does cover the difference between a medical issue, and behavior patterns. And can provide ideas on what to do.

julierose24

Hi! My daughter also has sleep issues. She is 6 now, but since the age of 3 -we have had sleep issues. We have a deal with her. She has to start out in her own bed, but if/when she wakes up in the middle of the night, she can sleep in our room (not in our bed, but on our floor). We have a sleeping bag under the bed. When she wakes in the night, she can come pull it out and sleep on it. But the rule is, she cannot wake us up. If she does, she has to go back to her room.

This way, my husband and I have some time alone every evening starting at 8 oclock. Even if she isn't asleep at 8, she just lays in her bed. She comes into our room EVERY night. I don't care if she is there until she's 30 if it helps her sleep -because when she doesn't sleep, her behavior is HORRIBLE. sleep is important. trust me.

busywend

That does sound miserable! I would be begging for some help! Wonder if you have tried Melatonin, too. Or even Benadryl? Hey....if it is my sleep that is messed with I am willing to give cold medicine even if there is not cold. I am miserable if I do not get enough sleep!

stressedmunmy

Thanks for all replies, her play is pretty normal, she can play with kids same age and different age, she has no known allergies, she was born by c-section same as all of them, she has never really slept to be honest.

Dr refused ANY kind of help so I've gone back to super nanny style put her to bed wrap her up give her a kiss and leave the room the first night she took an hr she was quiet crying and screaming, but slept till 6:) and last night she fell asleep within 10 minutes and slept till 6.45 this morning we was so pleased she's had lots of praise so I'm keeping my hopes up :))))