keista

No analogy needed... you're preaching to the choir!

In terms of developmental issues, iIt's the ADHD +++ kids, and the missed-diagnosis Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Aspie kids who frequently end up with late dxes... either the first diagnosis (adhd) was correct but incomplete, OR the first diagnosis was incorrect due to being part of something bigger. And there-in lies the difficulty. Because... what WAS seen? is definitely ADHD.

UNLESS... the poor kid isn't ADHD at all, but instead is "just" Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). Which isn't even a developmental problem!

GAAAHHHH!
LMAO! YES!

So to get back to OP and the whole reason Insane and I got so off topic, is that although the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) has worked with many Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids, she hasn't worked with ALL of them. There may be flavors and styles she has not experienced or experienced them but at the time she experienced them, they had a completely different diagnosis so she DOES NOT KNOW that she actually did see Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) because it was being called something else.

in my opinion it's a lot more reliable and beneficial to listen to the ppl who say maybe this, maybe that, than to listen to ppl who say Oh definitely NOT that. I'm personally guilty of doing that. I was ADAMANT that I was more Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) than DD1 was. Even had a psychologist "rule it out". Yeah, um, er, well, guess what? She's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). she has mood disorders as well, but is also and Aspie.

AND if you've "ruled something out" and a few years down the road, you still haven't gotten to what you feel are good dxes? Don't hesitate to revisit. Ultimately the goal is to get our kids the best possible help we can get them. I've told teachers and service providers that they can say DD1 is a purple people eater, as long as she gets the treatment and accommodations she needs.

Malika

This reminds me of "false syllogisms" - an incorrect conclusion drawn from two premises - from the year of philosophy I did at university.
1. Some people with autism are incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD at an early age.
2. The poster has been told that her son, at an early age, is probably ADHD and is not autistic.
3. The poster's son is autistic.
Reading the poster's original post, if she has been told her son is not autistic I don't think we can really draw the inference from that that this is necessarily an incorrect diagnosis! It may be incorrect or it may not. I don't think we are in a position, in a virtual forum and not even having seen the child concerned, to give diagnoses ourselves, however tempting and inevitable it perhaps is to see our own child's issues manifested everywhere...

Last edited:

BusynMember

Its fuzzy for lots of reasons - not just mis-dxes. For example, a very high functioning Asperger's kid may have LESS "issues" than a kid who has ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), LDs and a few other things tossed in for good measure. But... this second kid is NOT a missed-diagnosis of Aspergers or Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Its just a really complex kid. How do I know? Because that is MY kid. Absolutely NOT Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or Aspergers. Even the "clinically significant findings" in that area have been shot down... caused by accumulated deficits from other non-diagnosed things.

Everybody wants to look at things as a single line, with a whole continuation of severity. It isn't even a circle... it's a globe. There are so many combinations and permutations that... experts miss half of it, for a minimum.

IC, you are right! Most kids have more than one thing going on. However, to get help, you need to focus in on the things that WILL get help. I don't think people in the US, especially educators, ever heard of Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). In that case, it is not listed as a disorder that needs help, even if the child has it. Best to explain the symptoms under the umbrella of another syndrome that HAS to be accomodated. To me, the label doesn't matter as much as the help the child gets and I've learened that, at least in the US, some labels get your help (and you can throw the other thngs in as part of the disorder) and some do not. So it's always good to start with a neuropsychologist. They know the politics of getting educational help in the US. Honestly, in Wisconsin I talked to the Dept. of Public Ed (the head honchos) and they listed a group of disorders that MUST be accomodated. When I told them my daughter had ADD and a poor short term memory they smugly told me that ADD/ADHD does not necessarily get accomodations. Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)...they probably would have said they never heard of it. And, God's word, if they never heard of it, it isn't a disorder! Most of us don't have the time or energy to try to educate the educators...the k ids need help NOW. And they follow their marching orders!

I also know that here Speech Therapists and Occupational Therapists are not allowed to diagnose. In fact, I believe only psychiatrists and neuropsychs and possible PhD psychologists can give a LEGAL diagnosis that a parent can use. A social work can't. A teacher can't. A counselor can't. I mean, they can put in their .02, but again it does not stick. This was also the case when I applied to SSDI (Disability). I had diagnosis., but they forced me to go to a neuropsychologist of their choosing to make sure that the RIGHT professioinal agreed with the other ones.

I am thinking of becoming a PEER in our state, which is an advocate, and so I'm learning a lot of the rules (astonishing ones) from the woman who was our advocate. I'm almost afraid to find out more!

I think things are done differently here than in Canada. In Canada an Occupational Therapist (OT) or ST may well be able to legally diagnose.

keista

This reminds me of "false syllogisms" - an incorrect conclusion drawn from two premises - from the year of philosophy I did at university.
1. Some people with autism are incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD at an early age.
2. The poster has been told that her son, at an early age, is probably ADHD and is not autistic.
3. The poster's son is autistic.
Reading the poster's original post, if she has been told her son is not autistic I don't think we can really draw the inference from that that this is necessarily an incorrect diagnosis! It may be incorrect or it may not. I don't think we are in a position, in a virtual forum and not even having seen the child concerned, to give diagnoses ourselves, however tempting and inevitable it perhaps is to see our own child's issues manifested everywhere...
Malika, no one is coming to that conclusion. However it seems the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) used that exact logic to say this child was NOT autistic.

This mom came looking for help and ideas. She described behaviors/symptoms and we are offering our ideas of which directions to look in for treatment. Our ideas and assistance come from OUR PERSONAL experiences and observations. No one is dxing, and no one is saying that for sure this child is/has anything specific, we're just trying to point this mom in a reasonable direction.

You, have received 3 different 'dxes' from professionals. You can chose any one of them to label your son. From that point on you can tell ppl that J is 'XYZ' (to make the point, lets say you choose to say he's "suffering the effects of divorce".) After observing J ppl will come to believe that "suffering the effects of divorce" doesn't only look like what they have previously experienced, but also like J. Years from now, you may get more assessments and lets say he's determined to be "normal" Are you going to go back and tell EVERY professional that was in J's life that you discovered his "true issues"? NO. You will continue on in your life knowing that he is "normal", however, those professionals will still have as their experience that J is "suffering the effects of divorce". In their minds and experience, J's behavior is not considered "normal". there may even be some who will suffer from even faultier logic like DaisyFace's potential new therapist. They may assume that any time the meet a child just like J, that child MUST come from a divorced family, and may assume that the parents are lying if they do not reoport any divorce. This logic goes to the beyond faulty, and I am simplifying because it doesn't happen with just once child but when many children are repeatedly mis-diagnosed, it becomes the new line of thinking.

Professionals, even the doctors do not get the benefit of tracking children throughout their lives. Most only see portions of a child's life. Son has already had 3 psychiatrists and DD1 has had 4. Parents, on the other hand See a child throughout their life. They see how symptoms change/increase/decrease with age, maturity and interventions. They see/experience their child (and friends' children) from point A to point B. They spend years getting evaluations until the get to a place where it all makes sense (hopefully they get there). Once All those dxes are in place, a parent goes back on their memory bank and sees how and where everything was missed. SO, when they see that same EXACT symptom/behavior in another child and the parent is struggling finding the right diagnosis, guess what the logical conclusion is? YUP! MY kid did the SAME. EXACT. THING. Took me years to get the right diagnosis. You might want to look into X, Y and Z.

buddy

I also know that here Speech Therapists and Occupational Therapists are not allowed to diagnose

In the schools no one is allowed to diagnose from that setting (if the same person works both a school and medical setting they can in the medical setting). In a medical clinic the Occupational Therapist (OT), PT and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) are absolutely able to diagnose the types of disorders that fall under their specialties, based on legal assessment protocol, you have to put your diagnosis code in a little box for insurance to pay....If you are licensed in that area you can diagnose in that area. But if working in a school setting no one, not even the psychologist is allowed to give a medical diagnosis. However, they are all allowed to give an educational label. In the end they decide as a team (and if it is a team of just Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), gen ed teacher and admin/school dist. rep then it is just that one person giving the label...like in the case of articulation disorder or a voice or fluency disorder....then it is just those people with the parents).

The problem here is an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) only has a piece of the puzzle, a full assessment has to be done to say yes or no to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)., adhd, bipolar, or any of the other umbrella types of diagnoses. She could absolutely have diagnosed a receptive or expressive language delay/disorder, a speech disorder of some kind, or a pragmatic language disorder of some kind (which people do have without having Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) by the way-either alone or with a different diagnosis like fragile X or many other neuro. or genetic issues). The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) may be perfectly right but she simply should have worded it differently, for example, in my experience and in this setting she does not show many symptoms of autism, adhd, whatever the question at hand is...., and she should have encouraged continued monitoring of any symptoms and to get a comprehensive evaluation.....being happy to share her evaluation, data and impressions.

I worked in a school one time (I think I have said this before so sorry) where after delivering the findings by our team that a child qualified under Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in an early childhood program, the parent asked if they should go see the doctor. The psychologist to my horror said no, there is no need, there is no cure for autism, no medical treatment etc. I was very new to the team and sat there biting my lip (this was also the psychiatric that insisted one of my artic. kids did not have Aspergers and a week later he had the diagnosis from the medical community because I told the mom in private to go get it evaluated...so she was not a fan of mine). This chick had a lot of power so I stayed quiet but later talked to our director and asked about how we as a team could take that kind of risk? Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptoms can be caused by other things...for my son we dont know how much genetics versus the brain mass caused the injuries. If the school program had not helped the foster mom get a new neuro and get further medical testing, Q woudl be dead. Yes, he had the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis but there was a medical condition going on. There are genetic diseases that cause Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptoms. There are metabolic issues that cause Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptoms, many many other things...always good to get checked. Having worked in a school setting for most of my career, I think it is important to follow the guidelines of the area you are working in, regardless if you would have different ability in another setting and no matter the issue with a child it is always important to have them physically checked out! Some parents are so vulnerable and desperately want nothing more to be wrong. So here you are looking like an expert and you say something like, no way they have X or Y or Z and years later the person finds out that indeed there was that problem, I just think it is too big of a risk to take. Anyway, just my opinion that the problem here is not that this child likely does have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), just that we always have to be open to continued evaluating and monitoring and options. Given that the picture changes across settings, time, mood states, social states, no one period of time can give the full picture. So, not saying that the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is wrong, we just dont know that for sure and it was not her place to say that for adhd OR Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). OR anything that falls under an umbrella diagnosis.

helpangel

Sh4nnon - I hope you are still with us and my hat off to you - for a newbie to put that much into introduction post to open that can of worms - wow you're good! I hope you found something useful in there somewhere & your 5yo didn't burn the house down while you were at the computer looking for that info.

To the rest of this forum (myself included) we machine gunned a new mom with so much info - I just can't find any more posts from her (a little worried we scared her off). While what I'm thinking of as "the alphabet soup thread within a thread" was very educational for me ; I think it was a little bit much for a new parent to process.

I'm not scolding just pointing out to the warrior mom's that the new mom's are sometimes a little fragile when they first get here.

BusynMember

In Wisconsin (all states are different) if a ST says a child has autism it will not hold up. It has to be somebody beyond that. Same with an Occupational Therapist (OT). At least, not where I've had my kids in schools. And not according to the Dept. of Public Education. I think you need to learn the rules of your state.

I see cultural differences here more than state differences. In the US, we do it differently than in Canada and France and our kids also can get a lot of help at school (if we play our cards right...so that's what we have to do). Any child with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) will get an IEP and lots of help. Without the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) diagnosis, however, I am not convinced Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) or Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) or ABC would be accommodated.

It seems as though in both Canada and France there isn't Occupational Therapist (OT) and PT's and social classes in the school...seems the parent has to find them privately and then take the child for help outside of school. This is very different from what we do here. JMO...each person has to think about what works in THEIR environment.

Since Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) has so many symptoms there is no way a ST or Occupational Therapist (OT), who specialize in one field, could make a good diagnosis. of that. I sure wouldn't trust one. They can maybe diagnose part of a whole...one symptom in a disorder. They also can not rule anything out.

Sh4nnon

Thank You all for replying, it means so much to me. I've had a HORRIBLE week with him :-(
My husband and I are pretty convinced the full moon makes its our sons behavior worse. Actually I think we are that desperate that we are blaming anything..

Seriously I think I'm going to have a break down. I actually don't like my child. I feel evil, but I just don't.

Ok.. So I want to add a few answers. We live in Michigan. I should note that both the psychologist & psychiatrist agreed that he doesn't have autism. Also, when he was about 17 months we took him to a neurologist (because I thought he had autism) he did an EEG on my son and continued to see him at 6 month intervals and didn't think he had autism. Also, his former Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) has extensive training specifically for autistic kids. Not saying she is qualified to diagnosis, but I wanted to add that. The only kids she works with are autistic. So pretty much everyone he's seen agrees he's not autistic so I'm a little confused. I guess he could possibly be on the spectrum, but not have autism?

I forgot which one of you mentioned the list idea. We did it instead of telling him he is not having breakfast until he gets dressed we made a list of this he had to do in the morning. We did this the past two days and it has worked SO much better. However Ive learned that my son gets so worked up about rewards (ie his ds, getting candy etc) that the reward actually becomes a trigger for bad behavior. Also, when he was in time out today he peed his pants. I'm going to lose my mind. Do any of you have any ideas for punishments? Taking things away doesn't seem to work. I tired focusing on positive reinforcement ( earlier in the day he was playing nicely & I gave him some ice cream), but sometimes that doesn't seem to do much either.

I seriously feel like he has me back against the wall and I have no way to punish him :-(

Again I'm so thankful for all the replys thus far. It is so reassuring to know I'm now he only one dealing with his.

Sh4nnon

Sh4nnon - I hope you are still with us and my hat off to you - for a newbie to put that much into introduction post to open that can of worms - wow you're good! I hope you found something useful in there somewhere & your 5yo didn't burn the house down while you were at the computer looking for that info.

To the rest of this forum (myself included) we machine gunned a new mom with so much info - I just can't find any more posts from her (a little worried we scared her off). While what I'm thinking of as "the alphabet soup thread within a thread" was very educational for me ; I think it was a little bit much for a new parent to process.

I'm not scolding just pointing out to the warrior mom's that the new mom's are sometimes a little fragile when they first get here.

I am still here. I had a horrid week with my guy so no time to post. I truly appreciate all the advice!

helpangel

I'm so glad to hear from you , was getting a little worried we bombarded you with too much. Sorry you've had a rough week. Many would agree with you about the full moon. I don't think it's that you don't like your child - you're just having a little trouble enjoying his company right now. It is frustrating been there done that

Michigan? me too these people have lots of info and leads to resources. Some areas even have parent guides.
www.acmh-mi.org

Glad the list helped him (not sure who suggested it) it's been so long I forgot about the visual schedules etc. somewhere in this house I probably have all those cards I made (every activity had a card)

I haven't had much luck with punishments either - is your son an only child? (I ask because had problems with Angel taking younger sisters rewards) I try to ignore behavior I don't like and reward the ones I do. Biggest problems show up when on a time schedule.

Again glad to hear from you. Also glad you got the neurology work up done. If haven't found it yet this site has a special forum for parents of kids under 5yo might come across some good info there too. It's been 10 years since I dealt with a 5yo. - it sounds like you are on the right path.

buddy

You know Shannon, I have that same issue, rewards and punishments can backfire for me, of course there are times when consequences have to happen, heck...if he is hitting with a toy that toy is gone...but will that teach mine to not do it again when he earns the toy back??? not usually. Punishments cause so much anxiety, anger, stress, his brain is single focused and he just does not come out of it. Taking earned things away (like stickers or checks on a chart or such things ) is simply unworkable for us. Rewards for learning or doing or complying work, but inconsistently. He has to be in a good place and it depends on the task etc.

So, in general it is the big picture we have had to work on. I have had to do the whole prioritizing things. What things am I going to focus on first. Those things and only those things are going to get corrections etc. I work to keep overall triggers down, including if he is going on and on swearing or mumbling disrespectful sounding things... I stay quiet. Right now we are not in a place at our house where that is a priority behavior. YET it does decrease anyway because by not working on every single behavior overall stress lessens and with a calmer kid comes calmer behavior (well and I am calmer in there too so that clearly is a big part of it).

When I use a task list and schedule lists, I dont give rewards for each step. He just does better with that visual cue and that in and of itself works. Not everything needs rewards and punishments, we use our calendars without an m and m for meeting each appointment, right? For some kids it just meets their needs. You are probably doing just the right thing for your child by doing that.

I want to apologize for the turn the thread went, not because anyone said anything that was not ok, but because it may have been confusing. I for one was not saying he must be autistic, just that many of us have been through that issue of someone saying something and later finding out it was wrong, so just get nervous about closing any avenues that in the future could help. One thing you will not be able to say about any of us...we are not a group that is not passionate about helping and we so dont want anyone to suffer anything we may have gone through. Always take what is helpful and leave the rest, naturally we all are going to have different opinions, that is the beauty of any forum...as long as we simply share and are respectful! I for one have grown to appreciate that here, that people really take the time to share from their hearts and experiences. We wont know until you tell us which type of experience you are having and can relate to.

For now, what matters is meeting his learning style to help with the behavior challenges you are facing. YES... it feels like they can push us into a corner and get whatever they want! But I honestly feel it is so much more than that. You said maybe he has a little bit of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) type of symptoms maybe??? well sure, there are many many people in the world who have symptoms that fall into many different disorders (one can be disorganized, doesn't mean they are for sure adhd, one can have poor eye contact, doesn't' mean they have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), you get the idea) so maybe your little one has a learning style that would benefit from these kinds of methods that are often used in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) programs but really now have expanded and are being used in emotional and behavioral classes and Learning Disability (LD) classes etc... things that are very visual and that break things into simpler steps....like you are using a little bit. It is great that it has helped.

In the end, that is what we are looking for...tools that actually work. So, if you want to find more ideas like that they may be on learning sites like Learning Disability (LD) sites, may be on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) sites or others... and you certainly don't need to have a diagnosis to access that information! smile!!! Many of us have had to use tools like that, and many others so throw out a situation and we can brain storm with you if that seems to work for your family, the great! Why reinvent the wheel???

I am sorry it gets to be so stressful when the behaviors happen, I can really relate to that. I have thought those same thoughts about traditional parenting...time outs, consequences etc.

Oh, one thing I may have said here but I am sorry if I am mixed up...I will make sure...
When I have to resort to "losing a privilege" I have found that it is possible if I do it a little differently (unless a safety issue, then I just have to walk thru it...like our not being able to play outside at all by our house right now).... but for example, I may have to say...well you just lost ten minutes of watching TV. Or a spin that works better is when I say... if you can keep your hands and feet to your self for ten minutes then I will let you start watching NASCAR, etc.

I also have to make sure he knows the plan...unknowns are hard on him. He likes to know that he has fifteen minutes left and then we will go (even if he grumbles he does way better than if I say...OK time to go NOW!). You probably already do that but there are many ways to give a countdown...even some that are purely visual so if you find more of that visual cuing works, then feel free to ask and we can throw out ideas for how we have done it (it has morphed for me over the years by age and development of course....and I have used some different methods for different kids in classroom settings... all different diagnosis but same problem with transitioning).... so if those are issues, feel free to ask.

keista

You've gone through a bunch of professionals. It's more than possible that he's is not autistic, but just looks like it. Is it possible the pros are wrong? That many of them? Not really, but stranger things have happened.

I was actually remembering your post this week at a support group brunch. One of the gals has twins. One is bipolar, and the other is Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). She had us all confused because she was telling stories about the bipolar one and the behavior just seemed to be 100% Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) (yes, more than just me). Could it be mis-diagnosis? Yes. Could it be cross-traits? Yes. Could it just be "traits" that even if taken with other "traits" looks like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) but still isn't? Yes. I feel I'm such a person. I have LOTS of Aspie traits/behaviors, but I really don't think I'd fit in any cutoff criteria. Some of my behaviors are most definitely learned. Others are genetic. Anyway, go looking for things that may "look like" Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and/or try interventions (like the list thing) that work for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). If it makes life better, no harm, no foul, right?

Celiac disease and gluten intolerance have been known to "look like" Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). So can heavy metal poisoning.

As far as punishments, I never really used punishments when the kids were young. If the child was tantrum-ing and we were at home, they went to their room. I just didn't want to hear it. Unacceptable behavior was pointed out as being unacceptable and redirected and good behavior was praised. Any really bad behavior I tried to have natural consequences prevail. As they got older, I tried (still try) using groundings and such. They don't really do anything to change the behavior, so I keep it short, but long enough to cause a bit of discomfort (kinda like a school detention). I do also have to say that my kids are generally well behaved. Partly because my home and schedule is set up to function well for ppl with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). DD1 was much worse when I was treating her like a "normal" kid. Now that I treat her like an Aspie, (and don't have her on the wrong medications) things are going more smoothly.

Malika

Ok, to go back to your original post and the problems you are actually having... One of the things that struck me was that your son will not play by himself in the house and wants to follow you everywhere. This does indeed seem anxious and as if he is seeking reassurance of your love. Has it always been like this? It is so difficult, of course, to pronounce on the words that someone has written on an internet forum, so just very tentatively I offer the thought that I wonder whether you are all caught in a very oppositional and negative cycle of behaviour that has your son and you as parents reacting all the time in a spiral that gets ever more intense and hostile, with your son constantly "acting out"? My own sense, based on what you have said, is that I would immediately drop the time outs... they are clearly not working in the sense of producing the desired behaviour and are just leading to intense battles. What is the point, really? With these differently wired (for whatever reason) kids, we have to change our parenting style. You've read all the right books! How about trying to work on the premise - I know how completely hard it is - that your son is not deliberately trying to aggravate you or be difficult but is suffering in some way that he cannot help?
With my own son - ADHD symptoms, extremely strong willed, potentially very oppositional - I have seen that what works is affection and positive reinforcement, although it is also true that he needs strong limits. For us, there has been some attachment issues, I think - and I wonder too if this is what is happening in your case, as you have been driven apart by the negative behaviour and reactions? I wonder what would happen if your son felt loved and understood, not punished? In saying that, please understand that I know totally how difficult it is to implement that, how completely understandable and natural it is to feel as you feel (been there done that) and that it is just something to try, a trend to attempt to establish.
Does your son suffer from any sensory or other issues? I have noticed how very sensitive my son is to being tired or hungry and how that affects his behaviour negatively. I have also learnt to take the "meltdowns" with a huge pinch of salt. I no longer react to them or act, most of the time, as if he is being deliberately naughty or difficult by exploding in this way... I have seen, time and again, how if I do this, the storm quickly passes and something of the relationship has been restored. You also have a partner and another child to consider... this obviously changes the dynamic. But I still feel the key to this may well be in the relationship with your son.
I don't know if any of this helps. I hope it does, a little.

TerryJ2

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.
I would switch doctors and find a good neuropsychologist who works with-Autism and bipolar (I got lucky and found one who specialized in distinguishing between the two) and keep looking for a good diagnosis. I hate to say this, but I think you got stuck with-some lazy doctors.
Your son has a lot in common with-mine, except that he talked on time, but quit using single words for a few mo's, and then came out with-complete sentences. He also doesn't have hypotonia.
I cannot believe that the speech therapist told you that he's "just difficult." I am grinding my teeth over that one.