Please keep Cory and his dog in your prayers

DammitJanet

Cory had a dog name Sky...notice the word HAD. Sky was dxd with demodectic mange about a month ago but the vet wouldnt see him without paying in full in advance at the time. In the last several weeks poor Sky has gotten so much worse. Her skin was falling out in huge patches, if you touched her she would bleed and her back legs had swollen so badly she could hardly walk. She was simply pitiful and Cory couldnt pay for treatment. Animal control her would charge us to come get her.

So last night Tony took her for her last drive. He hates doing these things but he seems to be the only one capable except for Jamie and he isnt here. Tony fed her some salmon treats and while she was busy eating those the deed was done. Im sure that Cory was mighty upset last night and we might give him Ziva to take her place. Well no one can take her place but he had two sisters from that brood and one got loose and got hit by a car but Sky was such a good dog and so smart. Its a darned shame. Glad he didnt breed her because its genetic.

buddy

Poor Corey, Will say a prayer for him and his friend. It is hard to lose a pet and that would be something I could not do on my own. Good thing he has your support.

Dee

Andy

How sad. :(. I know how dear pets are and to have to stand by and watch knowing the obstacle preventing the treatment makes the hurt even deeper. You are all in my prayers.

DammitJanet

Well Cory and his family werent home when Sky went good-bye for the last time. They arranged to be away when Tony went over and called her from where she was laying miserable in the yard. Tony put her in his truck with an old blanket and some of out really good treats that she had probably never had in her life. I buy these things from the AKC. They are salmon jerky. Tony took her out in the woods and did the deed. He buried her wrapped in the blanket. Tony came home so sad. We all liked Sky. She was the most beautiful blue pitbull before this skin issue. Blues are quite rare but so awesome. They sorta look like the sky when it is just fixing to rain. I know that would seem more gray but they call the blue.

I am upset and she wasnt even my dog.

TerryJ2

Oh, that's so sad.
I'm glad she had fabulous treats. Tony did it!!! I just read that part. Yikes. Well, as long as it was fast.

I remember calling my vet once, from the SPCA. I had found a fabulous collie but her rear end was bald. The vet very specifically asked if she was missing fur anywhere around her ears, head, or neck. I said no. He then asked if she had fleas. I said yes, she has worn her teeth away, nibbling at them.
He said, "Okay, go ahead and get her. She'll be fine."
I didn't realize at the time why he asked me those questions, but after reading your note, now I know.
And she turned out to be the best dog I've every had. A real-life Lassie.
It took 6 mo's for her fur to grow back, and the vet refused to use cortisone. He said it's bad for you (and dogs) and only to use it when extremely necessary, not just because the fur wasn't growing back fast enough for my taste. :)

Many hugs for you and Tony. He did the right thing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ohhh... Lots of hugs for all of you... Tony is very very brave. And I'm glad Sky got some yummy treats. :hugs:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, Janet, I'm even more sorry that Tony had to be the one to do it. That is such a very hard thing. But Sky is in a truly wonderful place now and is no longer suffering.

(((hugs)))

DammitJanet

Vets around here cost an arm and a leg plus if we tried to call animal control they would ask people around there if it was his dog and if they said yes, they would charge him with neglect and could take the baby. If I tried to take the dog to the pound myself they would charge me with neglect. We are in a no win situation which is why so many people just dump dogs but we couldnt just dump her in her condition. It would be heartless. It would be like dumping me in the middle of the desert with no water, no phone and no food and expecting me to make it long. I wouldnt.

grmac

You guys did the right thing Janet. Sky was obviously suffering. You didn't dump her somewhere. She was given love and compassion at the end. These decisions are never easy and our animals are a big part of our families. That's why it hurts so bad. Hugs to you, Tony, and Cory.

DammitJanet

All I could think of was LC Star but he simply didnt have the money to do the vet care and we dont have any caring vets here. He tried to take her to one and they told him they wouldnt even look at her without him paying up front so he said he had $25 and would they take that and put it on payments? They said no, so he left. Now they are sending him a bill saying they looked at the dog and gave it keppra. BS. Same vet that sued me!