Please rattle some beads

mstang67chic

Going Green
I mentioned this in the good morning thread but my step-dad could use some positive thoughts and lots of good juju.

About a year and a half ago, he was diagnosis'd with prostate cancer. It was at a level that he had a few options but circumstances have just made things worse. He decided that he didn't want the surgery for fear that he would "p*** down his leg" all the time. Then he thought he would go with the implantation of these little radioactive seeds. That turned out to be impossible to do though, because when they did a MRI (or something along those lines) to do the mapping, the docs couldn't do it. SDad has two artificial hips and the mapping procedure was causing flashing off of his hips. They couldn't see where to place the seeds so they couldn't do it. That left him with 40 some odd days of radiation. It made him tired and ill but he thought he would feel better once it was done. Not so. Turns out, he was over radiated and developed some pretty sever lesions through his colon. Since then, he has had such tremendous pain that he's been on an unbelievable high dose of morphine. (So high that when he goes to various doctor appts., the rx doctor tells them to take one of his empty bottles so the other docs believe he's on this dose) He has basically been in bed for the past year with few good days. He has horrible bowel issues and in the past six months or so, some of the lesions have dug down into the muscle resulting in control issues. Tomorrow he goes in to have a colostomy done. He's so relieved to finally get this taken care of but at the same time he's a bit terrified that something else will go wrong. This whole process has been filled with one complication, screw up or delay after another. There were even issues (dr. office staff as well as insurance) with his pre-surgery testing to get clearance for the surgery. Things have been so bad that if he hadn't been cleared for this surgery, it wouldn't have surprised me a bit if he didn't do something drastic to either get emergency surgery or (God forbid) put himself out of his misery.

Any and all good thoughts, prayers or rattling of beads is greatly appreciated. He could really use some positive happenings for once. The surgery is scheduled for first thing tomorrow (Monday) morning and I imagine I'll be at the hospital all day with Mom. I'll update when I can.

Thank you in advance!

trinityroyal

Rattling beads, sending positive thoughts and good juju.

Sorry to hear that your SD has been in such pain, and I hope that the surgery does the trick.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Trinity

TerryJ2

Oh, the poor guy! What a mess. I hope this goes well and that he can heal. Sounds like the cure is worse than the disease, for sure.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Will be sending healing thoughts and hoping that your step dad can have his health back. We are with you as you await the success of his surgery......

mstang67chic

Going Green
Mom and I are sitting in the waiting room now. Dad has been in surgery for a couple of hours at this point. I showed mom my post and all of your responses. She says to tell you thank you very much and bless your hearts for the good thoughts.

Estherfromjerusalem

I'd like to add my good wishes for successful surgery, a good recovery, and release from pain and discomfort. Sending a prayer up from Jerusalem for him. And good wishes to your mother, for strength and patience!

Love, Esther

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thank you all again for the good wishes.

He's now out of surgery although we haven't seen him yet. The doctor said everything went well and they were able to do the surgery laproscopicly (sp?) which will mean an easier recovery. He'll probably be here for 4-5 days assuming there aren't any complications.

Thanks again!