Plumbing Question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Seems I've sprung a leak somewhere under the kitchen sink. Problem is............I can't figure out where it is coming from to save my life.

Thankfully, it's not a big leak. But it's not doing the cabinet wood any favors either.

I've watched as both sides of the sink drain. Nothing. So, I thought maybe pressure had something to do with it. (Nichole has a bathroom sink with the same issue) I filled each side up, then drained them. Nothing. Not a drop.

So I though maybe somehow it is leaking from one of the faucets. Turned on the hot and watched. Nothing. Turned on the cold and watched. Nothing.

I sat a bucket under it large enough to cover both drain areas. Nothing.

Aggravated, I continue washing dishes. After a while I check.........and there is a teeny amt of water under the sink again. WTH? Where is the water coming from???

Any clues?? Cuz this is driving me nuts. I'm hoping it's either something I can do or sister in law can do cuz there is no way I can afford a plumber.

H

HaoZi

Could you put some powder or flour on the undersides and pipes to see if you can locate the source?

H

HaoZi

With it being cold now, is condensation from washing the dishes possible?

Steely

I like the powder idea so you can see exactly where it is coming from. My guess is that it is a small leak from where the joints of the pipes are screwed together. Are they PVC? If so, see if you can tighten them a bit more and see if that helps.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sounds like what happens when water gets through the seal between the sink and the counter...happens to me all the time in my circa. 1966 kitchen!

witzend

I would try caulking around the sink at the counter to see if that helps. Also, the plumber's putty around the drain may need to be redone...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, at least no one said anything serious. whew!

I'll try the powder idea.......though I'm gonna have to go buy some to do it.

I don't think it's condensation, but at this point I'm leery of saying it's not.......but I think it's too much water for that. But the needing to be sealed may be the issue. Now to figure out where......

InsaneCdn

If you suspect anything to do with pipes, wrap them in toilet paper. It absorbs small leaks well, but that changes the texture of the TP, so you can tell where the problem is... I usually wait about 24 hours, because I do not know "when" it happens...

keista

You can use corn starch as your powder. Will wash/wipe off easy enough when you're done.

What kind of pipes are they? Could have a hairline or pinpoint crack in them somewhere. Joints are most likely, though.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Other than plastic...........I have no clue. Plumbing I have zero knowledge about.

I'm pretty sure I have corn starch, didn't think of that.

H

HaoZi

I suggested powder because you can get that fine cloud up on the underside pretty easy (because you know how it sticks to everything!). Clean-up might be iffy. I like the toilet paper idea.

If it's just around the joints you might be able to get sealer to paint onto them then wrap with plumbing tape (or whatever they call it).