Poolside chilling, peepers, pups, and a filter question

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yesterday was such a high stress day with difficult child and her crud. I was so tense, I didn't even want to go home...I actually found things to do to keep me out longer after work until H called and told me he was driving her and Monkeyboy back to his crud-town.

Last night after dinner, I was just feeling so sticky and hot. I normally don't go out by the pool at dusk because we have so many bats that swoop - it just sort of freaks me out. Anyway, I couldn't stand the heat so I took the pups with me out to the pool and we all went for a great swim.

After H returned from dropping off difficult child and boyfriend it was just us and it was sooooooooo nice. I felt the stress just melt away. I never realized how much I love hanging by the pool and what a de-stressor it has become for me.

We have about a gazillion peepers in our yard. There are woods all around and our pool is sort of tucked in there and behind the woods is a great pond in our neighbor's yard, so it's loaded up with all sorts of cool creatures. Some nights it sounds like a rain forest, it's great sleeping music. Anyway, there were a few froggies in and around the pool/deck and my one pup was scrambling all around the place trying to find them - it was great to laugh and watch her go nuts. H came outside and sat with me for a while and we had some nice conversation that was NOT about difficult child for a change. He tried to 'save' a few of the frogs, but they were too fast for him and saved themselves! LOL. There was one bat that swooped within arms length of me and after that I pretty much stayed under the umbrella - haha.

Anyway, it was nice and I just wanted to share.

Now about that filter question: For those of you with a pool, how long do you let your filter run per day? How many hours and do you run it at night or in the day?

Since opening the pool, ours has basically been going non-stop except for a couple of days when the weather just stunk and it was pointless to even try and keep the pool clean. I mostly run it because our pool is in such close proximity to the woods that there are always tiny things falling in and the filtering keeps them from falling to the botton, thus cutting back on my vacuuming. But H says it's using up too much energy and I should only filter it a certain amount of time a day, even though I'm trying to counter balance that energy use by using less energy elsewhere. So, please tell me what your typical use is in regards to filtering your pool. Thanks~

Wiped Out

Staff member
Glad you enjoyed such a destressing night-although with bats that would have been too much for me! Sorry I can't help with the filter question.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I also run it 24/7. But I would contact a local pool company about putting it on a timer and if you could do that.

And FYI - bats WILL NEVER attack you. They are just pinging radar/sonar to see you. You are not a food source - you will NEVER be bothered. They would however come for the Spring peepers. Num num frog legs.

mom_in_training

I have a huge above ground and it was recommended to run the filter for 4 hours a day. I also had a solar cover for it that helped in keeping the debri out of it from all of my neighbors trees. Does not have to be a solar cover especially during the hot summer months. (It gets quite toasty, Lol!!) Having a timer is a good idea as well. I had a timer on mine.

muttmeister

I have a fairly large above ground pool and the instructions say to run it 4-6 hours a day but there is lots of crud around so I just leave it running all of the time. When I installed the pool I really didn't see much change in my electric bill so I doubt if it takes all that much energy. I suppose it depends on the filter.

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know, I think one of the most important things for partners to do is NOT talk about difficult child's at times. You need some down time. Happy clapping for you to have that time.

Abbey

ps...I know nothing about pool filters.

F

flutterbee

I'm so glad you got to relax. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

by the way, what are peepers?

4sumrzn

I'm glad you had a nice relaxing evening.

I just started enjoying watching the bats last year......used to be spooked. I realized how neat they are. Now, I look for them (especially while in the pool at the right time of evening).

The filter.....I used to run it all of the time. I've changed that over the past couple of years & run it over night now... even leave it off a day. Depends on the load of kiddies. But, my reason is because I'm scared I'm going to have to replace it soon.....just like everything else around here. The company told me 6-8 hours a day though.