Poor difficult child ~ Good news maybe ~ update!

Kathy813

Staff member
difficult child had a really great interview on Tuesday for a position as a salon receptionist. She called me at school because she was so excited. It was a one-to-one interview unlike the past few interviews for salons where she was part of a large group interview. She said that the owner spent 45 minutes talking with her and showed her around the salon and even showed her how there computer system worked. They talked pay and hours.

As she left, he gave her his cell phone number and told her to call if she had any questions. difficult child really felt that she was going to get the job. He told her that they were hoping to get someone started before the weekend.

And so she waited. I sent a thank you email for her. She waited. Today, she called and left a message at the cell phone number that she was given. He didn't answer so she left a message. She has not heard back.

I think it is pretty obvious that she didn't get the job. I don't know what she is doing wrong. She is getting a lot of interviews but doesn't get the job. She is wearing nice clothes and looks cute when she goes for the interview. She can be very charming and has the right background. The biggest problem is her sketchy job history and the fact that she smokes. I keep warning her that people will be turned off is she smells like smoke. She claims she doesn't smoke before she goes for the interview but I'm sure that her car smells like smoke with probably transfers to her clothes.

She is getting very discouraged. She gets her hopes up and then is crushed. I hate this for her. Here she is trying and nothing good is happening for her.

I don't know what to tell her expect it is a bad economy and that she just has to keep trying.

Any suggestions?

~Kathy

Last edited:

Nancy

Oh no, I read the subject line and knew it was about the job. I don't have any suggestions except maybe the smoke smell given that it is a salon. But I'm sure there's ways to mask the smell, when difficult child didn't want us to knwo she was smoking she sure masked it. I think it is the economy and there are so many people for each job. But the other thing is the pay is not that high so someone who has a lot more experience is not going to be interested.

I'm still hoping maybe this guy is too bust to call her but it doesn't look good. She can't afford to get too discouraged that she stops looking. She needs to get out to those places she said she was going to walk in last week and didn't.

Still crossing body parts for her.

Nancy

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Do you think it could be her references? That's usually the last step before hiring...

Maybe the new job likes her, has the interview, feels positive enough to call the references...and then hears less than flattering information?

Kathy813

Staff member
DF, I have already thought of that. There is only one reference they can check on the resume and difficult child swears that she has talked to that person recently and that person told difficult child that she has given out good references recently for difficult child. The other jobs listed would need her to give them names and phone numbers for them to contact. For example, one is a chain salon and she just listed the name of the chain. They wouldn't know which specific salon to call without getting further information from difficult child.

It is so frustrating for her and us. We really need her to start contributing to her financial upkeep.

A

AmericanGirl

Have you considered using someone else's phone and calling that reference? Hello, this is Sue Smith calling from }#%^ salon (say it quikly while coughing)....yadda yadda?

Do you know anyone who might do a mock interview or two and give her some feedback?

Kathy, It must be so terribly frustrating for your difficult child as well as for you. It's so hard for anyone to get a job these days, and even harder for our difficult child's. I hope that your daughter does not lose hope about finding a job, and that she will continue to go for more job interviews. Hugs to you...

DammitJanet

Thats a good idea for someone that difficult child wouldnt know to call her reference and check out what they really do say about her. Also...check out difficult child's facebook page and see what is on it. Lots of employers are checking those out before hiring people these days.

I also hate to say it, it could be what she says in the interview. My ex was famous for this. We were forcing him to attempt to get a job after he quit his job when Billy was born. Well he got a job at Radio Shack (yes how ironic) but when he got fired from there for stealing merchandise we continued to force him to go out to try to get another job. Well....he went out on interviews but he sabotaged all the interviews because when they asked him why he was let go from his previous employment he flat told the truth. He quit one job because he didnt want to work once his son was born and he felt the grandparents should take care of him and then the next job he was fired for stealing! Now just how many employers wanted to hire him do you think? NONE! I didnt find that out until I was sitting close to a door where he was interviewing. Jerk.

DDD

My only thought is that her FB may not be in sync with her interview demeanor. More and more employers are utilizing that easy access to size up employees. How any young people get jobs with too much information on the internet I don't kow.

It could be that slightly older females are getting the edge based on maturity. Without telling difficult child I think I might consider doing a walkin at the saloons where she has not been hired just to scope out the hired person.
Stopping in to inquire about hours or prices wouldn't be awkward.

Does she still use your home address or does it show short term residences? That could show instability?

Although I know it would take alot of guts I still think she should consider revisiting the interviewer and briefly asking if there was a specific reason she didn't get the job. Chances are she would just get a quick response saying "we had more experienced women apply" but maybe something good would come up.

Sorry. Hugs. DDD

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Does she still use your home address or does it show short term residences? That could show instability?

Sorry. Hugs. DDD

That's a thought - could be her credit rating. Multiple addresses will lower her score. I don't know about small, private salons - but I could maybe see large chains running employment and credit checks on prospective employees.

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't think the problem is Facebook. I don't have a facebook account but difficult child used our Ipad when she was here a while ago and left it open to her facebook page. Of course, I looked at it and was pleasantly surprised. She doesn't have a computer where she is now so I don't think that she would have been able to update it. I will ask her again but I really think she knows not to post anything damaging especially while looking for a job.

She stil has our address on the resume so that is not the issue. Credit rating, however, is a very real possibility. I didn't think of that one but she has a terrible credit rating. She has creditors calling her all of the time and is behind on her school loans.

I suggested that she call or email and ask if they could tell her why she didn't get the job and ask for suggestions for future job hunting. She actually sounded like she would do it. We'll see.

She was so disappointed that she didn't get this one. I think she really thought this would be the one.

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member
They called her back today and said it was between her and one other person and they would let her know one way or the other by Sunday. She said they still sound very interested.

We need some major board juju!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Kathy

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Oh that IS good news!

I will cross my fingers for her!

(and not to jinx it - but this, at least, is an indication that there is nothing wrong with her references or interview techniques! Whew!)

Nancy

Oh my gosh.....sending all the good thoughts and juju I can. I wasn't willing to give up on this one yet.

Nancy

S

Signorina

Lighting a candle for your difficult child tonight...

Let us know...

hoping,praying, wishing.

DammitJanet

Kathy...I will bet they drug test her. Tell her to stop the klonopin now.

I had a majorly good chance about 6 years ago now to get a job with a call center for a major bank. It would have been perfect for me and the hours were even perfect because the coincided to my best awake hours...lol. 3 to 10 at night! Those are my most awake and functional hours. I explained to them all my disorders and the medications I took including my pain medications and at the time I took klonopin. A very low dose of it. I brought in a print out from my pharmacy showing that I had been on these medications steadily for years and even brought in copies of my doctor's prescriptions.

I was not allowed to show them any of those documents before they pee tested me which shocked me even though I had told them verbally. I had all the paperwork with me on the day they sent me to the lab. I knew I was going to pop hot for several things. Even when I did pop hot, they didnt give me the chance to show them the records. I had already been offered the job, been given a start date, given a salary and everything. Then they called and cancelled my offer saying I failed the drug and morals clause. So for being sick, I wasnt allowed to work.