Poor Susan Boyle

TerryJ2

She's in a psychiatric hospital, calming her nerves.
With an (unnamed) Learning Disability (LD), she apparently has no coping skills.
Sigh.
I hope she can pick up and continue. She has such a beautiful voice and I'd love to see her make a living off of it. That talent show is too much too soon for most people. She needs to move in slowly.

klmno

I heard that- from the way she acted last week or whenever, I guess she is a difficult child. I could get over her not winning but I have a little trouble accepting that she lost to a trendy dance group instead of one of the kid prodigies or someone like that.

I'm really hoping that she still gets record offers or broadway offers and that they just come a little slower than they would have if she'd won. I would love for this to still work out in her favor, in the long run. As far as being in a phhosp- well- a lot of stars have and a lot of difficult child's have. The article I saw said it was exhaustion.

klmno

I just read an article that said she had suffered a little brain damage at birth due to lack of oxygen. Also, it said that shee would probably get a contract with Simon's company.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I was watching the finals Saturday and couldn't believe she didn't win - her voice is amazing. I's sure if anyone was walking by my house, they would have called someone to take me away -

Couldn't even begin to imagine what this past 7 weeks have been like for her with all of the attention comming from that tiny village into the limelight. She didn't even know what UTube was.

Is she a difficult child, I dont think so. No one said much when Holly broke down on stage, everyone went awwwww. Just looking at that tiny girl, you could tell she was a ball of anxiety the way she held her hands. Who wouldn't have a major melt down with all of that pressure. I hope she is able to take it easy for a while - am sure she will be having the record contracts because I would like to hear more of her voice..

Marcie

Abbey

Spork Queen
I can't imagine that private part of your life spattered all over the media. If anything...she needs to be left alone.

Abbey

SRL

Poor thing. I've heard rumors that the record deal has already been signed as well as a singing tour of the US.

American Idol keeps very tight control of their contestants from Hollywood week onward. And I mean very tight. They sign contracts not to release certain info and media interviews are all arranged by Idol and attended by Idol handlers. I always thought it was over the top until I saw how Susan Boyle was all over interviews beginning the day after her first performance. Seeing how she's fared, the control during the competition--and afterwards for the top few placers--now makes a whole lot of sense.

lovemysons

Had to have been an overwhelming amount of pressure she's been under recently.
Hopefully she's getting the rest and care she needs.

Tammy

Marguerite

Apparently, if she had won the contract would have been unhelpful. It has been described as exploitative.

With Australian Idol, we've almost always seen the winner not do anywhere near as well as the runner-up. The winner is locked into bringing out a hit song within days or weeks, while the runner-up gets time to perfect their material, to polish it, to record at their leisure and go a great job.

Susan Boyle will do well, if she chooses to continue on a path to fame. She said she wanted it, but like a lot of people on that road, be careful what you wish for because frankly, you haven't got a clue what it's really going to be like.

She needs space and time to be quiet, and to make her choices. Then when she makes the choice (either way) she will make it in better knowledge of what to expect.

I am very glad for her that she didn't win - I do think it is the best outcome for her personally as well as professionally. It will give her much better control over any eventual contract she gets, to have it written according to what she wants and to her needs. She is committed to the national tour (once she comes out of hospital) and that alone will be harrowing for her. She needs staff to insulate her from the media for a while and to help her simplify her choices.

As for her voice - she has wonderful natural talent but what I heard was a voice that would benefit (has already benefitted) from training. She did "I Dreamed A Dream" again - did you hear the improvement? But I could also hear (especially in ther semi-final) the uncertainty in her voice at times (which can be at least partly inexperience at using the foldback) and her presentation was still a bit lacking in dynamics. She obviously lacks life experience, and her presentation shows this. Again, training will make a big difference.

She is quite a character. I love her personality, underneath it all I think she is a strong person despite her sheltered background. She is going to need it, she has to learn to not read her own bad reviews except to consider practical ways to improve. Certainly you never let them knock you down emotionally.

I'm also looking forward to her first album coming out. Coming second - it's going to be a much better album, and much more likely to reflect HER choices.

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I agree with Marg. I've noticed the runners up seem to do much better than the actual winners. I'll bet she'll be flooded with offers anyway.

As for her hospital stay and being difficult child? That describes most of Hollywood. lol

I think it was simply a case of too much too soon. I know I'd probably snap if I went from "nobody" to having the whole world staring at my every move in nothing flat.

I hope she gets a good rest. And can go on to have a nice career. :)

klmno

I thought some more about this- even though she has so much potential, she might decide to just sing around the UK and forget trying to be a world star. I wouldn't blame her if she did this.

I have to say- I find it hard to believe that the queen is going to enjoy the dance group's performance more than she would enjoy listening to Susan sing, polished or not.

Lothlorien

Were you all able to watch it? Where? What channel? I would have loved to watch it.....We get BBC news, but that's it.

klmno

I didn't watch it but there are videos of the performance in the news and on youtube I think. I saw one that included the judges comments- they wanted her to win. Personally, I think she didn't win because of the age group of people calling in.

Marguerite

We don't get the show itself on Aussie TV, but the various networks around the world have been playing the clips on the news, ad nauseum. I'm sure it's on YouTube.

I did like the dance group but I think their earlier routine was better. I agree - I don't think they're going to translate well to the world stage and I don't know how the Queen will react. She may like it - who knows? But what do Diversity do after that?

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Some things are better left alone. She may well be one of them. But weren't we so lucky to have the privledge of hearing her if even for a short time?

Whatever she decides I'm thankful I didn't miss hearing her gift.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Loth, there is a Britains Got Talent channel on UTube- you can watch the auditions and the episodes leading up to the finals.

There is only 4 parts to it - the auditions, the selections, the semi final and the final
I like it so much better than American Idol which is just straight singing - people do some amazing (and no so amazing) stuff. My favorite this year after Susan was Stavros Flatly- they just made me laugh like crazy - not professionals by any stretch, but a father and son nutty dance act. They give a back story to all of the acts, some of which can make you tear up. And they always have lots of kids on that just have so much talent.

Marcie

DazedandConfused

I think when the story of Susan first broke I recall her saying that she has struggled with depression. She has been through such a whirlwind that I am saddened, but not suprised by her breakdown.

Imagine how much ridicule she has been subjected to for most of her life because of her looks. She also shared that she was taunted and bullied as a kid. And, I read where she had done other auditons in the past and was ignored and even mocked due to her looks. Even someone who hasn't been through what she has would have to make a big adjustment to the world media attention.

On Youtube I found a recording she had done in 1998 of the song Cry Me a River. Haunting and beautiful.

Imagine how for all of your life you have been rejected to then a by a stroke of lightening everyone loves and wants a piece of you? I just hope that she has people around her with the right intentions that will protect her from the sharks in the tank.

Fame cuts deep both ways.

klmno

I think she could cut an album right away and sell millions. When a person can do that, who cares if they give concerts at football stadiiums?

witzend

K, Broadway is grueling and I'm sure she doesn't have the stamina to do that. But she could do regional theater, I think. And a record deal.

I did see the video of her singing "Memories" from Cats. That is a nearly impossible song to sing, and it wasn't in her key. She didn't shine the way she did with the other song. I can't believe that she actually chose that, but I don't know how their program works.