Pootie - Ransom

Star*

call 911........call 911
I got so excited - and thought someone was returning her or had found her.

I got a ransom note instead. Asking for a lot of money.

I swear only MY LIFE if THIS bizzare.

mom_to_3

Oh my! I'm sorry your pooch is missing and even sorrier that someone would send you a ransom note???? That is out of this world! I hope you can work this out somehow.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think DF was of the mind that Dude lost her, or she ran away or that even maybe he had sold her for his probation fees, and sadly I had thought of that too. :( But after seeing him and seeing how horrible he looked, no sleep, aggitated and when he said HIS daughter? I knew better.

Now that there is a note? DF is front and center. I think this is going to get ugly.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I called animal control. They told me it is not legitimate. Without even looking - they said this is a most of stolen dog email scams and to call local law enforcement.

I told him I can't get a cop to come out and take this seriously and he told me who to call.

In the mean time I did a search on Google for internet fraud/scams for stolen dogs and almost verbatim - there was my email.

I am hacked off. I am SO hacked off I called the US Secret Service. They took my information for the internet fraud division. I said I WILL press charges. Then I contacted the government web site to report this hacker/scammer scum.

And I'm making a local report of it with this detective the animal guy told me to call.

HADES hath no furry like a pootie namma scorned.

Andy

Oh My!!! What???? Someone really thinks this will work? Is there someone out there reading lost ads and just sending out ransom notes? And how do they suggest they will give pootie back, if they have her?

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Oh Star - what a horrible thing for someone to try and do. The things people think of never even cross my mind.

You go get them!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Since you already contacted everyone appropriate.............hehehehehe........contact them back (with police permission of course *coughcough*) and send some of DF's ride buddies for the drop. Big teddy bears they might be, ain't nothing scarier than a bunch of die hard Harley dudes.

Seriously, I hope they can get some of these idiots off the street. Still hoping for the best for Pootie.

donna723

I keep checking in to see if there's any Pootie-news, and I'm stiill hoping for the best.

What a horrible thing to do to try to rip off people who have lost their pets! I swear, every time you think that people couldn't possibly sink any lower, they prove you wrong! I wonder how many people have paid up, thinking they're going to get their dog back and then find out they've been ripped off! Must be heartbreaking! I certainly hope they catch these #$*^%. If they put half as much effort into working as they do thinking up new ways to scam people out of money, they'd already be rich!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Oh honestly, Star. I'm not surprised that some horrible people want to take advantage but it enrages me anyway.

How about calling the media? Have you tried that yet?

Suz

DammitJanet

I just thought of another place to look...Petfinders.

I was going to say the Ransom note is a scam right off the bat. Just too convenient. We found two full grown pits playing in our yard a couple of years ago. They were obviously very well cared for and quite friendly. We hid them in our chicken yard in cages so no one could see them or steal them and then started sending out feelers. We didnt say what they looked like. It was about a day later that a man from up the street came down to us and told us that he had lost two dogs. He described them to a T...including the collars they were wearing. It was obvious they were his dogs...it was even more obvious when we brought them out and they ran to him and about licked him to death!

The man got extremely lucky that we caught those dogs because just about anyone else would have hid them and sold them to fighting rings. The man was so grateful to us and offered a reward but we declined.

Star*

call 911........call 911
The police NEVER showed or called - again.

Dude rode his bike here in 100 degree heat - and just to see me and see if I knew anything about Pooda-bear.

I told him about the ransom - he gave me a hug. His friend said "Are you going to pay it?" and Dude said "If my Mom gets her hands on that guy she's probably going to go to jail."

Then I told them both that I called the US Secret Service - and got a chuckle out of both - actually 1 smirk 1 chuckle and so I showed them my on line form I printed out. THAT shut them up. THe friend said "Dude your Mom she like don't take no...." and I turned and said "You're not going to swear in my house are you? My small dog eats little boys who swear." (Kid afraid to death of Casper) he said NO MAAM I just meant you don't fool around.

I said NOT OVER MY FAMILY I DO NOT.

My girlfriend thinks the fosters gave her away without knowledge - because when I told her tonight I got a ransom note the tone was - HOW? WHA? A what? NO...... and I asked Dude about that and he said he already thought it since the man was the one who talked him into putting her in a neighbors yard.

I'm keeping the faith - printing more flyers. Calling more people and walking through the shelters.

Thanks all.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Since you already contacted everyone appropriate.............hehehehehe........contact them back (with police permission of course *coughcough*) and send some of DF's ride buddies for the drop. Big teddy bears they might be, ain't nothing scarier than a bunch of die hard Harley dudes.

I like mustangs idea. :D

I swear there is no limit to how low some people will stoop. ugh

((((hugs))))

N

Nomad

Wow...it is amazing how low people can get.
I (for the most part) believe in karma, which means that these interesting folks should wake up to a pile of dog poop any day.

witzend

I hope you are planning to call the police. This is a felony, and a serious crime. I doubt that this is the first or last time they have done this. It doesn't mean that they have Pootie, it may mean that they just know that you are looking for Pootie.

meowbunny

The ransom scheme has been around so long it is nauseating. It used to be people would steal dogs out of yards to collect the rewards. If the rewards weren't big enough, then the dogs were ransomed. This has now become a big internet business. Sadly, it works quite well. People will do almost anything to get their beloved pets back. Most of these jerks (strongest I can think of that the censors will let me use here) are overseas and use something like PayPal to collect the money. The chances of catching them is slim and, even if caught, the odds of a conviction are pretty much nil.

However, the idea that the fosters would steal the dog is just inconceivable. If they felt that way, they should have had the decency to either talk to Dude or call you, not just have the dog taken away. That's nauseating. The ransom scammers are vile people but if the fosters did this, they truly should be hung by their short hairs and have dogs nipping at anything that sags downward.

Star*

call 911........call 911
MB - while I agree 99% - the 1% I would digress is that the dogs get to nip at these people.

I say put them in a small 10x10 room with a real woman - say ME. A Grandma. After the initial shock of getting her back would wear off ? I would pity the fool. Really. :anxious:

meowbunny

Nah, Star. you'd be too mad and make it end too quickly. A nip here and a nip there. Here a nip, there a nip. Everywhere a nip, nip. Slow, painful torture. It would take days, maybe even months to bleed out. (Did I mention I'm a vindictive witch with a capital B when it comes to things like this?)