Positive news for a change :-)

lovemyson1

Hi sweet people,

I just want to share my happiness with all of you. My son, who is an addict, has been clean now for 75 days! His wake up call was when he went to jail for stealing and now has mandatory 6 month treatment & 3 years probation. This has changed him. I believe God has worked in his life and his heart. He has 3 job interviews this week too, thank God cus we are going broke helping him pay for everything while he goes to rehab. I hope those of you with faith, never give up, keep praying, God is good! I know we have a long battle ahead, cus relapse is a big concern, but my optimism is here to stay. I hope & pray for those of you hurting now, it is so difficult, I know. I can't believe we are celebrating his recovery, when almost 3 months ago we were visiting him behind a glass window. I also want to thank those of you who were so truthful to me and guided me during this process. I truly feel grateful & blessed.

Kathy813

Staff member
Thanks for sharing that great news! We really needed that right now. It has been a tough week on the SA forum.

~Kathy

Origami

That is great news! It's always good to hear that our difficult children can make positive changes and turn their lives in a different direction.

Tired Mom

So happy to hear your good news. I am hoping that my own son has hit his bottom. Last week he OD'd on heroin and almost died. He agreed to go to rehab. It has been like a tornado struck with all the insurance, rehab issues and legal we have been dealing with.

lovemyson1

Thank you everyone!! I can't even tell you how happy I am, I really can't! I wanna fall on my knees and cry with joy.. yesterday it was so awesome to just see him with his dad, going to the gym, helping clean the house and even was in the kitchen with me talking about working on his 6-pak, lol!! It IS possible dear parents, it really is, don't give up, ever!! But it's true, the sooner they hit rock bottom (without killing themselves) the better!! Don't enable at all!! I'm learning a lot! I celebrate every day, it's been 81 days today. He starts his new job Wednesday and surrounds himself with sober friends, he goes to meetings all the time, I think he likes the social aspect of it all, he's very social, talkative, outgoing (not when he was using).

TiredMom, that is terrifying to read! Heroin is so so so sooooo addicting!! Thank God he didn't die, I know my son could have died several times with all he was doing. If my son had not been arrested and forced into rehab, he may never have changed.. trust the process and never give up sweetie.. I pray for all of us daily!

Thank you all for your wonderful support it's priceless!

Tired Mom

I understand your joy. My son is into one week of detox and one and a half weeks of rehab. The last two days have been such a joy talking to him especially compared to the last few years. He is talking about books that both him and my husband are reading, he was touched by WWII veteran they brought into rehab, talking about working out, and he is excited about the future. No matter what the future holds I want to hold these conversations with him in my heart forever. He has started saying I love you at the end of our phone conversation which he has never done before. As scary as it was watching my son almost die if it ends up helping him turn his life around it will be the biggest blessing for my family.

lovemyson1

I'm glad I can help comatheart! It is encouraging to read positive outcomes! I know many are struggling, hurting and going though terrible times with their difficult child's and it is totally heartbreaking, it really is. I don't know why we were blessed so greatly to have our son back, sober 95 days today, working, lifting weights, dating, cooking for himself, going to church and sobriety meetings, new friends. All I can say is my prayers were answered, God is Good and it's God's grace because I don't deserve it. And I know, he could relapse any day, but I know that I don't have control over any of it. I just love him and tell him how proud I am as he continues his growth and sobriety. I want this for all of us. Never give up! ((Hugs))

Great news. My son is going on 60 days sober. He is staying at the facility once his 90 days are up and is going to start working there . I know there are those who do not trust this decision and have made it clear that failure is imminent. I talk to my son's counselor every week along with the director and my son is doing all the right things. I am cautiously optimistic. I had to play hard ball to force him to go to rehab. I pressed charges. I guess what I'm trying to say is I believe there is hope for all of our difficult children.

lovemyson1

There's always hope dear friends. Today my son is 123 days sober! He has gained weight in a good way. Came home from the gym all smiles yesterday, flexing his muscles and has a new sweet girlfriend who is smart, polite, going to college and knows my sons past. He has a job and his confidence is growing in leaps! He realizes that drugs had robbed him of all of this. Amen! What a huge, huge difference 4 months can make when our difficult child's want to change!! My hope and prayer is that all of us experience this, I believe it can happen, I really do. Drugs are ugly and kill. But if a person wants to change, they will. Great news midatlanticdenial and Patriotsgirl, please keep me updated!! Merry Christmas to you good people! ((hugs)) Never give up!

There's always hope dear friends. Today my son is 123 days sober! He has gained weight in a good way. Came home from the gym all smiles yesterday, flexing his muscles and has a new sweet girlfriend who is smart, polite, going to college and knows my sons past. He has a job and his confidence is growing in leaps! He realizes that drugs had robbed him of all of this. Amen! What a huge, huge difference 4 months can make when our difficult child's want to change!! My hope and prayer is that all of us experience this, I believe it can happen, I really do. Drugs are ugly and kill. But if a person wants to change, they will. Great news midatlanticdenial and Patriotsgirl, please keep me updated!! Merry Christmas to you good people! ((hugs)) Never give up!
Wow! Such great news! It does give me hope. I have not seen him since he left. The separation is bittersweet. I miss him and what we had before the drugs. Christmas will be tough but the fact that he is in a safe place getting the help he needs, helps ease the sadness. I will continue to post, good or bad, as the days go by!

I wish everyone as Merry of a Christmas that is possible and positive thoughts for 2015! Let's hope the difficult child's start making better choices.

That is wonderful. God has changed my son also (I posted yesterday). He doesn't hang out with his old friends. He reads his Bible and goes to church. He says he doesn't have those desires for those things anymore. We are praising God! I'm glad for your news, also.