Positive report from difficult child 2's counselor

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Despite the lousy grades, difficult child 2 seems to be adjusting well to the social aspect of middle school. Here's a message I got today from his counselor:

I just wanted to share with you how well difficult child 2 seems to be doing socially out at lunch. Last week I observed him sitting with a group of boys (he was at the end of the group) and he was engaged in the conversation, interacting, and making jokes or telling a story (I couldn't hear from a distance). He also later approached a female student and had dialog with her and then they went their separate ways.
I know the socialization aspect of middle school was a concern for all of us, but I wanted you to know that I was very impressed by his level of appropriateness with other students. So happy to see that he is adjusting well to middle school!

Now if we could only get his organization/memory/focus/attention/etc. on the same track, life would just be absolutely perfect!

jal

That's a very nice positive note.

I am grappling with-the same with-regards to attentions/focus etc. When you find a solution, please post it here!

But the social aspect in middle school is such an important component. Glad to hear he's adjusting well!

TerryJ2

I just noticed in your profile that he is trialing Namenda. My dad is on that. I always thought there were similarities between spectrum disorders and Alzheimer's, the way they're so "in the moment" and disorganized.
Awesome.
Can you notice a difference?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone!

Terry, yes he and I both see a difference in his focus, attention and memory. Not HUGE but it's noticeably better than before. This drug works on glutamate which apparently is a key neurotransmitter for these brain functions. And it doesn't have the side effects that stimulants have (which also work on glutamate receptors), which is important for the mood disorder aspect of his condition.