Possible Aha moment

Wiped Out

Staff member
for easy child. easy child came in to our room to talk with husband and me. She told us she was sad because one of her good friends got kicked out of the scholarship program they are in. We sympathised with her and just started talking in general, turns out we all had rough days yesterday.

When we mentioned even difficult child, she wanted to know how his day was bad. Without wanting to get into specifics we mentioned that some kids had been bothering him (true, just not about yesterday's situation). All of a sudden she started talking to us-really talking-something difficult for easy child.

She said she just got it! She said there is a boy at school with Asperger's that the other kids automatically dismiss anything he says because of it. She said here they are at 15, 16, 17 and kids are still being mean to him. She went on to say she thinks she should start being kinder to difficult child, that he probably has to deal with similar things (even though for difficult child it isn't Aperger's) and how hard that must be for him every day! She told us she just that moment connected the dots and put it all together!

She stayed in the room with us a bit longer and I saw a single tear falling down her face. She didn't do much the rest of the night but did hang out and watch an old Gilligan's with us.

It seems to be a real "wow" moment for her. Even though I'm not expecting major changes right now it appears she may be developing some empathy which is huge for her. I was so proud of her last night.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sharon, you have every reason to be proud of easy child.

My easy child knew what was wrong with her brother, and when push came to shove she'd fight for him everytime, but yet she truly didn't *get* him until she was about 16-17. That when it started really sinking in that he didn't do the things he does just to drive her insane or make her life miserable. lol She did a presentation on Travis and his dxes the following year that made me bawl like a baby.

easy child still gets aggravated at her brother now and again, but don't we all? lol

A major Lightbulb moment for easy child for sure. :D

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! I am proud of her! I think it was a huge realization for her. It's going to be harder for her to follow through but truly gives me hope for the future!