Post anesthesia changes?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't know if I'm IMAGINING things, but ever since my surgery I feel like I've lost a certain mental edge that I had before the lights went out. Is this weird?

crazymama30

Nope, that is fairly common. It will fade with time and won't be permanent. With elderly it can take a very very long time to go away, so be glad you are not elderly!

tiredmommy

I had a very minor procedure a few years back and the anesthesia did weird things to me for a few weeks: I couldn't pull up the correct word, remember phone numbers, etc. It was a very upsetting feeling.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ok. I'm not really upset about it -- okay maybe a little.

That's good to know it's (hopefully) temporary. It's hard to explain, but it just feels off. I have some projects I was working on that got put on hold for the past week and suddenly I just don't have the spark I had that allowed me to jump right in and start solving complex problems. I notice the effort it takes now.

Hopefully that's my last (and only) surgery ever!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Anesthesia affects people differently. Yes, it's fairly common, and yes it will wear off soon. :)

Me? I can wake up from major surgery (and I do mean major) and demand food and drink. I'm wide awake, alert, and usually thirsty and starving. And I (thankfully) never get nauseous. My sis, poor thing, wretches until she prays to die and has trouble throwing off the grogginess. mother in law.......similar to sis but much more severe. She'd be loopy for at least a week just getting teeth pulled under gas. Surgery.....someone stayed with her 24/7 for at least 2 wks.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's funny how differently people respond. My mom is a lightweight, so when she gets a colonoscopy she's had to tell them to go easy on the sedation otherwise she gets VERY sick. Me? I thrash around and try to yank out tubes if they don't knock me out hard for scopes.

I did vomit when I was coming out of it this time. And I remember complaining of a really bad headache which went away after the nurse gave me a shot of something in my thigh. Then I just felt REALLY drunk and my belly hurt.

Like I said, hopefully never again!

buddy

count me in on those who have a strange time after anesthesia. I remember after one surgery when they wake you in the operating room before going to recovery them saying she is not breathing on her own...I could hear everything, I got so scared but could not force myself to breathe of course. clearly I am alive so I recovered but I then feel weird, hard to explain for a long time, many weeks after. It is far longer than the recovery from the actual surgery site.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh yeah -- I had them bugging me to keep taking deep breaths as I was coming out of it too! It was very annoying because all I wanted to do was sleep. And then my nose got itchy because of the dang oxygen tubes shoved up it and the nurse wasn't too happy that I kept taking them out. :rofl: Guess I'm not a very patient patient.

Malika

This seems like a joke, but I don't mean it that way. The same thing has happened to my dog, who had major surgery under anaesthetic about 10 days ago. She seems to have some symptoms of senile dementia since, not that I mean in any way to draw an analogy there with you :)