Post-fire cleanup insurance issues

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm just spinning in circles this week with all the post-fire stuff going on.

The first cleanup company is quoting us $1500 to $2000 to get the pink Phoschek off the house. They're talking about using a lift so they don't have to go on the roof.

My painter offered to send one of his guys over this weekend for free to pressure wash for us. But my 3 skylights need to be cleaned, so anyone going up on the roof is taking their life in their hands because once this pink stuff is wet, it's slipperier than snot.

I've got two more companies getting me estimates today (but it looks like they may both be here at the same time, which will be a little awkward).

My uncle and I tried to do some cleanup yesterday, but it already looks like we accidentally scraped some of the new paint off the stucco when we were trying to scrub the pink stuff off :(

I guess what I'm just balking at is this $1,000 deductible. I need to just get over that and hire someone to get this done and over with.

Oh, and to top things off, as if having a firestorm blow through here wasn't enough excitement, my dad was admitted to the hospital Tuesday night because medications he's taking screwed up his electrolytes and his potassium was dangerously low. It's taking a long time for them to come back up, so he'll probably still be there until tomorrow at the earliest.

And my internet access has been intermittent since Monday. Wondering if the fires had anything to do with it, but the cable company can't get out here until tomorrow :(

And now my uncle wants me to do Thanksgiving next week.... I think I must be crazy to say yes. But you know what? I'm really thinking of doing paper plates this year (I usually drag out the good dishes) because there is just too much going on. And as far as my messy house goes (both inside and out), it's just going to have to wait.

WHERE is that REWIND button???! I want a do-over for the past week!

nvts

Hey! Used to be a claims adjuster - make sure that you tell the guys doing the estimates what your deductible is. Sometimes they take that into consideration when they put their price on it for you. Remember: you ALWAYS present the highest estimates to the insurance companies so that you don't get short changed.

My sister and I just got back from Costco and we found paper plates that "look" like good China plates - we were dying and bought them. Right next to them were plastic forks, knives and spoons that "look" like good silver (with a pattern and all!) so we got those too.

Beth

Jena

hi

i'm sorry to hear you are having a very rough week or so. i hope you are able to find someone to clean it up, i can't imagine what a job that must be.

Paper plates are fine :) i'm sure you can find really nice ones, costco does have them! I'm so sorry to hear that he's in the hospital. wow, so many things at once, huh..? well they say it comes in 3's so your done now. it's nothing but blue skies for you :)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Aww, GCV. GO PAPER!!!! Dont' add another thing to your plate. On your way, get some plastic spoons and such.

Abbey

Andy

Be very careful of that rewind button. You have to also delete so that you don't get a replay.

Paper plates will be fine - especially if you can get some of those nice decorative ones. Isn't there anyone in the family that is not facing the fire cleanup that you are? Can't they host this year's meal?

I will be surprised if both estimators show up on time. I wouldn't be surprised if one is up to one hour late. So, there is a good chance they will not be there the same time.

I hope your dad is feeling better.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Paper plate? Go for it! Just, um. ....don't burn 'em when your done. ahem.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have a really good set of dishes - they are used twice a year - Thanksgiving and Xmas. I tried to suggest paper plates last year, but I got that "whaaatttttt" LOL I wouldn't mind cept these plates have to be handwashed, and of course, one female and all the rest males means those males will be plopped in front of the TV while I wash the dishes..

On your loss, was there any smoke inside? - have you turned on your air conditioner to check to see how much smoke got inside of your ducts. If not, you should test it. If you have smoke damage, you can most likely get the inside cleaned and painted :)

Marcie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Nuthin wrong with Chinette!!! Love the paper plates... Unless they are going to cook for you and clean up! While you lounge around and think about your pink garage!
And hopefully your garage will no longer be pink by then!

Andy

I just thought of something that may be fun.

Make different kinds of marks on the back of the plates (one per plate). Who ever ends up with that plate gets that job:

You can purchase stickers of different things:

Turkeys get to clear the table (two or three)

Squirrels get to pack left overs (two or three)

Nuts get to wash the pots and pans and any other non-paper things you have (two - one washing, one stacking who decides what goes into dishwasher if you use one)

Pumpkins get to dry the dishes (two or three)

Corn get to put dishes away (two or three)

No arguing about figuring out who does what or works with who- it is on the plates!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love paper plate for Thanksgiving-we use them every year! Everyone in husband's family is used to it, they all do the same. I think my family took awhile to get used to it.

Sorry about the insurance stuff. Hugs.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hey! Used to be a claims adjuster - make sure that you tell the guys doing the estimates what your deductible is. Sometimes they take that into consideration when they put their price on it for you. Remember: you ALWAYS present the highest estimates to the insurance companies so that you don't get short changed.

My sister and I just got back from Costco and we found paper plates that "look" like good China plates - we were dying and bought them. Right next to them were plastic forks, knives and spoons that "look" like good silver (with a pattern and all!) so we got those too.

Beth

THANK YOU for the advice, Beth! I will be sure to follow it :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Be very careful of that rewind button. You have to also delete so that you don't get a replay.

You are absolutely right about that! I take my back my request...

Isn't there anyone in the family that is not facing the fire cleanup that you are? Can't they host this year's meal?

Not really. My dad just got out of the hospital and they really don't have the energy or the room to host it. My one uncle lives in an apartment and his wife doesn't know how to cook much besides Thai food (plus they live about 40 miles away). My other uncle hosted it last year and (first time for his wife who is not from this country and I think it was very stressful for her). My brother (I have no other sibs) lives in a 1 bedroom apartment, plus he's spending it with his fiance's family. And husband's family is celebrating it TODAY. So that leaves me.

I will be surprised if both estimators show up on time. I wouldn't be surprised if one is up to one hour late. So, there is a good chance they will not be there the same time.

Actually, my adjustor, who is also handling my neighbor's claim, is coming to see both of us this afternoon. She's already had her cleanup job done yesterday. I hesitate authorizing anything until I have something from the insurance company that says they'll pay. Know what I mean??

My dad's doing better, mostly. Mom and I decided he is very likely borderline personality disorder and she says she likes him better when he's doped up on Xanax (he's really a PITA otherwise) ;) Dad's in denial about the extent of his disability. I think it won't be too long before he's in a nursing home at the rate his health is declining. Sad to say, but that would mean the beginning of a new and better life for my mom...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Paper plate? Go for it! Just, um. ....don't burn 'em when your done. ahem.

Thanks, 'stang :) Speaking of burning... I had to laugh when I went to the grocery store on Monday: as I walked in the front door I looked to my left and they had for sale a five foot-high stack of FIREWOOD. I don't think they'll be able to GIVE that away!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have a really good set of dishes - they are used twice a year - Thanksgiving and Xmas. I tried to suggest paper plates last year, but I got that "whaaatttttt" LOL I wouldn't mind cept these plates have to be handwashed, and of course, one female and all the rest males means those males will be plopped in front of the TV while I wash the dishes..

On your loss, was there any smoke inside? - have you turned on your air conditioner to check to see how much smoke got inside of your ducts. If not, you should test it. If you have smoke damage, you can most likely get the inside cleaned and painted :)

Marcie

Yeah, I feel a little guilty about the paper thing because I make a point of using the good china and silver for holidays and special occasions. And it does have to be handwashed, but my uncles' wives and my mom usually jump in there to help with that -- but I can never get them to just sit and relax for a while after the meal, they always want to jump up and start cleaning! Arrg. Just once I'd like to relax for an hour or so after eating :) Maybe that will happen this year!

We didn't get much smoke inside, but my air filter does smell like smoke and the cleanup guy is recommending we get the ducts cleaned (this isn't our first fire either, just the first we could claim anything substantial). So I'm hoping for a duct cleaning and possibly a touchup on the exterior paint if they can't get all the PhosChek off with the powerwash (and from the looks of my neighbor's stucco, it's not all coming off).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Nuthin wrong with Chinette!!! Love the paper plates... Unless they are going to cook for you and clean up! While you lounge around and think about your pink garage!

Thanks Toto :) We got a lot of the gunk off the garage door, but it's not coming off so easily on the stucco. Hopefully I'll get my paint touched up if that's the case.

gcvmom

Here we go again!

Thanks Toto :) We got most of the gunk off the garage door, but it's not coming off the stucco so easily. Hopefully we'll get a paint touchup covered by insurance.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I just thought of something that may be fun.

Make different kinds of marks on the back of the plates (one per plate). Who ever ends up with that plate gets that job:

You are a GENIUS! GREAT idea! I'm going to do that for the next time I break out the good stuff for a family gathering. :D