Potty Party

Dara

Well, we finally did it. Sammy had a potty party today at the therapists house. He did great! He did so great in fact that he is initiating going to the potty on his own. No more diapers! Just a pullup for night time! I am so proud of him! Hooray for Sammy!!

DammitJanet

Hooray for Sammy!!!!

We are working on the same thing with Keyana now. We know its time because the child can basically change herself...lol. She is in pull ups all the time now because they are easier for me and she goes and gets them, changes them herself and throws the old ones away. Only time she has a problem is the icky ones...lol. She is "trying" to go potty but not quite there yet.

Tell Sammy how proud this board Auntie is of him!

Dara

If he has an accident it isnt a big deal to me. He had a little problem earlier because the stream went over the toilet..Boys. and he didnt like to get wet all over him. i said Its ok, lets wipe you down and just get a new pair of undies no big deal you did a great job on the potty and he was fine with that! I am just so proud of him. I didnt expect him to have it down so fast. IT will be interesting to see how he does when he is in one of his moods...

witzend

I hated when M was learning. Between him and husband I swear that there was urine all over my bathroom! My bathroom stunk to high heaven! I know that boys can pee standing up. I know that it works great in a urinal. But can someone explain to me why they have to pee standing up? There came a time when M was about 8 and I made him clean the outside of the toilet when I cleaned the inside. I wasn't the one peeing all over it! He pretty much figured it out from there that he needed to take a better aim.

Dara

The poor kid is terrified of going poopie on the potty. I dont know what we are going to do. He has worked himself up into such a tizzy that he has not peed on the potty yet. I called the therapist but it is just 9am here so I am waiting for him to call back to see what we should do to not stress him out. My whole thing with this is no stress for Sammy only positive things having to do with the potty. If he has an accident, no biggie. We clean him and the floor or wherever get new undies and it is over. I hope we dont end up back at square 1. he did so well yesterday I want him to keep his confidence and feel proud of his accomplishments and not stress over it.

nvts

I know this sounds really stupid, but I had a friend of mine who's son was headed for the age of 4 and was TERRIFIED of doing "poop on the potty". Now this is before pull-ups and really big diapers, so she was just about to start buying Depends for the kid.

One day, she brought a cup of corn flakes into the bathroom and told him that if he "made fish" in the potty, he could feed them and send them off to the ocean.

He did what he had to do and was thrilled to death to do it from then on!

Nemo Poo - what a unique concept! :sick:

susiestar

Roll With It
I think "making fish" is a great idea.

My cousin is a little older than Jessie. (My aunt had kids about the same time I did, LOL!! - and I was NOT a teen mommy) Potty training was a NIGHTMARE for my controlling aunt. Abby used to chase the garbage man because he was taking her used diapers. She hid them ALL OVER the house. She also purposely peed on things when she was angry. Like my mom's car when she insisted Abby sit in a carseat. Abby had gotten to sit in the regular seat on the airplane and decided no more carseats. (That totally does not fly in our family - not with ANY of us. My stars, I sat in carseats from when they were first available!) The kid had to sit in the wet seat until they got here, over an hour drive. Then she had to help get the carseat apart and wash it!

Anyway, kids are strange about pottying. So keep up the positive, and don't worry about him. He really WILL get it.

Dara

It's funny. He had a terrible day behavior wise but as far as the potty is concerned, he did great! We will see tomorrow if pooping is still an issue but I think as he gets more relaxed on the potty, pooping will be easier. The thing the therapists are saying is no diapers or pullups at all. He gets a pull up at night because he isnt ready to go through the night yet but that is it. He either poops on the potty or in his pants. For him that is motivation because he doesnt want it on him. He is doing great though initiating going to the potty. I am so proud!!

Dara

He wont go Poopie on the potty. He freaks out. Anyone have any creative ideas on how to help make that fun?

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm no help. My difficult child's potty training lasted for many,many years. It was my nightmare. Nothing helped except aging.
I hope your son's potty party helps him to master this developmental step.

My easy child went through a phase where he was anxious about the tub drain. We covered the drain with a wash cloth. For some reason he didn't feel afraid of the drain when he couldn't see it. He thought he would go down the drain.

Maybe your son is afraid of some part of his body going down the toilet or being taken away. You can always ask him. Maybe he can explain what he is afraid of.

nvts

Oh Fran, you just sparked such a funny memory that my mother laughed about until the day she died!

For convenience sake, she'd give my brother and sister a bath together (they were only a little over a year apart). One day, my brother (probably about 2.5 years old) starts furtively feeling around the bottom of the tub and yelling not to let the water out of the tub.

My mom, not knowing what's wrong, quickly covered the drain and asked him what was wrong and he replied

"Don't let the water out! Her "willy" fell off and I can't find it ANYWHERE!!"

She decided it was time for seperate baths.

Beth