POW/hostage, a Normal or weird Childhood games?

M

Mamaof5

I'm a little easier going I suppose. I think it's just like cops and robbers, cowboys and indians just that it's reflecting the times we find ourselves in globally now. The news is constantly playing things about the war in Iraq. They probably hear other adults around them talking about it, may have a family member in the service as well.

I would sit with the kids and flesh out rules of conduct. Maybe teach them about safety words when they get uncomfortable that they can say to stop the game. Keep them supervised as well and step in when it becomes apparent that one or more children are not comfortable or made to feel badly. I don't see a difference from that and the cops & robbers games we used to play as kids in all honesty.

busywend

I think it is a normal game. I think it seems innocent enough.

However, I do not recall playing the same thing over & over again much. How long has it been going on? Does any particular child insist on playing this game? Even if they all enjoy it and agree to it - is it one person bringing it up all the time. I would say if it goes on for more than 2 weeks it is time to find a new game.

baseballmothe

As I began to type my response I thought it was weird that the first post was a few days ahead, but then I realized that this was done last year around this time, lol. I was talking to some friends recently and my kids used to play something somewhat similar and after doing a little internet research (yahoo search and such) this message board popped up.

I think overall this game is ok, but for one I think no tying or tickling should occur. I know someone had mentioned that pretending to harm is bad, but I would rather them use the imagination (meaning simply place your hands behind your back, etc and pretend they are bound). Mattsmom mentioned how some kids may seem to get way too into the game, what do you mean by becoming desensitized to holding people hostage? I guess it is ok as long as adults are nearby and no one is physically restrained. I do understand that can sometimes happen, kids will be kids. In my own experience at a family outing or two a child of mine was tied to a chair by some of his female cousins, which someone had said the guys shouldn't be tickling girls, but what about the other way around?

TerryJ2, your experience seems to be similar to my kids, a fairly innocent game. Let me ask you, you said that you played capture the flag and your big brother and little sister tied you to a tree or pole with twine? And they forgot about you and you had to knaw through the twine? What kind of twine was that that you were able to do that, lol? Just reading that makes my teeth hurt. Do you remember how old you were, and how many people played? I think it sounds creative, similar to the kind of games my kids would play. Their was a time or two of being tied to a chair and shot with water guns (on really hot days, by his female cousins, usiing their jump rope if i remember). What were the rules in your case? And don't get me wrong, your experience does sound more innocent and normal than this pow game. What do you mean no one would have interrogated you because you were boring?

I love posts like this where we all can share our opinions. And don't get me wrong I skimed over your responses and if I disagree I respectfully disagree, I would like your input.

scott4431

I have an opinion and more of a response later as procrastination continues and vaguely read some responses, I am drawing a major blank here, how do you play capture the flag?

Marguerite

This is an old thread, but the last question is valid.

As far as I understand, "capture the flag" is similar to how you play paintball - it's like war. There is a home fort being defended and another team trying to take the fort. When you capture the flag on top of the fort, you win. Unless it was your job to defend the flag, in which case you lose.

Marg