Prayers, good thoughts, bead rattling, etc. for Star's family

nvts

We've added your family to our dinner and bedtime prayers (and squished you into our bedtime "family song"). We're rattling away for all of you!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Family

Thank you ever so much for the prayers and well wishes! (Stang thanks so much once again for letting everyone know about us - you are a GEM! I love you! Nancy - we are in Massillon/Canton)

My sister and niece were headed to Cleveland to the playhouse theater. The roads had been bad but reports from the highway patrol were that they were clear and good. I guess there had been a lot of ice storms here in Ohio. Sister has a newer 2010 Ford Focus - I think. The seatbelt did not snap - the seat did. The belt was undone by a passer-by.

Sister's closest recollection of what happened was that the roads looked good, she was traveling around 60mph, saw a 'rut' of slush, slowed down, went into a fishtail (I suspect black ice) and she said the last thing she remembered was pushing her arm over my niece and saying "HANG ON" the car flipped front over end then went rolling side over side four more times and then flipped upside down. They were not conscious of it. On comming traffic in the oncomming lane on the opposite side of the highway on witnessed it and stopped - witnesses said they were astounded anyone survived.

The car? I'll tell you this and I've said it before - My hat is off to crash test ratings - because this car had air bags they didn't even know existed. There were air bags of course in the side doors - in the SEATS - and some how the front air bags never deployed. ALL the glass is gone - the center hubs of the tires are pointing UP and the wheels are off the rims. Most amazing to me is the roof and doors are NOT crushed.....Thankful for better built cars. I expected something like a pancake. They hit so hard, so many times the engine split in two.

My niece got some pretty good bruises and cuts, otherwise just scared and shaken, and when she came to? Her Mom there upside down telling people DO NOT MOVE ME.

Trying to talk to genius sister is another thing - (ahhhhhhh) Can I have it in simple to understand terms? My C-5 lateral, blah blah and my arterial........(what the dog hears) of course throw in some morphine, a little dilaudid and a splash of phenegrin? Yeah were having a party now.

What I understand is she has three shattered vertebrae in her neck, and at least one of them is crushing an artery that does something with blood to ------I dunno.
Except for the basketball swollen face, and the tons of stitches - she does have those pretty Kim Kardashian eyes - :flirtysmile3: - She liked that I said that.
Anyway - she's out of surgery now - it went VERY well - no complications. Surgeon said the most pain he expects will be from the incision they made in the front of her neck. Didn't see THAT one coming - But she'll be home in two days. Then six months to a year recovery.

Thanks again for all the prayers. The POWER OF THIS BOARD AND ALL THE LOVE HERE WORKS YET AGAIN! THANK YOU FROM MY FAMILY SO MUCH!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Wow! How scary!

Thanks for the good news - glad to hear that surgery went well...

Will continue to pray for speedy recovery!

busywend

Good news, Star! Glad the surgery went well.

Someone really powerful was watching over them! Thank goodness! Still sending out healing vibes to you & your family!

janebrain

Wow, Star, what an accident! I am so glad things are not any worse and the surgery went fine. Please take care of yourself, thinking of you,
Jane

DDD

I'm relieved to read your update Starbie. I'm aghast (2nd time this week on the Board) that people are sent home so quickly after major surgeries. Personally I think that's scarey. What happens to people without a support system, pray tell.

Anyway my caring thoughts and prayers are most sincere. DDD

AHHUM

Off board most of weekend, so just reading about this. So sorry Star. Healing thoughts & prayers sent to you & yours!

DammitJanet

Well...wow! Im most thankful to hear that little focus held up so well! Makes me want to go out and give my car a cookie.

Im very glad that things are not worse. Im sure that took a few years off your life!

Estherfromjerusalem

The accident sounds just horrific, a nightmare. It's a miracle that they survived that. I hope your sister recovers well. Sounds like the doctors did a wonderful job.

Love, Esther

Marguerite

That sounds like better news. Thanks for the update, Star.

The artery thing - I'm wondering if due to damage to other structures, there has been pressure on the carotid artery. If so, it would be doing things to her blood pressure and other things. Fixable, but a worry until they get to it.

Marg

Star,

I'm amazed the car held up as well as it did!!! What a miracle!!!

Thank you for the positive update - So glad her surgery is over!!! Praying hard for as quick a recovery as possible...

Keeping you and your family close in my thoughts... Hugs... SFR

Lothlorien

Wow, Star. It is truly amazing that your neice is in such good shape. Prayers being said for a good recovery for your sister. It's going to be a long rehab for her. She did not have any paralysis at all? That is just simply a miracle.

You are very brave for going to look at the car. I think I'd be shaken to the bone if I saw the car. How frightening for them.

Keeping your family in our prayers.

Mom2oddson

I'm so glad your sister made it through surgery without any problems. It really is a miracle that she and your niece are doing so well. Just reading your description of the accident sent shivers up my spine! I'll keep your family in my prayers.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank God niece is o.k. and that sister survived and is not paralyzed! She must have had her guardian angels working overtime that day. Sending prayers for a complete recovery!