Prayers Needed

mollyzuzu

I am in tears for you right now. My son came "close" to this one month ago. My hugs to you and your family, know that you have done the best that you can for your child. God loves us all. God bless

BloodiedButUnbowed

Thank you all so much.

Tonight is Back To School night, I have chosen to be here although I took today off, and will take tomorrow off as well. Unless he dies over the weekend, I'll be resuming my normal schedule on Monday.

There isn't much change. Some indications seem more positive but others are either unchanged or negative.

Today we found his suicide note on his phone. It was a memo titled simply, "Suicide". He stated: "Killing myself at 9 pm September 4 by taking 11,950 mg of (name of medication)" - almost three times the amount he told his girlfriend he took (2800 mg). He signed his full name, first middle and last. He must have presumed one of us would find it later. Not sure what if any difference it makes in his treatment, but we let the attending know and they will contact Poison Control which has been monitoring the case from the beginning.

His girlfriend and her mother came to visit him today. It was all very overwhelming and emotional and I tried not to crowd her, but I did thank her mother for alerting Dad so promptly. If nothing else, their actions gave him a few more hours of quality time with his father whom he loves so very much. By the time my wife and I arrived he was already unconscious and while he awoke briefly, he was never really lucid. He did tell my wife he loved her - something I know she will cherish forever.

He is showing signs of PHM which is post-hypoxic monoclonic status epilepticus. I am not a doctor and I am praying I am wrong about this but he is showing every single sign today, and it was triggered by us stroking his arms and talking to him which is indicated for this condition. Information below. Sorry for the mass text but I am shaky and not able to explain the condition adequately. If he does in fact have this, it is very unlikely he will ever function as a human being again.

PROGNOSIS

Myoclonic status epilepticus

• prognosis is extremely poor
  • In the largest published series of post-hypoxic MSE, Wijdicks and colleagues found that all 40 patients had intermittent generalized myoclonus involving both face and limb muscles. Stimuli, such as touch, tracheal suctioning, and loud handclaps triggered myoclonic jerks in most of the patients. None of the 40 patients who had acute post-hypoxic MSE awakened, improved in motor response, or survived.
  • meta-analysis of patients who had post-hypoxic MSE : of 134 pooled cases, 119 (88.8%) died, 11 (8.2%) remained in a persistent vegetative state, and 4 (3.0%) survived. Of the four patients who survived, two were described as having a good outcome.

Even if he has developed this syndrome I take some comfort in the fact that 1.5% of the patients described above did have a good outcome. Someone has to be in the 1.5% correct?

I have not shared this info on PHM with my wife because it will do no good. The physicians are skilled, he is getting excellent care and the hospital is among the very best in our state (it is a children's teaching hospital). If he has this the doctors will tell us. I think we are at least a couple days away from knowing.

I will update as more information is available.

Forumites in Irma's path, please clear out now.

I love you all. Thank you for being here.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Culturana
I know lock all of my medications in the family safe. Including Tylenol.
Your words encouraged me to attend Naranon and at last nights meeting a memebr lost their loved one to suicide. I instantly thought of you and your tremendously difficult time.

My heart along with so many others is with you and your family.

I am so hopeful for a recovery. Saying my prayers and sending courage, strength and love to all of you.

BloodiedButUnbowed

I just spoke to my wife and he is starting to show signs of regaining consciousness.

He can respond to commands to open his eyes!

Praying this is the beginning of his physical recovery. But too soon to know. He can still pass at any time but this is the best news we've had since he seized and coded two days ago.

Keep praying!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I just spoke to my wife and he is starting to show signs of regaining consciousness.

Praying this is the beginning of his physical recovery. But too soon to know. He can still pass at any time but this is the best news we've had since he seized and coded two days ago.

Keep praying!
Hope and prayers!!

JRC

C-

My heart leapt with your last post. You are so brave--but I know that you have to be. We're here for you.

xo

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thank you for the update culturanta.......we're with you.....praying, holding you all, hoping, waiting.....sending love, hugs and comfort......

.....we're here.....

susiestar

Roll With It
My hopes and prayers are with your son. I truly hope things will improve. It is such a tragedy when a child feels no other option but to end his life. Many hugs to you and your wife.

Sending prayers, the out loud, on my knees kind!

I have sat beside the hospital bed...unknowing, powerless, hoping and praying. May God be with you all as you wait and wait for His will to be done.

Soft, gentle, surrounding hugs.

S2T

You might ask the doctors if playing some of his favorite music would be allowed. Music is often something that patients remember hearing when they come out of an unconscious state. I would defiantly ask the medical staff first though, music stimulates the brain and they may prefer for him to rest.

HMBgal

I hope he's trending up! Please let this be true! Your family has been on my mind and in my heart so much today.

Keep praying!
Your resent post brought tears of happiness and hope.I will keep your family in my prayers tonight. Stay strong. We are all here for you.